The Partick Thistle thread

18 hours ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

Because Tynecastle and The Energy Check Stadium at Firhill won't be ready to host the game. Hearts are installing a hybrid surface and, as is evident in the photos of Thomas O'Ware's signing, Thistle are re-seeding the pitch and it won't be ready until the 17th of July. 

18 minutes ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

I'm sure the pitch will have been ready in time for a home game on the 14th July had we been given one. :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Not being a gardener or groundsman is 6 days critical in growing grass ?

Not being a primary school teacher is the difference between 14th and 17th July 6 days? 

2 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

Not being a gardener or groundsman is 6 days critical in growing grass ?

Eight weeks is the optimum growing period I'm led to believe. As we didn't get started until after our play off exploits, eight weeks takes us to around the 17th July. Playing a couple of days earlier wouldn't have been a big deal. Playing a meaningless friendly on it around 10 days before the eight weeks is up would be foolish. Neither our pitch or the one at Tynecastle would be ready, so playing it at Cowdenbeath, where they clearly don't have the resource to dig it up and plant it again every year, gives an opportunity for an open door friendly before the Betfred Cup. 

2 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

The 1st league cup games are on 14th. We just don’t have a game, but the other 4 teams in our group do.

We play on the 14th which is the 1st fixture of the groups. You made a c**t of this to begin with yet continue to make even more of a c**t of it, just give up.

On 6/6/2018 at 14:47, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Starting to get the horrible gut feeling that we're on a hiding to nothing this season, and that Archibald's task of getting us back up at the first time of asking is borderline impossible. There's just way, way too much squad surgery, from back to front, needed in such a short space of time to meet the demands of getting back up first time of asking (automatically or through the playoffs). I reckon we'll draw 10+ league games over next season due to being in transition, and if we are to go up there's more chance of us having to do it via the playoffs than as league winners.

Saying all that, I get why the aim has to be very short term since top flight football is crucial to the clubs financial health, I just can't see it happening this season.

I'm still assuming the 3 transfer listed guys will get moves elsewhere and Bannigan is done as a full time player.

Given the travails of multiple seasons in the top flight, with late (including panic) signings, late substitutions, late goals against and players who were so old they were almost late too (indeed, in footballing terms, many clearly were, judging from the last season's result), it would be  hugely optimistic to expect many changes.

Either the board will end up showing it's soft by allowing more than one season in the Championship without any serious change at the top, or they're being devious enough to buy time to line up an alternative management team, with the excuse of their statement for dropping their man when the bottom falls out of the approaching season.

The real aim for the forthcoming season has to be survival in the Championship, after the freefall instituted by the thrawn refusal to adapt timeously in the top flight. Tough times ahead, I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, KelvindaleJag said:

Given the travails of multiple seasons in the top flight, with late (including panic) signings, late substitutions, late goals against and players who were so old they were almost late too (indeed, in footballing terms, many clearly were, judging from the last season's result), it would be  hugely optimistic to expect many changes.

Either the board will end up showing it's soft by allowing more than one season in the Championship without any serious change at the top, or they're being devious enough to buy time to line up an alternative management team, with the excuse of their statement for dropping their man when the bottom falls out of the approaching season.

The real aim for the forthcoming season has to be survival in the Championship, after the freefall instituted by the thrawn refusal to adapt timeously in the top flight. Tough times ahead, I'm afraid.

Yep - and all for the sake of a single point.

6 minutes ago, Reid said:

Screenshot_20180609-002832.thumb.jpg.40727ce6c30feecbee623b52545863b6.jpg

I like him.

Unless he signs for Ro£€ C0unt ¥

Are we just going to be linked with former players?

If RC or DU are willing to throw money at Frans then I wouldn't bother pursuing him. 
It was a higher standard but he was far from exceptional in the Premiership. A bottom 6 Prem defender who was  slightly better than Seabourne and was frequently injured.

I'd see what else is out there.

If RC or DU are willing to throw money at Frans then I wouldn't bother pursuing him. 
It was a higher standard but he was far from exceptional in the Premiership. A bottom 6 Prem defender who was  slightly better than Seabourne and was frequently injured.

I liked Freddie but I agree with this. Everyone needs to relax and trust that the players Archie and the board are after we can get. If we don’t sign him there is a reason why and I have faith in that. Let’s see what happens in next couple of weeks. I have a feeling a couple of new bodies will be coming in.

5 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Agree. Tbh if there was any truth to the rumour we are trying to sign Halkett (which is probably unlikely) I would much rather we concentrated on doing everything to get Halkett in rather than Frans

15 hours ago, KelvindaleJag said:

Not sure how you can say that in the knowledge that we still need to bring in at least 8 players. Let's see who signs before we condemn ourself to a relegation battle!

6 hours ago, third lanark said:

Agree. Tbh if there was any truth to the rumour we are trying to sign Halkett (which is probably unlikely) I would much rather we concentrated on doing everything to get Halkett in rather than Frans

Surely it is better to have a number of interests rather than putting all your eggs in one basket and having your back up option removed in the event you can't get your first choice target(if Halkett is indeed even a target).