The Partick Thistle thread

13 hours ago, Reid said:

Would definitely take Cammy Bell if he’s free. Wouldn’t be too keen on Gaston but we could do a lot worse. Hopefully we don’t go down the route of Hazard or some young keeper who’s barely played any 1st team games.

Cammy Bell a free agent as far as I know. Apparently Buffon leaving Juve too... 

Quite like the idea of big Frans coming back, especially if teams decide hoof puntery is the way to go against us. 

10 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Cammy Bell a free agent as far as I know. Apparently Buffon leaving Juve too... 

Quite like the idea of big Frans coming back, especially if teams decide hoof puntery is the way to go against us. 

A lot of chat of Bell coming to us, worked with Ray before etc...

Starting to get the horrible gut feeling that we're on a hiding to nothing this season, and that Archibald's task of getting us back up at the first time of asking is borderline impossible. There's just way, way too much squad surgery, from back to front, needed in such a short space of time to meet the demands of getting back up first time of asking (automatically or through the playoffs). I reckon we'll draw 10+ league games over next season due to being in transition, and if we are to go up there's more chance of us having to do it via the playoffs than as league winners.

Saying all that, I get why the aim has to be very short term since top flight football is crucial to the clubs financial health, I just can't see it happening this season.

I'm still assuming the 3 transfer listed guys will get moves elsewhere and Bannigan is done as a full time player.

24 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

if we are to go up there's more chance of us having to do it via the playoffs than as league winners.

Surely that's the aim. I don't think anyone expects us to win the league.

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

By which you mean give the ball to Devine.

I mean more more when we have the ball but we he gets the ball he tends to just hoof it straight to the opponent.

3 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Starting to get the horrible gut feeling that we're on a hiding to nothing this season, and that Archibald's task of getting us back up at the first time of asking is borderline impossible. There's just way, way too much squad surgery, from back to front, needed in such a short space of time to meet the demands of getting back up first time of asking (automatically or through the playoffs). I reckon we'll draw 10+ league games over next season due to being in transition, and if we are to go up there's more chance of us having to do it via the playoffs than as league winners.

Saying all that, I get why the aim has to be very short term since top flight football is crucial to the clubs financial health, I just can't see it happening this season.

I'm still assuming the 3 transfer listed guys will get moves elsewhere and Bannigan is done as a full time player.

It's obviously going to be pretty difficult to gel what will be 70% a brand new squad. I don't expect us to be threatening for the title but the promotion playoffs should be a reasonable ambition. Even as a pessimist I'm not giving up on the season before the World Cup kicks off*

*unless we re-sign Ryan Scully

I thought I'd take a moment to have a haemo at this utter bullshitter's chutzpah. I suppose a healthy conceit of oneself isn't a bad thing sometimes. Similarly, a little self-awareness is in order. It's amazing how quickly you can go  off ex-players.

Ryan Edwards aims to help Hearts back into European competition after signing a two-year contract following the midfielder's exit from Partick Thistle.

The 24-year-old spent three seasons at Firhill after leaving Reading.

"The ambition is there on a personal level to be in a team that's going to challenge for cups, challenge at the top end of the table, try and get into Europe next season," he said.

"One massive reason I came to the club is the ambition of everyone here."

Edwards left Thistle, for whom he made 108 appearances, following the Glasgow club's relegation from the Scottish Premiership.

But, having been impressed by manager Craig Levein's vision of the future and his own role in the Hearts team, the Australian hopes to match the ambitions of his new club's supporters by competing at the other end of the table.

"The fans here are incredible," he told the Edinburgh club's website. "Being in the stand as a fan watching and obviously being in the opposition is really intimidating.

"As the opposition, you want to try and upset the crowd and you know that the fans here set such high standards for everyone at the club.

"And I want to be part of that and try and match the ambitions of the fans and the club."

4 minutes ago, Dr Koop said:

I thought I'd take a moment to have a haemo at this utter bullshitter's chutzpah. I suppose a healthy conceit of oneself isn't a bad thing sometimes. Similarly, a little self-awareness is in order. It's amazing how quickly you can go  off ex-players.

Pretty standard chat, tbf.

Seems to me it's just a guy trying to ingratiate himself with the supporters of his new club. I really don't get the current Ryan Edwards hate-in. He did the best he could while he was here and now he has quite legitimately got himself a better gig elsewhere. Good luck to the guy.

Seems to me it's just a guy trying to ingratiate himself with the supporters of his new club. I really don't get the current Ryan Edwards hate-in. He did the best he could while he was here and now he has quite legitimately got himself a better gig elsewhere. Good luck to the guy.

I agree. Whilst with us he gave his all. He’ll do the same for this new employer. And so on and so forth just as we do in our jobs.

He was a very good professional and was one of the fittest guys we had on the books. He didn’t develop season on season as we’d have wanted and so this year underperformed but so did most of the squad.

Good luck to him I say.

Time to look forward to the 8-10 new bodies Archie has to sign in the next month.

[emoji51]

I don’t get the Edwards hate either, but I do find it astounding that he’s managed to end up at Hearts despite having no real footballing ability. The only thing he’s good at is running about a lot, so it’s surprising that a player who wasn’t a standout in a godawful squad which was relegated has managed to get a better move from this. Fair play to him.

He said he didn't want to play Championship football as soon as we went down. Reeked of arrogance to me, when his performances suggested he was really no better than said level.

As someone else said on here, he was a "try hard" and no more. Cheerio.