The Partick Thistle thread

On 20/05/2018 at 23:06, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Cerny would be great in the 2nd tier; he's understandably not quite at the standard he set in his POTY season but he's not very erratic. If he could kick the ball a bit further he'd have played for a bigger club than us. Plus I've got the fear we'd end up with Ryan Scully as first choice or a Bryn Halliwell or Graeme Smith level keeper to replace him if he goes.

Oh, crumbs.

Not as disappointed to lose Cerny as I may once have been but still a blow that I didn't see coming. Fully expect to see him back in Scotland in January, probably at County or United.

My money is on Leo Fasan as his replacement.

4 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Who else had a release clause that's decided to stay? Keown?

Dools, Erskine, Christie and Spittal.

Not sure what the script was with McCarthy and Penrice's contracts.

Keown, Barton and Storey never had the clause; otherwise, I suspect they'd all be long gone.

Edited by Armand 2

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

Gutted.
Relived that Scully has gone and he won't be No1.

Who else had a release clause that's decided to stay? Keown?

Keown, Storey and Barton I'd imagine either had no clause since we paid money for them or knew they wouldn't get similar money elsewhere so are sticking around.

I'd guess those in the retained list like Erskine, Doolan, Spittal, Elliott and Penrice are those who opted to stay.

41 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Does anyone know if Sneddon is any good/remotely near ready for the first team? I have horror visions of us ending up with some Colin Stewart-esque diddy.

He didn't look as good as Scully whenever we played against him. 

Im slightly more happy than angry Cerny has gone. His kicking was shite, he stopped commanding his area or marshalling the defence around, and others have alluded to him having a few clangers. His slowness never helped us maintain momentum and always killed any chance of counter attacks. 

Young Sneddon must be buzzing right now. 

7 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

That Gaston fella from Morton?

If we sign Jim Duffy's playoff placed Morton jobbers and then throw in Elliott, Dools, Erskine and few other random English black dudes then we'll skate this shite league.

We have goalies if you need goalies.  Conor Hazard, full Northern Ireland International available for loan.  How about Dorus de Vries?  Dependable (ish) veteran.

Someone please sign our players, we have too many of them!

So on the worst case scenario numbers wise (3 transfer listed all leave and Bannigan is fully broken) that leaves us with:

GK: Sneddon

FB: Elliott, Penrice,

CB: O'Ware

CM: McCarthy, Wilson

AM: Erskine, Spittal

CF: Doolan

Should be a few quid left in the wage budget if that scenario arises.

Wouldn’t mind Gaston. Morton’s defence was actually pretty good statistically last season (any Morton fans could give us a better insight). He might not be good enough to make the step up if we were to go up but could definitely do a job for us. Also, him being familiar with O’Ware could be useful since our defence is changing so drastically.

16 minutes ago, AitchisonJag said:

Wouldn’t mind Gaston. Morton’s defence was actually pretty good statistically last season (any Morton fans could give us a better insight). He might not be good enough to make the step up if we were to go up but could definitely do a job for us. Also, him being familiar with O’Ware could be useful since our defence is changing so drastically.

No idea if Neil Alexander is being kept with Livi next season but I actually thought he was better than cerny in the 2 playoff games 

3 minutes ago, third lanark said:

No idea if Neil Alexander is being kept with Livi next season but I actually thought he was better than cerny in the 2 playoff games 

...also seemed to have absorbed Tomas's time wasting abilities...

He's also about 75 years old and a monumental drop off will be coming sometime soon. We've got pretty much a clean slate and 2 guys in the skeleton of the squad that remains over 30 already. Probably need a couple more experienced heads but not someone of that age.

32 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

That Gaston fella from Morton?

If we sign Jim Duffy's playoff placed Morton jobbers and then throw in Elliott, Dools, Erskine and few other random English black dudes then we'll skate this shite league.

When you say play-off placed .. You ken Morton were 7th?

Our defence had the best record in the league after about 2 thirds of the season despite some significant weaknesses in there. None of the players were without their faults or errors though but for the most part as a unit they were fine.

Gaston has been a good servant to Morton. Most fans would be relatively content if he stays. Great shot stopper, often pulls of saves that seem absolutely preposterous. His distribution, commanding of his area at crosses and positioning can be a bit erratic though. That seems like a lot of negatives but really he is a more than able goalkeeper at this level.

Those that would like to see a change are either caught up in the fact that changes are being made so don't see any position as immune to that or look at whether they think Gaston is good enough for a team looking to find the consistency to gain promotion, and with his weaknesses that is debatable.

He has had several periods of lost form/confidence in his time with us, losing his place at different times to such goalkeeping giants as Nico Caraux, Grant Adam and Andy McNeil.

Very likeable player, perfectly capable for a middling championship team when he is on it but I am in the 'if there's better available, we should go for it' camp.