The Partick Thistle thread

Regardless of the decision, at least we can prepare for next season straight away. Good to hear that there’ll be a clear out and sounds like Archie will be backed well financially. Pleasantly surprised no non playing staff will be cut (this season at least) and that the training ground is still going ahead.

Some good positivity in that STATEMENT. Player clearout, no non-playing redundancies and some dates for the training complex at last.

Can Archibald rise to the challenge? I appreciate his sentiment in wanting to do it for the club and not himself but does that attitude work in professional football? I guess we're gonna find out.

So who we wanting to sign then?

I wouldn't mind Tam O'Ware, Chris Millar, the Livi targets mentioned in January aren't happening but would be pretty lol

A pacey winger that gets to the byline and delivers a cross that reaches the intended target would be nice

A thug or two wouldn't go a miss either

3 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Some good positivity in that STATEMENT. Player clearout, no non-playing redundancies and some dates for the training complex at last.

Can Archibald rise to the challenge? I appreciate his sentiment in wanting to do it for the club and not himself but does that attitude work in professional football? I guess we're gonna find out.

Maybe he's offered to work for free next season, given that relegation has cost us about a million quid?

8 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

I wouldn't mind Tam O'Ware, Chris Millar, the Livi targets mentioned in January aren't happening but would be pretty lol

A pacey winger that gets to the byline and delivers a cross that reaches the intended target would be nice

All those things. Particularly a pacey winger with a final ball, and someone who can beat the first man at set-pieces (ie not Martin Woods).

13 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

3 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

All those things. Particularly a pacey winger with a final ball, and someone who can beat the first man at set-pieces (ie not Martin Woods).

A midfield and a central defence would be nice :angel

Chris Millar would be a terrific signing. If he ends up in the championship he'll stroll through games  - he still looked like one of our better players in the season just past.

One top six position is all of note. Floating about the same positions in the bottom six are meaningless all in. Yes, and it was his job to improve on that. Particularly if we were at arguably our strongest position in those two decades.

Well, if you really expect Thistle to regularly be in the top 6 and not in a relegation battle then you are going to be disappointed more often than not.
There are 5 clubs in this country that more often than not are going to occupy the top 5 spots - so that leaves 1 place for the other 7 to be fighting for.
And don’t come back with “loser” attitude or whatever. That is just not realistic

Archie staying! https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/archibald-to-stay-as-manager-as-thistle-plots-way-back-to-premiership/

Time for us whether we agree or not to get behind this new team build, the gaffer and board.

Statement addresses many areas even the commitment of the new training ground.

Budget to be maintained and to be competitive to assist Archie.

You can’t argue that this is not decisive and clear.

4 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Well, if you really expect Thistle to regularly be in the top 6 and not in a relegation battle then you are going to be disappointed more often than not.
There are 5 clubs in this country that more often than not are going to occupy the top 5 spots - so that leaves 1 place for the other 7 to be fighting for.
And don’t come back with “loser” attitude or whatever. That is just not realistic

You have clearly ignored every single point I have made in the past few pages which covers your reply so I am just going to chalk you off as someone not worth engaging with. Have a nice day.

11 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Hibs have only been in the top 5 twice in the last 10 years (4th in 2010 and 2018).

Hearts have been outside the top 5 as often as not in the last ten years.

Before McInnes showed up, Aberdeen had been in the bottom six for four years in a row.

Arguably things have changed a bit recently, but saying it's unrealistic for the other clubs to break top 5 is going too far.

Edited by JamesM82

9 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Fair point, but I believe we can also fairly ask our players to at least take the club one place higher in the league at the end of each season. Last year was, for obvious reasons, exceptional.

11 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Fine, but it's not "unrealistic" to expect a club with solid resources and stability to be punching at the top of the pack of the best of the rest consistently.

Chris Miller would be great.

Would imagine O’Ware will want a Premiership team, and the livi boys won’t be happening.

A centre back capable of occasionally going through entire games without making numerous basic mistakes would be lovely.