The Partick Thistle thread

I'd sound Craigan out about the job.

The season's been blighted by injuries to key players and you can point to some crucial refereeing decisions that didn't go our way (Celtic and Hearts at home, and Hibs away), but it's tactical ineptitude, poor team selections and, now, player apathy that's left us facing relegation. The buck stops with the manager.

Two games in particular continue to irritate me to this day: Celtic in the Scottish Cup and the second Dundee game at Firhill.

Celtic were there for the taking on 10 February. Winning that game would have given us a huge boost ahead of a vital run of games. But no, Archie starts a weaker team than he did in the previous round against Queens.

And what's left to be said about the Dundee game that hasn't been said already? One nil up and cruising at half time, yet Archie inexplicably changes our formation in the second half and allows Dundee back into the game. It was clear to everyone in the ground that whatever he was attempting wasn't working, but rather than switching things back he sticks with it until the inevitable occurs.

44 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion, and possibly/probably out of our reach, but Robbie Neilson is out of work. Wouldn't be averse to him replacing Archie at all.

I’ve thought for a while that he could b a good replacement for Archibald.

I'd forgotten about Neilson until last night when the missus suggested him.

He might be out of our reach, as you say, but where does he go from here? An unsuccessful year at MK Dons isn't likely to open many doors down south.

I think people would be surprised at the calibre of the applicant. It’s getting harder and harder for experienced, out of work managers to find work in England. Players and managers who wouldn’t have been seen dead in Scottish football only a few seasons ago are now using our game to re-build their reputations.  Steve Clarke, Malumbu, Caulker, Scott Sinclair, Brendan Rodgers and Owen Coyle*are  some examples of this.

* I’m fully aware that Owen Coyle was an unmitigated disaster at Ross County and he’s been a failure as a manager at almost every club he’s been at. I was just surprised he took the job in the first place as I always got the impression that any job in Scotland would be far too small for his ego.

Given that it is very clear that Archie doesn't have good motivational/communication skills, we need someone who can galvanise the team into actually giving a shit - for 6 or so matches.  I wonder if Doolan could be used in some sort of capacity here.  He is revered by the fans - the players will know this and it may well be that they would respond to his input at this stage in the season.

8 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

I think people would be surprised at the calibre of the applicant. It’s getting harder and harder for experienced, out of work managers to find work in England. Players and managers who wouldn’t have been seen dead in Scottish football only a few seasons ago are now using our game to re-build their reputations.  Steve Clarke, Malumbu, Caulker, Scott Sinclair, Brendan Rodgers and Owen Coyle*are  some examples of this.

* I’m fully aware that Owen Coyle was an unmitigated disaster at Ross County and he’s been a failure as a manager at almost every club he’s been at. I was just surprised he took the job in the first place as I always got the impression that any job in Scotland would be far too small for his ego.

You know fine well your next manager is Steven Pressley 

Team selection and favouritism has done it for me

1st 1/2 of the season he moans about no balance or LB/LWB. Last night he puts Elliot on the left and McGinn as RWB (who is clearly a defensive RB). This resulted in negating any quick fluid wing play..THEN he brings on Booth.. He’s also hardly played Penrice since his loan ended which has been pointlessly disrupted development.

The CM situation is a disgrace. The only one that looks interested is McCarthy, yet is 1st one dropped ALWAYS. Osman and his clothing brand can f**k off, Woods flatters to deceive and there ends our CM options..(no Edwards n Barton don’t count).

Despite his off field antics making a section of the support dislike him, Lawless is probably our best footballer yet nowhere to be seen...

We started last night with Lawless, Erskine, Doolan and Spittal (shitebag i know..) on the bench. Then brought them on when chasing the game. If we can’t defend then why aren’t all our attacking players on to start with THEN bring on the shitfesters if there’s something to hold on for..

11th would be a miracle but just prolong the inevitable. 

ETA. The approach of OF games being throw-aways so plays the youngsters - who then do well! To then be rewarded with being put back in the stands next game is infuriating. 

Edited by cilitbang

1 hour ago, GrahamJags said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion, and possibly/probably out of our reach, but Robbie Neilson is out of work. Wouldn't be averse to him replacing Archie at all.

I'd go with this as well. Not a bad shout at all. 

10 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Really agree with this and is an excellent counter argument to the Archie fan boys on Facebook constantly peddling the "who do we replace him with" honestly so tired of hearing this. As if it's impossible to conceive of anyone better than Alan Archibald. 

I'm happy to stick with the status quo when folk start mentioning Ian McCall, Jim Duffy, Jackie McNamara and, on the basis of a text I received this morning, Lee Clark, though.

23 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Neil Lennon pointed at that when he took the Hibs job, as some folk were a bit surprised he would take a job in the Scottish Championship. He said something to the effect of that there are only ~120 manager jobs at fully-pro clubs in the UK, and there are far more people than that who are capable of doing them. If you're too picky you end up doing nothing.

Really agree with this and is an excellent counter argument to the Archie fan boys on Facebook constantly peddling the "who do we replace him with" honestly so tired of hearing this. As if it's impossible to conceive of anyone better than Alan Archibald. 

That’s just it. To some within our support, having Alan Archibald as manager is more important that having someone competent as manager.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You know fine well your next manager is Steven Pressley 

Thankfully Pressley thinks he’s way too big for us.

16 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I'd go with this as well. Not a bad shout at all. 

“Aye, but who would you replace him with!?’ is maybe the most moronic phrase ever uttered during a discussion about a manager under pressure. It was constantly wheeled out when Strachan was nearing the end of his Scotland reign.

9 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

I'm happy to stick with the status quo when folk start mentioning Ian McCall, Jim Duffy, Jackie McNamara and, on the basis of a text I received this morning, Lee Clark, though.

Any one of those is a terrifying prospect. Funnily enough, I was saying to my mates recently that I fully expect McNamara to apply should the job become available. He’s that mental.

5 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Has Archibald been punted?

Nah, the board won't act until we're arithmetically down. Even then it would be a case of if he walks or not, imo.

1 minute ago, jagfox99 said:

Nah, the board won't act until we're arithmetically down. Even then it would be a case of if he walks or not, imo.

I can't remember the stats exactly, but I'm pretty sure we were in a very similar (if not identical) position last season when we sacked Hartley. It's now or never for you guys imo.