The Partick Thistle thread

From an outsider looking in, it appears Thistle have gone a bit stale, same old routine for some players if you will, a clear out is definately needed as a lot of your normally reliable players seem to be just going through the motions.

Archie should be given a chance to rebuild regardless of which division you end up in, he got you promotion & last season's top 6 finish so, imo he's a decent manager, who deserves the chance to make amends.

From a personal point of view hopefully you stay up as Firhill is a cracking day out for us Killie chaps.... All the best for the rest of the season.

He did get top 6, and saw us over the line to promotion (which I don’t think we would have done with Jackie at the helm) but if he’s to get credit for that, then he must also take the blame for the monumental shitshow this season has been.

His persistence in choosing Osman, who at best is out of form and more likely has chucked it, has cost us a lot of goals recently, and is all the more baffling when McCarthy has played well for the most part. Going into the season with 2 fit centre midfielders was absolutely ridiculous, as was relying on Bannigan to stay fit, Osman to come back and immediately be as good as he can be, or Fraser to make any meaningful contribution considering he hasn’t done so for 3 seasons now.

He has no idea how to stop us conceding late goals, and now we seemingly have no idea how to score any goals at all either. We’ve failed to score in about half our league matches this season, it’s absolutely dire stuff. We need a major clear out in the summer, regardless of which division we’re in. Osman, Barton, Devine, Spittal, Dumbuya and Fraser should all go to start with. There’s others that could very well be in the same boat.

I’ll back Archie till the end of the season, as he won’t be pushed, but regardless of what happens, I think it’s time for something fresh. Even if he keeps us up, my opinion on that won’t change.

23 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He has no idea how to stop us conceding late goals, and now we seemingly have no idea how to score any goals at all either. We’ve failed to score in about half our league matches this season, it’s absolutely dire stuff.

I had to double-check for myself.   16 matches out of 33 Thistle have failed to score, ten of those are away matches.  I thought County had been bad at that this season (11 in total, three home and eight away).

Edited by bunglebonce

On 08/04/2018 at 17:20, oneteaminglasgow said:

He did get top 6, and saw us over the line to promotion (which I don’t think we would have done with Jackie at the helm) but if he’s to get credit for that, then he must also take the blame for the monumental shitshow this season has been.

His persistence in choosing Osman, who at best is out of form and more likely has chucked it, has cost us a lot of goals recently, and is all the more baffling when McCarthy has played well for the most part. Going into the season with 2 fit centre midfielders was absolutely ridiculous, as was relying on Bannigan to stay fit, Osman to come back and immediately be as good as he can be, or Fraser to make any meaningful contribution considering he hasn’t done so for 3 seasons now.

He has no idea how to stop us conceding late goals, and now we seemingly have no idea how to score any goals at all either. We’ve failed to score in about half our league matches this season, it’s absolutely dire stuff. We need a major clear out in the summer, regardless of which division we’re in. Osman, Barton, Devine, Spittal, Dumbuya and Fraser should all go to start with. There’s others that could very well be in the same boat.

I’ll back Archie till the end of the season, as he won’t be pushed, but regardless of what happens, I think it’s time for something fresh. Even if he keeps us up, my opinion on that won’t change.

I’m not convinced Spittal deserves a harder time of it than Storey who seems to be getting off very lightly from fans.

spittal is the youngest regular squad player so I wasn’t expecting as much from him as someone like Storey (pen rice and McCarthy are of course younger but for an unfathomable reason do not get regular games)

spittal has actually scored over 3 times the number of goals off Storey. I was delighted when Storey signed but to say he has been massively disappointing is an understatement 

mine of his attributes is his pace but even the relatively calm Michael max was going off his nut when he was being beaten by pace by Berra of all people.  Same against Accies away max was astonished at the lack of effort from miles who was failing to beat his man.

29 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

WAT summed up in one nauseating super fan post.

image.png

You get similar with Saints who lived through our bottom division days. 

Twelve game winless run with no goals? Don't you dare call that shit, as you know what shit is? Sitting near the bottom of the bottom tier, nothings as shit as that. 

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You get similar with Saints who lived through our bottom division days. 

Twelve game winless run with no goals? Don't you dare call that shit, as you know what shit is? Sitting near the bottom of the bottom tier, nothings as shit as that. 

You weren't there man.

One decent thread from WAT.  Stats watch. 

BRUTAL STATS GALORE

• There's no appearance for Ryan Edwards, ending a run of 8 months not out for the player. The unsettled nature of the Thistle eleven at the moment (a ridiculous running tally of 66 changes in 14 games in 2018) is underlined by the fact that Baily Cargill (11) is the only player to currently be sitting with a double figures unbroken run in competitive action.
  • Thistle lose to nil for the fourth consecutive time in the League, and, quite remarkably, Archie's Jags equal the club-record which they themselves already jointly hold. The record run of 4 was first set in 1895 and matched in 1988, 2010 and 2015.
  • Following a similar run in August/September 2015, Thistle fail to score in a 5th consecutive competitive match. The all-time club-record (6) was set by George Easton's side in 1921 and equalled by Lambie's Jags in 1999.
  • Thistle have played 531 minutes without a Premiership goal, and currently have the embarrassing distinction of sitting with the longest goal-less run in the 10 main British Leagues of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
  • Thistle have failed to score in 16 of this season's 33 League matches. The 48.5% ratio remains on course to be the club's highest failure rate of all-time.
  • Thistle's goal difference falls to -31 and is on course to set a new club-record.
  • Thistle's goals-per-game ratio in the League falls to 0.79 (26 in 33) and is on course to register as the club's lowest return of all-time.
  • Thistle have lost to nil in 42.4% (14) of their League games this season, a ratio which is on course to be the club's worst of all-time.
  • Thistle have failed to score against Kilmarnock in 4 successive games at Firhill.
  • For the first time since season 1960-61, Thistle are whitewashed by Killie in the League; 3 defeats out of 3.
  • Thistle haven't beaten Killie at Firhill since Alex Burns netted a hat-trick in a top-flight encounter back in November, 2002. It's now 11 competitive home games without a win since then, and yet another unwanted H2H record is subsequently extended.

ongoing sequences:

• 10 competitive games without a win, 3rd Feb 2018 to date. (Longest run since: 13 games; 9th May 2015 to 26th Sep 2015. Club-record: 26 games; 28th Nov 1908 to 25th Aug 1909.)
  • 14 competitive games without a clean-sheet away from home, 4th Nov 2017 to date. (Longest run since: 14 games; 31st Jan 1996 to 5th Oct 1996. Club-record: 89 games; 31st Oct 1885 to 23rd Jan 1897.)
  • 11 consecutive competitive appearances for Baily Cargill, 23rd Jan 2018 to date. (Longest run since: Ryan Edwards - 35 games; 8th Aug 2017 to 3rd Apr 2018. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

Someone below then highlighted that we also failed to beat any of the top 6 this year and took only 4 from 54 points available against them.

•  

I’m not convinced Spittal deserves a harder time of it than Storey who seems to be getting off very lightly from fans.
spittal is the youngest regular squad player so I wasn’t expecting as much from him as someone like Storey (pen rice and McCarthy are of course younger but for an unfathomable reason do not get regular games)
spittal has actually scored over 3 times the number of goals off Storey. I was delighted when Storey signed but to say he has been massively disappointing is an understatement 
mine of his attributes is his pace but even the relatively calm Michael max was going off his nut when he was being beaten by pace by Berra of all people.  Same against Accies away max was astonished at the lack of effort from miles who was failing to beat his man.

Far be it from me to question Michael Max, but every time I’ve seen Storey play he’s put in the effort. He’s quite bad at football, but he tries.

Spittal is comparatively good at football, but spends his time on the pitch hiding and shiteing it out of tackles.

Watching Storey this year, it's amazing to think that he managed 13 goals in that season with Inverness.

He's really not very good. Completely brainless. His only attribute is kicking the ball 20 yards in front of him and outpacing the defender to get it. Which, in fairness to him, can be effective at times, and has resulted in a few goals for us this season. But surely he can't have scored loads of goals just doing that?

Edited by Nightmare

Spittal strikes me as a Summer football player.. It feels like that's when he got most of his goals too. The worse the weather, the more "battle-esq" the game becomes, the more he hides/shites it. We can get a good 1st 1/2 season out of him then punt him in January.

BRUTAL STATS GALORE

• There's no appearance for Ryan Edwards, ending a run of 8 months not out for the player. The unsettled nature of the Thistle eleven at the moment (a ridiculous running tally of 66 changes in 14 games in 2018) is underlined by the fact that Baily Cargill (11) is the only player to currently be sitting with a double figures unbroken run in competitive action.
  • Thistle lose to nil for the fourth consecutive time in the League, and, quite remarkably, Archie's Jags equal the club-record which they themselves already jointly hold. The record run of 4 was first set in 1895 and matched in 1988, 2010 and 2015.
  • Following a similar run in August/September 2015, Thistle fail to score in a 5th consecutive competitive match. The all-time club-record (6) was set by George Easton's side in 1921 and equalled by Lambie's Jags in 1999.
  • Thistle have played 531 minutes without a Premiership goal, and currently have the embarrassing distinction of sitting with the longest goal-less run in the 10 main British Leagues of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
  • Thistle have failed to score in 16 of this season's 33 League matches. The 48.5% ratio remains on course to be the club's highest failure rate of all-time.
  • Thistle's goal difference falls to -31 and is on course to set a new club-record.
  • Thistle's goals-per-game ratio in the League falls to 0.79 (26 in 33) and is on course to register as the club's lowest return of all-time.
  • Thistle have lost to nil in 42.4% (14) of their League games this season, a ratio which is on course to be the club's worst of all-time.
  • Thistle have failed to score against Kilmarnock in 4 successive games at Firhill.
  • For the first time since season 1960-61, Thistle are whitewashed by Killie in the League; 3 defeats out of 3.
  • Thistle haven't beaten Killie at Firhill since Alex Burns netted a hat-trick in a top-flight encounter back in November, 2002. It's now 11 competitive home games without a win since then, and yet another unwanted H2H record is subsequently extended.

ongoing sequences:

• 10 competitive games without a win, 3rd Feb 2018 to date. (Longest run since: 13 games; 9th May 2015 to 26th Sep 2015. Club-record: 26 games; 28th Nov 1908 to 25th Aug 1909.)
  • 14 competitive games without a clean-sheet away from home, 4th Nov 2017 to date. (Longest run since: 14 games; 31st Jan 1996 to 5th Oct 1996. Club-record: 89 games; 31st Oct 1885 to 23rd Jan 1897.)
  • 11 consecutive competitive appearances for Baily Cargill, 23rd Jan 2018 to date. (Longest run since: Ryan Edwards - 35 games; 8th Aug 2017 to 3rd Apr 2018. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

Someone below then highlighted that we also failed to beat any of the top 6 this year and took only 4 from 54 points available against them.
  •  

Man we are absolutely fucking shite. Some damning statistics.

BRUTAL STATS GALORE

ongoing sequences:

•  

“Alan Archibaaaaaald, Alan Archibaaaaald, Alan Archibald, Alan Archibald, Alan Archibaaaaald”

[emoji443][emoji443]