The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Rednyella said:

I’m fine with hanging on to Archie and the management team for another season whether we get relegated or not. 

That’s madness.

4 minutes ago, Millions said:

Looking forward to you doing an ICT in the championship next season and the young greenock team stealing your flegs 

Morton should be fucking terrified at the thought of sharing a league with us. We absolutely own you. 

Much of the focus recently has been on Archibald and our underperforming players like Osman and Spittal which is fair enough, but it would be nice to hear from our board for once.

There was a notable air of resignation around Firhill yesterday and I think the board and their continuing silence on our disgraceful run of form hardly helps matters. If they have no intention of changing the manager, they would be better coming out and telling us. It would nip all the speculation and uncertainty in the bud, for now at least.

I can’t remember the last time we heard from our Chairman. Hopefully he’s as determined to avoid relegation as he was with shoehorning the new Rangers into the old First Division and tossing Thistle fans out the North Stand.

Ian Maxwell’s comments in September are beginning to look more ridiculous by the day,  but I suspect that he’s too busy jockeying for position at Hampden to care.

14 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Much of the focus recently has been on Archibald and our underperforming players like Osman and Spittal which is fair enough, but it would be nice to hear from our board for once.

There was a notable air of resignation around Firhill yesterday and I think the board and their continuing silence on our disgraceful run of form hardly helps matters. If they have no intention of changing the manager, they would be better coming out and telling us. It would nip all the speculation and uncertainty in the bud, for now at least.

I can’t remember the last time we heard from our Chairman. Hopefully he’s as determined to avoid relegation as he was with shoehorning the new Rangers into the old First Division and tossing Thistle fans out the North Stand.

Ian Maxwell’s comments in September are beginning to look more ridiculous by the day,  but I suspect that he’s too busy jockeying for position at Hampden to care.

Would agree with that - would be interested to hear if the Chairman would be happy to go on record as still not considering a change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41710577

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 hour ago, Rednyella said:

I’m fine with hanging on to Archie and the management team for another season whether we get relegated or not. I don’t think changing the gaffer will necessarily give us a better outlook for next year. Archie has to be learning from this experience and seeing that several of the players he has have to be moved on starting with “Mr Itsnoteasy” who’s heads been gone this season.

I go back to looking at Sean Dyche at Burnley. He went down with them, board stuck by him, and he’s back and stronger in the top flight. Maybe that’s worth a shot?

Sean Dyche. I’ve heard that one before in the Archibald Book of Sycophancy. I’ll raise you 2 much more relevant examples. Britton and Whyte. Relegated from top flight and given another season. Consecutive relegations followed. Dick Campbell. Relegated from First Division and was sacked after a total of 2.5 seasons with a side seriously threatened of relegation back to Second Division again.

Rewarding the failure of a manager who has been better supported financially and logistically than any other than any other at Thistle over the last 20 years isn’t really inspiring stuff for next season, is it?

The Archibald fanboys out in force on WAT, along with the cheerleaders who love Archibald and put him before the club and think we'll win the remaining fixtures and be safe based on the fact that there were some good passes yesterday.

Some of our fans really are as deluded as the manager.

I'm not adverse to some of the criticism of Alan Archibald. He's got a lot of things very wrong this season, and certain players apparently chucking it really doesn't reflect well on him at all.

However, I think some of the squad are getting off lightly. The likes of Osman, Barton, Spittal and Devine have been (rightly) criticised. On the other hand, the four players still active with us from the promotion team are Doolan, Erskine, Lawless and Elliott, and yet they're somehow shielded from criticism. You can probably add Booth to that list, even although he wasn't promoted with us.

And FWIW, I'm not advocating negativity towards any of these players. Especially Christie Elliott, who has fought like f**k every time he's played and very rarely put a foot wrong. But like almost the full squad, the others I've mentioned there have been totally ineffective, and I just feel like we can't have it both ways. You can't give leeway to these guys and avoid criticising them because they were part of that excellent promotion team, but then pile on the manager. Because Alan Archibald was a part of that as well.

That’s me told. Just measuring the temperature for sticking by Archie. Looks like support has gone. I understand and don’t disagree with the comments made regards a fresh look and manager next season if we go done. However, if he keeps us up would he get the chance to rebuild? Or have most decided his time is up?

49 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

When did Osman become a bad player?

Is it a confidence issue or something else?

I always thought he was a decent player - especially at protecting your defence.

Probably since he started hanging around with the Pogba family, spending his free time trying to punt his shitty clothing line.

When did Osman become a bad player?

Is it a confidence issue or something else?

I always thought he was a decent player - especially at protecting your defence.

Heid up his arse issue I think.

Archie and several of the first team have had it in my mind. Tactically Archie has fucked it multiple times this season at crucial moments, his team selection has been an absolute let down in many games and he just doesn’t seem to be able to fire the players up to fight for this.

I can't quite fathom this wallowing resignation that a number of Thistle fans are embracing; you'd think we were dead and buried with no mathematical chance of survival.

There's absolutely no dressing up of this season, it's been incredibly poor but it's not gone yet by any means. Most of our points have come against the teams we will face in the next few weeks. We will have home advantage against two of our nearest rivals in the split, both of whom we've already beaten at Firhill this year. 

Archie has made a lot of mistakes this season, mistakes that may ultimately cost him his job, but until such times that he isn't the manager, he'll have my backing.

As Rocky said, it ain't over 'til it's over.

16 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

I can't quite fathom this wallowing resignation that a number of Thistle fans are embracing; you'd think we were dead and buried with no mathematical chance of survival.

There's absolutely no dressing up of this season, it's been incredibly poor but it's not gone yet by any means. Most of our points have come against the teams we will face in the next few weeks. We will have home advantage against two of our nearest rivals in the split, both of whom we've already beaten at Firhill this year. 

Archie has made a lot of mistakes this season, mistakes that may ultimately cost him his job, but until such times that he isn't the manager, he'll have my backing.

As Rocky said, it ain't over 'til it's over.

I'm sort of with you in that a look at the standings in the league table Thistle should, in theory, still have a decent chance at avoiding automatic relegation - it's not like the team are 15 points adrift at the bottom with 5 games left - but the trends have been alarming, and overwhelmingly negative, for a long time now (failing to hold on to leads, failing to come from behind, failing to score in matches, failing to keep clean sheets, that type of thing). The fans giving up isn't unfathomable against that backdrop imo.

I mean I hope you're right, and I'm not going to have a go at you for going against the grain and maintaining optimism.

On a personal level I'll still be going along to Firhill, but having witnessed a lot of the shite they've served up this season it'll be in dim hope at this point rather than any real expectation.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

That’s me told. Just measuring the temperature for sticking by Archie. Looks like support has gone. I understand and don’t disagree with the comments made regards a fresh look and manager next season if we go done. However, if he keeps us up would he get the chance to rebuild? Or have most decided his time is up?
From an outsider looking in, it appears Thistle have gone a bit stale, same old routine for some players if you will, a clear out is definately needed as a lot of your normally reliable players seem to be just going through the motions.

Archie should be given a chance to rebuild regardless of which division you end up in, he got you promotion & last season's top 6 finish so, imo he's a decent manager, who deserves the chance to make amends.

From a personal point of view hopefully you stay up as Firhill is a cracking day out for us Killie chaps.... All the best for the rest of the season.