The Partick Thistle thread

Correct. And that’s really worrying at the point in the season. We’re still making 2 or 3 changes to lineups every week.
I’d be going 3-5-2 from now until the end. Keown, Barton, Cargill at the back with Elliott and Booth as the WBs - that’s the easy part. Fitting the rest of our squad into the remaining 5 positions is much tougher, but I’d go with McCarthy, Woods, Edwards in the middle and Doolan & Sammon up top. I think that’s our best chance of winning matches.
He won’t drop Osman, though. And no chance he leaves out more than 2 of Erskine, Lawless, Storey and Spittal. So my choice will be fucking miles off whatever selection we end up getting relegated with.

Agree with the starting 11 you’ve gone for but there’s a disgusting lack of creativity in that team.

I have confidence in Doolan/Sammon to be able to take a chance should it present itself, but other than Woods from a set piece, I don’t know how we’ll create one. Elliott and Booth are both decent enough at getting forward but their delivery is... inconsistent is the nicest way to put it I think. Edwards isn’t creative. At all. McCarthy looks like a good water carrier style midfielder, which is lovely considering the pish we’ve had this season in there, but we won’t get many chances with the team we have, unless one of Lawless, Erskine or Spittal can find any semblance of form from nowhere. That leaves us reliant on our defence, which is even more worrying.

This season has been fucking bleak. Think Gary Fraser punting the ball at the Celtic fan has been the highlight, which says it all.

4 hours ago, cilitbang said:

If we went down, does anyone see our board holding out for big £££ for anyone we have tied up for another year?

No I didn't either - f**k relegation

We would be left with a spineless team that turned it on a handful of times a season, I'll take a pass on that

I think Barton will be away regardless of what division we are in as he is under contract for another year we would probably get a small fee for him - I get the impression he wants to go back to playing Football in England 

14 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Correct. And that’s really worrying at the point in the season. We’re still making 2 or 3 changes to lineups every week.

I’d be going 3-5-2 from now until the end. Keown, Barton, Cargill at the back with Elliott and Booth as the WBs - that’s the easy part. Fitting the rest of our squad into the remaining 5 positions is much tougher, but I’d go with McCarthy, Woods, Edwards in the middle and Doolan & Sammon up top. I think that’s our best chance of winning matches.

He won’t drop Osman, though. And no chance he leaves out more than 2 of Erskine, Lawless, Storey and Spittal. So my choice will be fucking miles off whatever selection we end up getting relegated with.

Largely agree with this, the difference with Barton at the back for the majority of the time is night and day defensively. I think you could do that and then just need to find the right balance in midfield, unfortunately we don't have much time left for finding that out. 

I don't think it's Archie's style, but could do with a Lambie style bollocking for some of these players in the next few games. 

20 hours ago, leefy118 said:

Just throw in the towel guys. U are gash . Bout time u played falkirk and teams alike!

Leefy is going to look very silly at the end of the season.

DYa-uC8XcAYLkF8.jpg

On 19/03/2018 at 20:05, Nightmare said:

Couldn’t agree more with this. Our small run of form that saved us last season was when we stuck barton into sweeper role. Was probably our best run of form last season? 

Archie seems to be desperate to go back to 4-2-3-1. But unfortunately Our  team aren’t good enough in an attacking sense anymore. 

Sad to say but Erskines lost his wee yard of pace he used to have. Lawless has been found out as a light weight and only has one decent game out of five.

3-5-2 for me is the only way forward. Especially with booth and elliiot back. Unfortunately the League has improved were as Archie has put his  trust in players who can’t get back to the level they were before. 

5-4-1 or 3-5-2. I actually tend slightly towards the former if only due to our shite central midfield options.

Cerny

Elliot Keown Barton Cargill Booth

Spittal McCarthy ________ Storey

Sammon

or same back 5 with

McCarthy ____________

Edwards

Doolan   Sammon 

I think the former gives us more options, Erskine, Lawless and Doolan can all fit in to it from the bench (and Edwards in one of the attacking 3 positions perhaps). Only problem is the ________. Not convinced any of Woods, Osman and Edwards are the answer at the moment.

17 hours ago, leefy118 said:
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves 
      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe: 
All mimsy were the borogoves, 
      And the mome raths outgrabe. 

FTFY.

Cerny 

Keown                  Barton                  Cargill

Elliot                 Woods                McCarthy     Booth 

Edwards 

Doolan                         Sammon 

Best team for me !

Back on topic re: manager. I think Archibald has voided large chunks of patience this season with a significant proportion of the Thistle support. Particularly after the disastrous recent results v Dundee and Hamilton. I think the goodwill would only be regained with some incredible run of form - e.g. winning half of the remaining games - it isn’t going to happen. It’s difficult to see how he “proves me wrong” from here on in.

The thought of 6th/7th in the Championship (and worse is possible) with Archibald still as manager next January is a pretty soul-destroying thought. If recent reports of wage bill comparisons are at all accurate, we have underperformed badly this season and that is bad management of the squad.

”Who would we get in?” is a well-worn excuse that I have heard Thistle fans using back in the days of Collins, Britton & Whyte and Campbell. As any club would do, you see who applies.