The Partick Thistle thread

An injudicious opinion as Accies may well end up signing a couple of Thistle's talented waifs in the close season. Have fun. [emoji6]

There not many I’d actually take at accies to be honest. Maybe Callum Booth, definitely Doolan. We will just sign more Euro trash instead of signing players from other Scottish teams it’s the accies way.

There not many I’d actually take at accies to be honest. Maybe Callum Booth, definitely Doolan. We will just sign more Euro trash instead of signing players from other Scottish teams it’s the accies way.

If we get the Weirs to give you the million quid that was scammed, can you take Devine?

Your squad is garbage, the worst team I’ve seen in the league this season. All the Partick fans I’ve seen where waiting on Osman coming back and he’s been brutal. Keown is a donkey. Storey is pish. Devine is the worst centre half in the league. Spittal and Lawless flatter to deceive. Doolan and Sammon are the only reason you aren’t cut adrift.

You consistently throw away games in the last ten minutes. Where do you realistically think Partick should be?

FWIW I hope it’s Dundee in the play offs but your post here is ridiculous.

Disagree. You don’t become garbage overnight. These players got us our highest league position in over 30 years last year. We’ve added 3-4 bodies and whilst I do agree with your thoughts on the players this year my point was that this squad has talent and shouldn’t be getting relegated automatically.

Cerny, Barton, Keown, Osman, Edwards, Erskine, Doolan.

The spine of the team is more than capable. Especially when you look at Accies, Dundee and County.

Look at what Killie have done. Not with new players. But with a gaffer who is showing his class. I have no doubt the Jags players can perform. Why they are not i can’t confirm but maybe Archie has run out of steam.

I hope not! The players need to dig deep now. It’s now or it’ll be too late.

1 hour ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Indeed. I was reading a story at the weekend about Hertz and their 'ten signings at the summer' (or something to that effect) and I am reminded how many Jags players turn in utterly crap seasons at Firhill then go to be successful - after a fashion - at other teams in the same league.

49 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

Disagree. You don’t become garbage overnight. These players got us our highest league position in over 30 years last year. We’ve added 3-4 bodies and whilst I do agree with your thoughts on the players this year my point was that this squad has talent and shouldn’t be getting relegated automatically.

Cerny, Barton, Keown, Osman, Edwards, Erskine, Doolan.

The spine of the team is more than capable. Especially when you look at Accies, Dundee and County.

Look at what Killie have done. Not with new players. But with a gaffer who is showing his class. I have no doubt the Jags players can perform. Why they are not i can’t confirm but maybe Archie has run out of steam.

I hope not! The players need to dig deep now. It’s now or it’ll be too late.

My feeling - and it's actually probably bleeding obvious - is that the manager did not prepare and was not prepared for an extended run with a second string. 

Also, can we please get this relaxed attitude to relegation right out the window. In my lifetime, the last twice it has happened, relegation from this league has resulted in an exodus of players, crowds plummeting, and years of rebuilding. Infact, the last time the arse fell right out of it and we went down again. Theres nothing that suggests we have the resources, ability or mentality to bounce back right away.

Theres no way I trust spice boys like Storey or Barton to go to places like Cappielow and get stuck in, more chance of them complaining about the facilities and the heating in the dressing room not being on.

That being said, I strangely think theres some ability in the squad, to somehow get out of this. Theres just absolutely no leadership or fighting spirit amongst anyone at the club. We're one of the most mentally fragile football teams I've ever seen at any level.

Edited by Snakebite

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That's about four times you've used "spice boys" as an insult, what is it you're suggesting? 

You should have kept reading for further clarification... to go to places like Cappielow and get stuck in, more chance of them complaining about the facilities and the heating in the dressing room not being on.

41 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Also, can we please get this relaxed attitude to relegation right out the window. 

This is an important point. Relegation could and probably would be disastrous. People who pine for trips to Dumfries and Ayr can get in the sea.

History shows that it is very rare for clubs to bounce back straight away.

1 minute ago, Hammer Jag said:

This is an important point. Relegation could and probably would be disastrous. People who pine for trips to Dumfries and Ayr can get in the sea.

I agree with that. However, as Jags fans we seem to go quietly into the night. Last year's performance after the split was pretty much explained away as 'this is as good as it gets for us'.

Having followed Thistle home and away for thirty-odd years, I couldn't agree more. We just don't do bounce back promotions!

If we went down, does anyone see our board holding out for big £££ for anyone we have tied up for another year?

No I didn't either - f**k relegation

We would be left with a spineless team that turned it on a handful of times a season, I'll take a pass on that

Edited by cilitbang

I don't think we have any sellable players if we go down.  Under contract for next season are : Cerny, Keown, Spittal, Doolan, Erskine, Barton, Elliott,Edwards, McCarthy, Penrice, and Storey. No-one is paying money for them.

Of that lot I'd reckon Cerny (only cos he's settled with a family in Glasgow and will be 33 soon), Spittal, Doolan, Erskine, Eliiott ,McCarthy,  Penrice ,and somehow fucking Edwards who will be here forever would stay. We'd probably end up signing one of the permacrock midfielders again as well who are out of contract.

You'd assume the Weirs would be starting to look for a return on the investment they've sunk into a black hole  our conveyor belt of youth talent if we were in the 2nd tier as well, given that we'll be 4 (maybe even 5?) years into that plan next year.

Edited by Fuctifano

We're definitely lacking leadership on the pitch. Archie has assembled a squad of nice lads. Oh, for a Dinnie, Pittman or McVicar...

Also were neither attacking or defensive in our strategy. We don't have the same possession of play as we've had in previous seasons but still want to score the perfect goal with imperfect players.

The defence has gone to pot this season, formation changes, losing Lindsay, employing four different right backs and a massive drop in form from Keown haven't helped.

At the other end we still don't create anywhere near enough chances to win this league. I recall we were having one effort on goal for every two by the opposition. I wouldn't be surprised if this has got worse as the season has gone on.

Bottom line is we're low on confidence and the manager still doesn't seem sure of his preferred starting line-up and formation. We're staring relegation or a playoff straight, smack in the face. 

23 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

the manager still doesn't seem sure of his preferred starting line-up and formation.

Correct. And that’s really worrying at the point in the season. We’re still making 2 or 3 changes to lineups every week.

I’d be going 3-5-2 from now until the end. Keown, Barton, Cargill at the back with Elliott and Booth as the WBs - that’s the easy part. Fitting the rest of our squad into the remaining 5 positions is much tougher, but I’d go with McCarthy, Woods, Edwards in the middle and Doolan & Sammon up top. I think that’s our best chance of winning matches.

He won’t drop Osman, though. And no chance he leaves out more than 2 of Erskine, Lawless, Storey and Spittal. So my choice will be fucking miles off whatever selection we end up getting relegated with.