The Partick Thistle thread

The late collapses happen far too frequently for them to be dismissed as just bad luck. 

This has been a horrible season and I just hope we have enough to limp over the line to safety. Even if we do stay up, serious questions have to be asked of Archibald and the direction we’re going under him.

The warning signs have been there since the League Cup group stages, even before our ridiculous injury list began to take hold. Archie has clearly struggled to manage the largest, strongest squad we’ve had since he took over. Constantly chopping and changing formations, inconsistent team sections and persistently playing players out of position, most notably Barton in midfield and Sammon out on the wing.

Archibald could not unreasonably have been sacked earlier in the season, but I think we’ve made our bed and probably have to lie in it now.

Evidence for him being a “good” manager just doesn’t stack up for me, though, despite the persisting cuddly toy fan boy culture. The same things happen all the time; late capitulations, bottling it against any team considered “bigger” than PTFC, terrible performances in cup competitions. He has produced a number of very good results over the seasons, and very bad ones, and I think this season highlights how limited he is. After finishing 6th, I don’t think there is conceivably anything else he can achieve. Some fans don’t have any ambition more than that however, despite a number of similar-sized clubs acheiving far more in recent decades. If he leaves Thistle, he’ll manage in the Championship. I certainly wouldn’t fear any other team managed by him.

We need to aim for 10th here this season. I think we have the players to survive, but I’m sure we’ll make it difficult for ourselves.

3 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

So lads, where does today rank among previous gutless capitulation's from Thistle over the last few years?

i) 

image.png.6a3f47e058483805bb60ea955d87059d.png

A phenomenal individual performance from Higgy rendered pointless in the end

ii)

image.png.a625c9b31ff5758b8b9c236d146589f2.png

The Conrad Balatoni Show

iii) + iv)

image.png.bc998151efb5d774e1df30b046ebe182.pngimage.png.bf13e1855bbc28f3be722e63a63b2aad.png 

no fucking comment

v)

image.png.e1d358865d3efe19a0b20756b1c06353.png

A draw against an absolutely shite Inverness side

vi)

image.thumb.png.9c373c7ebb87dd1c3ea4f78d1f4344ca.png

Seaborne has a header cleared off the line by Tierney a few minutes prior to 10 men Celtic scoring via a ridiculously jammy goal when a Commons shot deflected into the path of Griffiths.

vii)

image.png.bbfcab13f470fc8c3e92d58c66c4da14.png

Today's shitshow

Honourable mention to the game against County where we lost to avoid out on finishing in the top 6.

From this season there's also 84+ min goals for Aberdeen and County.

There's something wrong, either mentally, physically or tactically with the way we prepare for games and how we set up when in winning positions. Probably a combination of all three. Happens too often to be coincidence.

image.png

image.png

Th e most depressing thing about this list is that there are probably at least another dozen games over the last few seasons when we have conceded late goals and points where we were in control - two 90th minute goals against the Hibs relegation side, a Balatoni og against Dundee,  a penalty against St Mirren,  a rebound from a penalty against Kilmarnock, that wee nyaff Sott MacDonald outjumping our defence for Motherwell are just a few that come to mind.

It's happened too often.

This was the worst. In terms of the importance of the game, this was an absolute stinker of a capitulation. You can almost expect it against Celtic or Rangers, but against Dundee, in a game where we've shown that we could outplay them, which we clearly did in the first half - that second half performance was inexcusable. That second half was the one of the most pathetic, inept, cowardly displays in the 5 years since our promotion.

Before today, I thought we were better than most of the teams around us and that we'd stay up no bother. After that; not a chance. I'd be fucking delighted with 10th after that shambles.

The Accies one I was the most raging about without question. Went from grand to absolutely awful so bloody fast.
That was the one for me. They were fucking garbage that season, and I'm sure Tommy Craig was still their manager at that point. 
Tommy fucking Craig.

I want to change my pick. I remember jumping over seats to scream at the players after that penalty went in. Something I have never done before and since.

2 hours ago, milhouse said:

Archibald could not unreasonably have been sacked earlier in the season, but I think we’ve made our bed and probably have to lie in it now.

Evidence for him being a “good” manager just doesn’t stack up for me, though, despite the persisting cuddly toy fan boy culture. The same things happen all the time; late capitulations, bottling it against any team considered “bigger” than PTFC, terrible performances in cup competitions. He has produced a number of very good results over the seasons, and very bad ones, and I think this season highlights how limited he is. After finishing 6th, I don’t think there is conceivably anything else he can achieve. Some fans don’t have any ambition more than that however, despite a number of similar-sized clubs acheiving far more in recent decades. If he leaves Thistle, he’ll manage in the Championship. I certainly wouldn’t fear any other team managed by him.

We need to aim for 10th here this season. I think we have the players to survive, but I’m sure we’ll make it difficult for ourselves.

Change players to player if we survive it will be almost all down to one player who is not even ours but a loan - Sammon. Of the others even Cerny has regressed quite a lot compared to previous seasons

33 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

"Alan Archibald is a great manager"

Our fans are fucking clowns.

The ‘cudly toy’ mentality continues to haunt the club. For a lot of our fans, the summit of our ambitions should be clinging on desperately for 10th place every season. 

I’ve used this phrase many times before, but it’s as relevant as it’s ever been - it’s almost as if we apologise for being in this league. Instead of looking to emulate the achievements of clubs who are of a similar size and in some cases smaller than us, we just seem grateful for clinging onto our top flight status.

Its also depressing how quickly some of our fans circle the wagons as soon as any sort of critical opinion of our manager is voiced.

That being said, I’m not a fan of the posters, mostly on WAT, who are incessantly negative about absolutely everything. It’s as if they gain satisfaction from our struggles.

10 hours ago, Nightmare said:

be fucking delighted with 10th after that shambles.

I now think we might end up in the play off's.  A no lose scenario is no longer an option next week. We have got to beat Hamilton with the 5 game run we have after that. Ross Co have taken 4 points off Dundee and Hearts in their last two games and are beginning to turn the corner as usual at this time of the season. We need 4-6 points in the next two games as I don't see us getting  many  in the other 4 games. I think it's between the bottom 3 now unless St Johnstone do a Hibs and continue in total freefall.

Edited by Sting777

3 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

I now think we might end up in the play off's.  A no lose scenario is no longer an option next week. We have got to beat Hamilton with the 5 game run we have after that. Ross Co have taken 4 points off Dundee and Hearts in their last two games and are beginning to turn the corner as usual at this time of the season. We need 4-6 points in the next two games as I don't see us getting  many  in the other 4 games. I think it's between the bottom 3 now unless St Johnstone do a Hibs and continue in total freefall.

We'll see, after the next two games. It could be worse than that.

9 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

We'll see, after the next two games. It could be worse than that.

Agreed, hence why I said next week was no longer a no lose game, but a must win game and the game at Ross has got to be a minimum no lose one. We are in massive trouble if we don't win a minimum of one of these games. The Hamilton game next week could easily be our biggest and most important game since we came back up.  The thought of hoping for a Sevco and Celtic double today gives me the boak,  but for once I will shouting for both of them to give a tanking to their opponents!

Edited by Sting777