The Partick Thistle thread

On 27/12/2017 at 13:46, Fuctifano said:

I'm not sure how much Archies January signings can have changed over the season. His shopping list should be DCM's and CM's. He loves signing a random black guy in January from the arse end of nowehere and gives him about 35mins of gametime though..

IMO I think we are fine attacking wise, would a ball carrier with pace be a nice plus? Yes, however our priorities are in the middle of the park for reinforcements

Edited by cilitbang

I don't think we are fine attacking wise. We've scored 4 goals less than anyone else in the league, 17 in 21 games (and 6 of them were in 2 games). We must have the highest amount of games not scored in as well.

Lawless, with the caveat he's played a few games at LWB has contributed nothing in the league since an assist on day 1 at Hibs. Spittal started off on fire but has declined along with the team. Erskine is and always will be inconsistent but his ratio of good games to bad is going in the wrong direction. Doolan hasn't had one of his scoring spurts and has been reported to be carrying a knee injury, which given our track record with knee injuries is worrying. Sammon does at least put himself about and has exceeded my very low expectations but he's not a goal threat, and Storey... I'd honestly take Azeez back ahead of him.  I don't think Osman coming back is magically going to free all these guys up.

It's been apparent how much our tactics have relied on our full / wing-backs and with McGinn being a non-existent attacking threat on the right and a succession of fill ins on the left (I thought Turnbull was our MOM last night tbf) the actual attacking players have struggled to get in the game.

Archie showed a fairly impressive ruthless streak in our first season up to get rid of guys he'd signed in the summer like Kerr and Baird (was Baird on a 2 year deal?!), he'll probably have to do something similar this time around. 

Edited by Fuctifano

10 hours ago, ATLIS said:

All three been offered two year deals

Although there are other factors to come into it - I would hope we would be able to offer more wage wise than Livingston plus our £6 million pound training complex would also add interest, but as I say there may be other factors why they may choose to remain with Livingston

13 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Although there are other factors to come into it - I would hope we would be able to offer more wage wise than Livingston plus our £6 million pound training complex would also add interest, but as I say there may be other factors why they may choose to remain with Livingston

Considering Livingston are struggling to compete with Raith and ICT over wages for Nathan Austin (according to what I read this morning), I would certainly expect Thi$$$tle to be able to offer more than them.

*Weirs popping champagne pic* 

Top flight status might prove appealing, plus a few bob extra in the bank each week.

When did the training facility open? I missed that.

2 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

Do inform us all of your detailed scout report on Halkett...?

No scouting at all I’m afraid- just Match reports in the press, where he has usually got a good report  or from reading reports on the other league forums on pie and bovril - as usually have a nosy at other divisions match threads.  Livi fans obviously rate him highly

i thought he played quite well in the league cup game against us - though in comparison to Divine it wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of defenders from lower league clubs were an improvement on him 

Quite a backtrack from Halkett being a vast improvement on Devine to it wouldn't surprise you if some defenders were better than him.

Using 'player X is shite therefore player Y must be an improvement' is what landed us with the likes of Piccolo in past seasons.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

On 16/12/2017 at 15:46, Thistle_do_nicely said:

seeing as we can now write-off the game against Dundee (sigh) along with Aberdeen and Celtic this month - holding out for the win against Motherwell was excellent but, of course, we follow it up with an absolute shiter of a result that leaves us with little to no margin for error against County and Hamilton.

Squad is needing a few players added in January with the fucking balls to fight for every single point, rather than getting horsed 5-1 away, nearly chucking away a 3-0 lead  at home and meekly going 2-0 down against a side directly above us in a relegation scrap.

Fair fucking play - there wasn't any room for error but the players showed the bottle to come through it and get to the window without being detached. Still think we could do with bringing in at least a couple of players who aren't squad filler and have reliable injury track records, but I liked the balance of the side we put out today.

Woods, Osman, Booth, Bannigan, Elliot, Dumbaya and Fraser's fitness issues must be a nightmarish challenge to manage around, hope Archie gets it right.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Yeah, we still definitely need bodies in, and I'd assume that Archie will be smart enough to know that this decent run of form at home in the past couple of months doesn't hide that. I'd like to get away from this situation where every single home game is a 'must win'. As good as we've been at Firhill recently, we can't keep up this run of form, and the away record really has to improve so that we're not always under this much pressure in home games.

Not an ideal set of results today, but it does drag Motherwell right back into the mix. They've been dreadful for a while now, and for us to only be 4 points behind them is pretty unbelievable after both our starts to the season.

Getting Booth and Osman back for after the break would be absolutely ideal. Our team would be so much more balanced with Booth up and down the left. And then with Osman adding the fight in the middle of the park, I reckon we will look a different team. I really think we need an experienced centre half and a wide player for 2nd half of the season. Some 1 to just organise our back line a bit better would be great ! And I’d have to say Erskine doesn’t really look like he can go 2 full games anymore. Missing today again and we need someone like him that can commit opposing defenders.

taking stock again:

image.png.2620ebfee5782cfb9a045470f7da85cf.png

Got a full 3 weeks or so before the cup game which is good; having such a short gap between the QotS game and the Celtic game, however, is shite, and gives us a headache for how we rotate the squad.

A 1-0 win away in Perth, getting through in the cup game (no replay pls), and a draw against either arsecheek while avoiding any major hammering to the GD and ideally avoiding any last minute shitebaggery to chuck away points would be par for the month imo.