The Partick Thistle thread

16 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Although I'm torn between thinking he's earned more than enough credit to at least get the January window and thinking this looks worse than any of the last 2 seasons. yesterday for me was bar none the worst result since promotion, getting dicked off celtic or against Aberdeen when the players are already on their holidays is one thing, but 5-1 off a team 4 points above you who hadn't won at home in months in a crucial game is another. 

That's it nailed in one.

9 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Oh and by the way, before some c**t gibs the line "who could replace Archie????" I sat down for 5 minutes there and looked at the list of Scottish managers alone who would probably could make a case for the job in some way, or another.

Jim Duffy - Got Morton promoted at the first attempt, made a national cup semi-final, stabilised the club in the Championship. Reinvented himself definitely.

Jack Ross - Kept St. Mirren up, has them challenging and left Alloa in a strong position.

Stephen Aitken - Done great at clubs with tiny budgets in Stranraer and Dumbarton.

David Hopkin - Was relegated in half a season, but won the league at a canter and will probably make the play-offs in his first season back.

Jim McIntyre - Won a cup at Ross County, was doing reasonable, sacked for less than Archie is currently doing.

My point is, you can pick faults in any individual candidate up against Archie, but to say if the manager leaves that no one could do a better job is just lazy as f**k.

That's not actually a bad shout at all. When looking at what's happening right now. County got rid of Jim and aren't actually doing that much better under Coyle. 

Can only agree with the comments on Barton/Edwards in midfield. If Archie can't address this or worse can't see how bad it is we've got no chance. 

22 hours ago, thistledo said:

That's not actually a bad shout at all. When looking at what's happening right now. County got rid of Jim and aren't actually doing that much better under Coyle. 

Can only agree with the comments on Barton/Edwards in midfield. If Archie can't address this or worse can't see how bad it is we've got no chance. 

The biggest issue among some Jags fans would be his choice of assistant...

I don’t see how any of those names are better than what we’ve got. I’m for sticking with Archie, as Burnley did with Dyche when they went down. It’s inevitable we’re going to always flirt occasionally with relegation and We’ve got a manager who knows the club and knows things are not good enough presently. Sacking gaffers has not really served us well.

Let’s get the injured back and try to keep in touch. Then hopefully we can give it a good shot and if we go down then so be it. We’ll come back up as Archie has done it before.

From an outsider looking in, watching Saturday's highlights showed that your players are definitely still playing for your manager.

It may have been a big game, but in those conditions and on that pitch, luck is always going to come into it and with the goals you conceded, it was pretty clear that the luck went in Killie's favour!

Had you been a bit more fortunate with your chances, the result would've been a fair bit different! 

Keep your heads up, and don't go down. Please. I'd much rather see the back of Killie or Hamilton, who have both been stinking up the league for years, regardless of how many fannies think Steve Clarke is the messiah. Get those plastic pitches to f**k.

I miss Calum booth, the sooner him and Osman are back the better. 

I liked Doolans bit on the bbc earlier stating they wouldn’t be having a Christmas party and too right, it’s time to get out of this mess with a couple of wins in a row. 

Pretty much every game Osman has missed through injury/suspension since he joined, we’ve been utter gash. Usually we’ve had at least one natural CM playing there in his absence though, so this might possibly perhaps potentially be why we’ve looked even worse.

Look at hearts tonight unbelievable how many young players levein has put in because of injuries and senior players not pulling their weight? Surely it's time to try something similar in our midfield and at left back because what we have been doing hasn't worked. And before anyone says well Hearts have a better youth/development team.. Have a look at the development league table.

5 hours ago, Maine said:

I miss Calum booth, the sooner him and Osman are back the better. 

I liked Doolans bit on the bbc earlier stating they wouldn’t be having a Christmas party and too right, it’s time to get out of this mess with a couple of wins in a row. 

I also miss Booth. He's our biggest miss even over Osman. Very very under rated and one of our best attacking players.

Listening to Ian McCall and Michael Stewart on Sportsound last night and glad is was them talking about Jags and not the rest of the muppets they usually have on there.

I agree with Ian that it’s time to put Barton back to the middle of a back three. He played a lot back there last year and was solid as CB/Sweeper. He won POTY and I think as we have some CM back from injury it’s time to make that change as we’re shipping goals galore.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Rednyella said:

Also why does Archie insist on playing him in CM?

This really isn't hard to work out, and it's bewildering that so many people think Archibald is being stubborn here.

Injuries. We have had no one else to play there other than McCarthy and an unfit Woods. Even if Osman, Fraser, Bannigan and Woods were all available, the absence of any fit wing backs makes the whole point of having Barton in a three to play from the back negligible - we'd just be toothless up front and penned in most of the game against any decent opponent.

I'm as suicidal as anyone about having to watch Barton and Edwards in midfield every week, but at least it means we can play Erskine, Lawless and Spittal in their best positions. 3-5-2 isn't a credible option until we have at least one wing back who can get up and down the pitch.

Understand that. But hopefully with Woods available we can steady up the defense by getting Barton back there. Even when we had midfielders available Archie played Barton in midfield.

I don’t regularly critique Archie but even without injuries this season he played Adam in midfield.

15 hours ago, Maine said:

I've never really seen the anger around this.  They're not having a great season, but I don't get the rage that accompanies them going out and trying to enjoy themselves away from football.  Are they supposed to sit in a dark room and think about what they've done?  Not suggesting that them going out is suddenly going to turn them into this wonderful team, but not sure avoiding it will do that either.

5 hours ago, AMMjag said:

I'm as suicidal as anyone about having to watch Barton and Edwards in midfield every week, but at least it means we can play Erskine, Lawless and Spittal in their best positions. 3-5-2 isn't a credible option until we have at least one wing back who can get up and down the pitch.

I agree with most of your points. I also appreciate at the moment it's like clawing through a dung heap for 50p at the moment but I think McGinn has been okay. Not brilliant but gets up and down the wing and can link with those inside and ahead of him. He has erred but Keown is bringing down the whole back line on his current form.

On another point Barton played sweeper in preseason and the warning signs were there and in the Bet Fred games. Maybe he could be the new Fellaini? :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Rednyella said:

Listening to Ian McCall and Michael Stewart on Sportsound last night and glad is was them talking about Jags and not the rest of the muppets they usually have on there.

I agree with Ian that it’s time to put Barton back to the middle of a back three. He played a lot back there last year and was solid as CB/Sweeper. He won POTY and I think as we have some CM back from injury it’s time to make that change as we’re shipping goals galore.

Thoughts?

It's basically what most of us have been calling for, for a couple of months now.

Archie is obviously reluctant to stick McCarthy in there but considering the midfield has been a fucking mess for ages now, I don't see why we don't at least try it out.

3 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

On another point Barton played sweeper in preseason and the warning signs were there and in the Bet Fred games. Maybe he could be the new Fellaini? :rolleyes:

Think we were playing 4-2-3-1 in those games, were we not? Meaning whilst Barton was CB it was in a back 4, where he actually had to defend.

If he's the sweeper in a back 3 he's much better then as one of the pair of CB's in a 4.

27 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Think we were playing 4-2-3-1 in those games, were we not? Meaning whilst Barton was CB it was in a back 4, where he actually had to defend.

If he's the sweeper in a back 3 he's much better then as one of the pair of CB's in a 4.

Livingston game I seem to recall Penrice making it three at the back.