The Partick Thistle thread

He apparently said on Jagzone yesterday that he is going in for a clean up op on his knee next week as he is still getting some pain and he has known since pre season that it's still not right. He expects to be out for 4/6 weeks though when 4 weeks is mentioned at Firhill it usually means 4 weeks, then another 4 weeks then another etc, etc. He gets a lot of stick at times but the one I want to know when he is coming back is Callum Booth. We are a mess at left back and the sooner he is back bombing up that left hand side the better!

Edited by Sting777

Bit harsh on Booth I think, though he did lose form pretty heavily towards the end of last season. He was supposedly out for 3 months after getting injured in the St J game so he'll be another month at least. Penrice is also due back in January but I had a look at the Livi threads a couple of days ago and seemingly he's been playing -very well- in midfield for them which is interesting if both him and Booth are available come January.

Anyway, difference a win makes. We've got the two teams bottom of the form table in the next 2 games and then only 2 games in November with the Celtic game being postponed after yesterday's LC result. *If* we can get through these next 2 games with 6 points then by the end of November we won't be detached at the bottom and might be starting to get some players back (Booth, Bannigan, Fraser if his leg stays attached) for the huge amount of games in December. 2 defeats though and it's back to "we're fucked" mode.

16 hours ago, Knightswood Jag said:

3-4-1-2 with Cerny, back 3 of Keown, Barton and Devine, McGinn and Turnbull as wing backs, midfield two of Edwards and Bannigan(McCarthy if not fit), Spittal in behind Doolan and Storey.

Yesterday showed that Turnbull is a centre half and can't play full back, never mind wing back.

1 hour ago, ALJAGS76 said:

Yesterday showed that Turnbull is a centre half and can't play full back, never mind wing back.

Exactly. I have no idea who can fill that slot until either Booth is fit or Penrice returns. Turnbull is certainly not the answer.  It's a massive problem for the manager. 

1 hour ago, nelsjfc said:

How quick can you get to from central to Firhill? Playing football in Ayrshire in the morning and staying at central. Planning to dump suitcase and get a train/taxi out.

Taxi would be the easiest, but also the most expensive. Cheaper would be leaving Central from the south entrance and jumping on the St Enoch subway to St George's X.

As Fuctifano said, you can also walk it in a reasonable time. f**k that, though.

11 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

Not really that enthusiastic being linked with guys like Martin Woods.. Would rather give McCarthy the gametime instead than bring in a journeyman to stifle his development.

What could go wrong with signing midfield free agent jobbers?

Spoiler

djemba-djemba-st-mirren_0.jpg

I dare say Woods would be an improvement on what we have at the moment which is perhaps a rather damning indictment. Encouraged that we're at least looking to add to the squad though. A proper left back would be handy too (Bob Harris still available...) but doubt we'd get two arrivals, as much as they're needed.

2 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

I dare say Woods would be an improvement on what we have at the moment which is perhaps a rather damning indictment. Encouraged that we're at least looking to add to the squad though. A proper left back would be handy too (Bob Harris still available...) but doubt we'd get two arrivals, as much as they're needed.

Yeah, I can't see the LB issue being addressed while we still have Nitriansky able to step in, as well as players like Turnbull and Lawless capable of filling in there. I use the term "capable" loosely here. Just a case of getting through this until Booth is back/we can recall Penrice unfortunately.

As for Woods, never rated him but it's clearly our weak point right now, and I really don't think McCarthy is ready to be the answer, so happy to see what Woods brings to the table.

I think we'll try ditch Nitriansky in January. Can't wait until Callum Booths fit again he's very undervalued by some supporters. He's a huge miss  defensively and attacking wise he's actually one of our most important players. I was actually impressed by woods a few times watching highlights of County games, last time I seen him he had a stinker at firhill but an all round midfield type is definitely missing as we all know.

On 25/10/2017 at 19:11, Red 'N Yellow said:

f**k, is that Woods? We’re talking to him supposedly. Bring back Sean Welsh.

That's not the only time he tried that.  

It's very indicative of half of his game.  He's very comfortable on the ball, but don't ask him to tackle, or for the love of god take set pieces.

Put it another way, I think he's a decent player, but I wasn't in the slightest bit bothered when he left.