The Partick Thistle thread

22 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Yup. But I think it's the midfield Archie would be worried about in this case, which is understandable with Osman out and Bannigan having fallen off the face of the earth.

Going 3-5-2 with McCarthy, Edwards and one of Spittal, Lawless or Erskine as a central 3 is hardly the most appealing, but I do think it's probably better than the alternative, which is no composure at the back, and Barton stinking it up in the midfield.

Barton is a good player he just doesn't suit the middle of the park, at centre half he doesn't have to cover as much ground and has more time on the ball. I'd imagine young mcarthy chasing back when we lose the ball would give us a better chance of recovering it. Although I might just be talking a lot of pish.

Not sure if throwing McCarthy into a team that hasn't won for 6 months is the answer but f**k knows what is so may as well try something different.

Someone suggested playing Turnbull at full back the other day and I think that might be a better option than Nitriansky. Leaves a spot in the centre of defence for Barton too.

Cerny

McGinn              Devine               Keown        Turnbull                             

Mcarthy         Edwards 

Spittal                                   Erskine                    Sammon

Doolan 

I'd like to see this if we have the same squad to chose from,  starting sammon on the left to give Turnbull who's obviously not a natural left back some cover. Back to what's worked well for us in previous seasons with erskine in behind doolan. Osman is a huge miss at the moment and I actually feel pretty stupid saying he should be dropped for poor form because there is a gaping hole in the middle of our team.

Edited by Thistle4eva

17 hours ago, Thistle4eva said:

Cerny

McGinn              Devine               Keown        Turnbull                             

Mcarthy         Edwards 

Spittal                                   Erskine                    Sammon

Doolan 

I'd like to see this if we have the same squad to chose from,  starting sammon on the left to give Turnbull who's obviously not a natural left back some cover. Back to what's worked well for us in previous seasons with erskine in behind doolan. Osman is a huge miss at the moment and I actually feel pretty stupid saying he should be dropped for poor form because there is a gaping hole in the middle of our team.

Cerny 

Keown  Barton  Devine 

McGinn  Edwards    Bannigan  Turnbull 

Spittal  Doolan  Erskine

3 at the back worked well for us last season, we just need to do it the right way with Barton as a sweeper alongside Keown and Devine. McGinn is clearly better at right back/right wingback than on the left and I'd rather see Turnbull at left back until Booth comes back. The only real options for midfield are Bannigan, Edwards and McCarthy although I've left out McCarthy because I feel we have to get Spittal, Dools and Erskine back in the same team together.

It goes without saying that our failure to win so far is beginning to become a real monkey on our backs and we've put tremendous pressure on ourselves to win the upcoming games. 

I sensed a resignation in the whole build-up to Saturday's game which concerned me; from Archie's comments on Moult which I found rather curious to our general apathy towards the fixture, I wasn't too surprised that we got hounded. Folk have been quick to jump the gun at times so far this season but it's fair to say that  Archie's failure to recruit a central midfielder is really costing us at the moment.

Barton didn't win POTY for his performances in midfield which were just as passive as they are this year - he's an excellent sweeper but an absolutely bog ordinary central midfielder. People sometimes mistake patience for dalliance but it's indisputable that he lacks any kind of incision; some stattos might be able to say how many assists he's provided since he arrived but I'll predict it's bordering on zero.  Unfortunately though, because of the complete lack of alternatives, he'll have to continue in there which I think is to his and the team's detriment.

I'm troubled that Edwards is now seen as one of the mainstays of the middle of the park, mainly by default of being available. He still utterly lacks the positional and tactical discipline to play there. To rely on Bannigan being 100% fit and right back up to speed after such a long lay-off was frankly negligent management, if you ask me - insanity. And let's not even get started on the Gary Fraser Charity Foundation. We miss Osman but let's not over sentimentalise his absence; he's been under-performing for quite some time too.

16 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

It goes without saying that our failure to win so far is beginning to become a real monkey on our backs and we've put tremendous pressure on ourselves to win the upcoming games. 

I sensed a resignation in the whole build-up to Saturday's game which concerned me; from Archie's comments on Moult which I found rather curious to our general apathy towards the fixture, I wasn't too surprised that we got hounded. Folk have been quick to jump the gun at times so far this season but it's fair to say that  Archie's failure to recruit a central midfielder is really costing us at the moment.

Barton didn't win POTY for his performances in midfield which were just as passive as they are this year - he's an excellent sweeper but an absolutely bog ordinary central midfielder. People sometimes mistake patience for dalliance but it's indisputable that he lacks any kind of incision; some stattos might be able to say how many assists he's provided since he arrived but I'll predict it's bordering on zero.  Unfortunately though, because of the complete lack of alternatives, he'll have to continue in there which I think is to his and the team's detriment.

I'm troubled that Edwards is now seen as one of the mainstays of the middle of the park, mainly by default of being available. He still utterly lacks the positional and tactical discipline to play there. To rely on Bannigan being 100% fit and right back up to speed after such a long lay-off was frankly negligent management, if you ask me - insanity. And let's not even get started on the Gary Fraser Charity Foundation. We miss Osman but let's not over sentimentalise his absence; he's been under-performing for quite some time too.

Well that cheered me up :-) 

Describing Barton as a 'bog ordinary' midfielder is being kind. He's an utter liability in the middle of the park. Thankfully I wasn't at Fir Park, but even from Sportscene's limited highlights, it was clear to see he had a nightmare. He was particularly awful for their first goal and in the passage of play leading to their third.

Edited by Hammer Jag

5 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Describing Barton as a 'bog ordinary' midfielder is being kind. He's an utter liability in the middle of the park. Thankfully I wasn't at Fir Park, but even from Sportscene's limited highlights, it was clear to see he had a nightmare. He was particularly awful for their first goal and in the passage of play leading to their third.

He could easily have been off the park after leaving his boot in McHugh's stomach as well. He seemed absolutely miles off it.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Seems odd to an outsider, as Barton looked absolutely class every time I saw him last season.

Mainly because he was playing as sweeper in the back 3 for much of last season, and given license to roam up the pitch.

In that role he is excellent, but for some reason he's just hopeless at CM.

Archibald is having a tough time of it yet is still a better manager than Tommy Wright.
6721125.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=responsive-gallery

Is there any particular reason you've suddenly decided to spend your time stalking threads and trying to troll folk?

7 hours ago, capt_oats said:

He could easily have been off the park after leaving his boot in McHugh's stomach as well. He seemed absolutely miles off it.

Was hard to see that properly from down low behind the goal, but even if that was just a yellow he got away without a booking after a pretty cynical foul not long after, almost like the ref thought keeping him on was a punishment.

I know Bannigan's coming back from a serious injury but he's been playing competitively since the LC games which started mid-July, 2.5 months ago. How long do you give him to get back to match fitness?

23 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Was hard to see that properly from down low behind the goal, but even if that was just a yellow he got away without a booking after a pretty cynical foul not long after, almost like the ref thought keeping him on was a punishment.

I know Bannigan's coming back from a serious injury but he's been playing competitively since the LC games which started mid-July, 2.5 months ago. How long do you give him to get back to match fitness?

Aye, I'm not saying it was a stick-on red or anything or that we were done in him not being sent off but watching it back and given the ref's position you could imagine certain refs would have been totally fine with showing a red card.

There's a decent angle to enjoy in the GIFs below. It's just a really lazy challenge tbh.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

• 2 weeks later...