The Partick Thistle thread

Decent debut from McGinn, although pretty quiet 2nd half, probably because he was on a yellow. Storey was good although he was dragged out wide a lot. Surprised Sammon been getting criticism as he's been far better than I thought he'd be, albeit in a different role than I thought he'd be playing. Spittal was poor but still popped up with a goal, good to have a competent set piece taker for once.

Gutted! I think if Squiddy had stayed on we'd have won that. [emoji36] I think we'd have got a third and put them to the sword. Still confidence boost to play 30 mins with 10 men and get a result.
Roll on Tuesday. Hope Dools and Abs plus Bannigan get to play and we mix it up to show the zombies we've got quality all over [emoji1303][emoji1045]

Just saw the Edwards challenge again. It looks like jack launches himself from miles away and Edwards intend to do that Zidane turn thing where you stop the ball with one foot and turn and roll it with your other. He definitely stands on him but I don't  think he has set out to stamp on him.  What was the story with the throw on leading to the **** equaliser, looked like Elliott headed it out off the Rangers player. Not had a chance to see that again.

Thought you guys were awful in the first half but the 2nd half played very well and desperately unlucky not to hold the 3 points. A point still decent enough considering the sending off which I think the ref got spot on (leg breaker if he connected) though I think Ryan Jack should've been off in the first half for the 2 footer. 
Got to admit, for my natural dislike of you lot, I'm pretty disappointed in 2 things I seen / heard yesterday. First of all the stadium name change?? Stadiums like Broadwood and MacDairmid park nobody including he fans could give a f**k about a name change as quite frankly they're not traditional stadiums. However Firhill is Firhill and always has been, very disappointing to hear you guys have went down that route. 
Secondly, why shift all your home fans out of the Jackie Husband stand to give that fuckin horrible lot the best seats in the house?? 

Maybe if Clyde hadn't been utterly stupid with their finances and been box office enough to be offered a sponsorship deal they wouldn't be languishing in the seaside leagues?

Regarding home fans being moved it's a mix between OF fans can't be trusted with pyro in the wooden Main Stand and a cash incentive. Pretty sure Broadwood had a large amount of it's stadium given for visiting Henmans and Orcs in the past, only difference being is they were already empty most games so no need to shift anyone.

I see that Scully's tendency to concede wonder-strikes is still alive and well. The fact that he's conceded so many of these types of goals is no coincidence for me;  I don't think the boy moves his feet well enough which thus impacts on his positioning. I'm not entirely suggesting Cerny would have saved Dorrans' effort but I think he'd have at least gotten something on it.

Certainly not attempting to scapegoat Scully here - he is a more than able deputy for Cerny but this has been a feature of his game for some time now and he really has to improve on it if he's going to be our number one.

4 hours ago, Johnny Däpp said:

Thought you guys were awful in the first half but the 2nd half played very well and desperately unlucky not to hold the 3 points. A point still decent enough considering the sending off which I think the ref got spot on (leg breaker if he connected) though I think Ryan Jack should've been off in the first half for the 2 footer. 

Got to admit, for my natural dislike of you lot, I'm pretty disappointed in 2 things I seen / heard yesterday. First of all the stadium name change?? Stadiums like Broadwood and MacDairmid park nobody including he fans could give a f**k about a name change as quite frankly they're not traditional stadiums. However Firhill is Firhill and always has been, very disappointing to hear you guys have went down that route. 

Secondly, why shift all your home fans out of the Jackie Husband stand to give that fuckin horrible lot the best seats in the house?? 

Technically Firhill is still in the name and I think pretty much will still always call it by that name.  I don't think it was the easiest decision the board will have made but it's only for 3 years and the club can see if it has worked or not.

both the old firm teams support has been in the Jackie husband stand for the last couple of years - again possibly a bit contraversial but can see why it was done.

sadly Partick Thistle can not compete financially with so many other teams in the SPFL so the board need to do some of these measures to bring in as much finance as possible to give us a chance financially 

i guess Ross County have a bit of a similar situation their ground since their existence was Victoria park but they have had to temporarily rename it as well as part of a sponsorship deal

Edited by third lanark

3 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

I see that Scully's tendency to concede wonder-strikes is still alive and well. The fact that he's conceded so many of these types of goals is no coincidence for me;  I don't think the boy moves his feet well enough which thus impacts on his positioning. I'm not entirely suggesting Cerny would have saved Dorrans' effort but I think he'd have at least gotten something on it.

Certainly not attempting to scapegoat Scully here - he is a more than able deputy for Cerny but this has been a feature of his game for some time now and he really has to improve on it if he's going to be our number one.

Cerny got nothing on Scott Wright's similar strike the other week.

Which buries your point comprehensively Armand.

Posting in here just in case the **** steal and burn my post.

Got my ticket added to my season card for tonight, but when I was buying it I had to pick a seat.  Picked one that I quite fancied, but as far as I knew it wasn't allocated seating in the Main Stand for these types of games and you could just sit wherever you wanted.  Is that still the case or should I head for the one I bought?

Posting in here just in case the **** steal and burn my post.
Got my ticket added to my season card for tonight, but when I was buying it I had to pick a seat.  Picked one that I quite fancied, but as far as I knew it wasn't allocated seating in the Main Stand for these types of games and you could just sit wherever you wanted.  Is that still the case or should I head for the one I bought?

Should be sit where you like I'd think.

50 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

From the North Stand it looked like Scully did actually get a hand on Dorrans' strike.

Not that I disagree with Armand's point in general.

You can hear on the highlights the ball hit off Scully's glove in the way in. Whether he did well to get a fingertip on it or whether he should have saved it is a different debate.

Hopefully we're talking about him in a good way in 3 or 4 hours time.

I dare say tonight showed the value of having a good secondary keeper rather than one that is merely adequate. 

Scully is undeniably flat footed; Cerny's failure to stop what was a superior goal from Wright has no bearing on that fact. Pena's header was well placed but quicker feet would have given Scully a chance. Instead he shuffles then stretches which he does a lot and which actually makes what should be routine stops look like wonder saves.

Candeias' goal was very reminiscent of Alex Schalk's that denied us top six in 2015/16.

Barton had plenty of opportunity to get nearer to Herrera for the third but showed little desire to get there and was caught ball watching. I was really disappointed with his reaction in particular to the goals in extra time; certainly looked to me that he chucked it.

On the whole though, I've been encouraged by our performances in the last two games. I think the performance of Sammon tonight should clamp the folk who had already made their mind up about him. Spittal is a shrewd addition going forward but needs better cover behind which hopefully McGinn can provide. I'd like a central midfielder from somewhere though seeing as Osman is more interested in selling shite you'd see down the Brigait. And obviously for Cerny to stop getting injured.

8 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

I think the performance of Sammon tonight should clamp the folk who had already made their mind up about him.

Don't think anyone would deny you that Sammon puts in a good shift. It's his lack of mobility that doesn't allow us to press opposition CB's and drag them about like Storey does (and previous mobile forwards)

That was the main difference to me comparing the two games, tonight we weren't "defending from the front" so Sevco weren't that pressured when on the ball