The Partick Thistle thread

15 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Just throwing this out there, I would prefer a stronger option than booth at left back, but what if mitriansky plays at rb and Christie switches to the left?

I would be fine with this, and also Penrice getting a go at left back. Like Lindsay before him, he's bound to make mistakes (can't make any more than Booth does), but I can see him getting much better week on week as he grows into the team. The games he's played before in the league and cup have proved that he deserves his chance imo.

Going to 3-5-2 would also solve the problem of fitting barton, osman and bannigan into the same team, but only leaves room for one of Edwards, Erskine, lawless and Spittal! 

Nice problem to have. 

Would have preferred storey and a winger but happy enough with this. 

Going to 3-5-2 would also solve the problem of fitting barton, osman and bannigan into the same team, but only leaves room for one of Edwards, Erskine, lawless and Spittal! 
Nice problem to have. 
Would have preferred storey and a winger but happy enough with this. 

So many options. Good headache to have for the gaffer. I suspect it now gives Archie the ability to work on 2-3 formations whether that be with 3 or 4 at the back. Or have a tighter 3 in midfield or a wider 4. Now we can also play 1 or have 2 off each other as forwards.

Also the competition for places gives us a much better attitude and fight on the field. The team has done great but adding 4-5 players into mix this window definitely will perk the lads up who where here last year.

Interesting comments re need for a left back. As a team we lose a lot of goals from our defensive player tracking but neither tackling or blocking the cross - that to me is Callum's biggest weakness but would get some extra defensive support in a 442.

i dont think we can play both Abdul and Adam in a midfield pairing - appreciate Abdul possibly not been 100% since start of last season but he's been poor / slower than ever for quite a while now!

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

Just throwing this out there, I would prefer a stronger option than booth at left back, but what if mitriansky plays at rb and Christie switches to the left?

I like this idea. There's no chance we'll sign a left-back, we have five full-backs right now, and it's not like Booth is total shite. I like him going forward but defensively he's been poor recently.

Reckon that's us done now, outside of maybe letting one or two go out on loan.

I like Booth and think he's a solid enough player, but I don't think it would be too hard to get a higher calibre replacement. We're a bit lopsided in terms of fullbacks, with 3 on the right but only 1 on the left, although I suppose Christie can play both sides.

Archie mentioned wanting 3 in at least a while back, since then we've signed 4 I think, so I imagine that will be us for now. Decent squad with Muzzy and Fraser still to return.

37 minutes ago, Slacker said:

I like this idea. There's no chance we'll sign a left-back, we have five full-backs right now, and it's not like Booth is total shite. I like him going forward but defensively he's been poor recently.

Reckon that's us done now, outside of maybe letting one or two go out on loan.

If we went to a 343 we could accommodate Banzo and Osman then put Barton back as a sweeper, Booth would also have less defensive responsibility(which would suit him). Reckon we'll send Nisbet out on loan now

4 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Nope, you've got Doolan & Storey.

As for Sammon, you better get Eremenko on the phone, see if he's available, as it's the only way he'll be any use tbh.....

We have Erskinenko.

3 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Because Callum Booth gives away more penalties than we score goals.

Decent enough player, but has some glaring weaknesses and we could do better.

Fair enough! but I think Penrice is more than hood enough to slot in there and we could better use players in other positions first.

Great effort tonight, but midfield looked outfought without Osman. Keown and Turnbull were superb, Elliott was great going forward but struggled badly against Tierney. Cerny didn't have a save in the second half. Lots of positives to take to perth next week.

I have a strange feeling (based on nothing right enough) that we might go for Calvin Miller on loan - Tierney is thoroughly first choice and im sure Izaguirre is still there.

Would quite like a small stand over at the bing for games like these if only because it should in theory make segregation easier - quite a few celtic fans in the north stand which caused a few handbags.

I had literally no idea we had signed Sammon until I saw him on the pitch for us - and then I found out we'd signed Miles Storey overhearing someone mention it to his pal while i was going for a pish at halftime!