The Partick Thistle thread

The important sentence is the last one. Team don't want to meet club's valuation - they don't sell. That is the reality. Morton already have 70k if they wanted to spend it on a better defender.

This story will go nowhere IMO.

O'Ware certainly had an impressive season last year for Morton, however I'd be wary (or should that be Warey?) of forking out significant cash for him. A successful season in the Championship is quite an erratic barometer for predicting how a player may perform in the Premiership. For my money, Aaron Muirhead had an almost flawless season in our promotion year and many of us thought he was a stick-on to move for serious dough but when it came to the crunch, he just wasn't good enough at this level.

Muirhead came to mind when I seen the rumour. He absolutely strolled the Championship and was miles out his depth in the Premiership.

Would be happy with O'Ware (although I've not barely seen him play) but can't see us paying more than 50k.

3 minutes ago, MARYHILLISWONDERFUL said:

Great replacement for Lindsay. 6ft 2, scored 11 goals last season and generally solid defender. 

At Championship level, yes. We've no idea how he'd fare in the top flight, and if we're going to spend money on someone I'd be wary of him. 

I bet we're trying to move heaven and earth for Keown. At Reading he won't get the game time. So hopefully we can pull it off. He's someone worth spending dough for.
O'Ware absolutely not. He's a good enough player for Morton but if we're serious about cementing chases for top 6 every year he's not a player we should be considering.

If we could some how get Keown back it would be a brilliant signing. He's a better defender than LL. If he had LL's physique then he would be playing for Reading. Can't see it happening though.

I get the feeling that with just a year left on Keown's contract, they might sell for a decent price if we're willing to pay up.
They don't seem to see him as ready to play a role in the first team and he'll end up leaving on a free next year if they don't sell now so I reckon we have a good chance.
Also, I think one of the reasons Liam went for a fairly low price by our estimations is that when he signed his new deal last October, Archie probably said that he could leave if an English club made a decent approach. As such, Keown might be tempted to join us as he would sign a two or three year deal, play well for a season and then maybe get a move back to the Championship. Might not be the case by just a thought.

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

So O'Ware isn't as good as Gunning? Why wouldn't we just sign Gunning then?

I don't want either. Both are shite. I want Keown and I want him now.

But we are going to need another CH to replace Liam regardless of what happens with Keown 

Zak Jules has been offloaded to Shrewsbury by the Royals already so I don't see them playing hardball over Keown. The main thing for me does Niall seeing us as a good move for him over the next few seasons?

6 hours ago, MARYHILLISWONDERFUL said:

Great replacement for Lindsay. 6ft 2, scored 11 goals last season and generally solid defender. 

5 hours ago, MARYHILLISWONDERFUL said:

Yeah, he could go two ways he could either be a Lindsay type player or Muirhead.

33 minutes ago, MARYHILLISWONDERFUL said:

Taking back what I said earlier if the Morton fans think f**king Gavin Gunning is better than O'Ware then we shouldn't be signing him. No one here would want us to sign Gunning so O'Ware is an absolute no-go.:thumbsdown

:lol:

31 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

Heard we were after a Hibs player - no idea who exactly - but he's turned us down for an English side.

Forster would be my guess, Hibs have Ambrose / McGregor/ Hanlon / Fontaine all at CB and we're obviously in the market for 2 CBs.