The Partick Thistle thread

Thought there was a chance we'd lose him this summer. Hopefully we get a good fee for him. I'm sure he's been with us since he was 16. 

He should be more than comfortable in the Premiership so hope it works out for him if he goes. 

18 minutes ago, douglas clark said:

Randy Giles,

I have used that tactic too. Claim your best player is shite in the forlorn hope of holding onto him. Never heard of the guy before, but with a few wee clauses about sharing future sell on fees perhaps PTFC wouldn't be the worst?

Aye I'm sure Morton would be delighted to negotiate sell on fees with a club who just sold their prized asset for less than his perceived value. 

5 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Aye I'm sure Morton would be delighted to negotiate sell on fees with a club who just sold their prized asset for less than his perceived value. 

We all seem to have had different perceptions of his value and none of us actually know how much we got for him or what the add-ons/ sell-ons are so I don't know why there is this assumption that it was bad deal for Thistle. 

3 minutes ago, Walter said:

We all seem to have had different perceptions of his value and none of us actually know how much we got for him or what the add-ons/ sell-ons are so I don't know why there is this assumption that it was bad deal for Thistle. 

There was no assumpton from me at all that it was a bad deal, ultimately it could end up a good deal with sell on clauses or whatever but in the scenario where we buy O'Ware and then sell him on it would ultimately be worth not very much to Morton if we sell him on a lower fee + a sell on clause as has been reported has happened with Lindsay as Morton would be getting hee haw or next to hee haw of our sell on clause.

50 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Thought there was a chance we'd lose him this summer. Hopefully we get a good fee for him. I'm sure he's been with us since he was 16. 

He should be more than comfortable in the Premiership so hope it works out for him if he goes. 

It could just be a made up rumour but if it was true as well as a few we would possibly loan out our best youth players the likes of McCarthy, penrice are tipped to be the next gems from our youth academy after the likes of Lindsay.  Could see them heading to Cappielow or perhaps if Archie has given up on the likes of Azeez loan him to you - I'm pretty sure he will get goals in the championship but unfortunately he is not scoring enough last season in the premier league 

anyway it's all just speculation 

34 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

:lol:

No thanks. 

Maybe that's a bit much to expect from a Scottish club but if an English side came in for him I'd hope we could get that kind of fee. Probably nearer the £100k mark for any club in the Premiership. 

You're not getting £100k for a 24yo centre half whose never played higher than the Championship, not up front anyway

I'd be stunned if any Scottish club paid a six figure fee for a Championship centre back, let alone a 24 year old

O'Ware's a solid Championship centre back and I've always rated him - he's vastly improved from the year you won the league and in any case his horror show that night at Firhill was entirely Allan Moore's fault for playing him out of position at left back - but I reckon his defensive ability is being overrated due to the fact he's so good going forward. The Phil Jones effect. He's a good player in the second tier and I think he'd be competent if unspectacular in the top flight, but good enough for a team looking to consolidate a top six place? I doubt it.

Assuming the fee you got for Lindsay was around the originally reported £350K mark, how much of that are you realistically going to go out and spend? If it is as much as £100K+, you'd think you'd be more likely to look overseas than to the Championship. I suppose the fact Lindsay also contributed several goals last season could mean you're looking to replace him with another goalscoring centre back which makes O'Ware an obvious candidate.

From your perspective you'd think something in the 50-75K range is appropriate for a Championship centre back who's never been tested at a higher level and isn't so young he's obviously capable of developing further, so going any higher than that would be far too big a risk. From Morton's perspective there's the view that if it was an English club after him we could get at least £100K, so maybe we're better just holding on in the hope someone at that level shows an interest later in the window, then if he leaves for nothing next summer we've at least got another year out of him.

Personally, if you were to offer something around £70K I'd happily take it, knowing that we already have two solid centre backs other than O'Ware and could launch the proceeds at a wage for Gavin Gunning, who's a considerably better defender despite not contributing goals.

O'Ware certainly had an impressive season last year for Morton, however I'd be wary (or should that be Warey?) of forking out significant cash for him. A successful season in the Championship is quite an erratic barometer for predicting how a player may perform in the Premiership. For my money, Aaron Muirhead had an almost flawless season in our promotion year and many of us thought he was a stick-on to move for serious dough but when it came to the crunch, he just wasn't good enough at this level.

Dunning is a fruitloop who's clearly read Douglas Rae's 'The Art of Negotiating'.

Don't think anyone would be happy to see a top asset shipped out so cheaply.

It's a BBC rumour anyway.

1 minute ago, GiGi said:

Dunning is a fruitloop who's clearly read Douglas Rae's 'The Art of Negotiating'.

Well no - Gavin Gunning would be a 'top asset'; shipping O'Ware out to allow us to bring him in would be a superb piece of business. Although not quite swapping Andy Barrowman for Ross Forbes 

O'Ware clearly has a very active agent as these stories conveniently do the rounds about once a month - the last club mentioned in that discussion was Plymouth. While an English club might be willing to part with enough cash to make it worthwhile for Morton to sell, I'd agree with the Partick fans that it'd be a rather large gamble for their club to pay a fee for a player with no top flight experience or proven quality. Would be surprised if there's much at all in this rumour.  

2 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I'm a realist who understands that the amount we can get for a player is entirely dependent on what interested clubs are willing to pay. If there is no interest from England then we can forget about £100K+ with add-ons and think about what Scottish Premiership clubs are realistically going to pay for a 24 year-old Championship centre back. Having done so, we then decide if that figure is worth more than having O'Ware in the team. If that transfer fee allows us to bring in a better centre back than O'Ware who will improve the team, then we should take the transfer fee. If it doesn't, then we turn it down and let him see out his contract.