The Partick Thistle thread

Presume the plan is Meekings and hopefully Keown.
It's amazing just how poor our options are for central defenders even with all the things seemingly in our favour as a club.

Agreed. But players think in the here and now. This impending season. Many don't care about anything else about club when they want a wage and some stability for the year. The really good players are lucky enough to get 2 or 3 year deals but the many journeymen out there do not.

Once the training facility is built it'll change the game for recruiting as it will our youth development which is already bearing some positivity for us.

Archie has a good track record of finding those players and giving them stability, confidence and hopefully 2-3 more will come in.

Now Liam is heading onwards and upwards hopefully we can potentially see another Barton coming in? A sneaky wee fee for a forward or centre half? We can always dream.

I'm a bit worried how impressed you Whistle fans are about what Barnsley has to offer. One of you makes it sound like a cross between Vegas and the Maldives, rather than the windswept kebab shop hellhole that it really is.
Anyway.
If Lindsay does somehow make a success of his career down in the 19th century wilderness that is Barnsley, I promise I'll come on and apologise to you crazy kids. :thumsup2

'Kebab shop hellhole' [emoji23]

Was that Islamaphobia masked with humour?

I'm not sure where you live but look around you. The boy is in the business of playing football. He's looking for a stepping stone and a chance to showcase his talents in one of the most lucrative football countries in the world. Staying in Scotland isn't going to give him that chance.

Plus I think his nutritionist at Barnsley will be telling him to stay away from the Kebab shops. High fat content.

51 minutes ago, professor challenger said:

It's amazing just how poor our options are for central defenders even with all the things seemingly in our favour as a club.

Where is the link to Meekings actually coming from? The only press I have seen had him linked to Dundee.

cant comment how good he was with Inverness as don't really remember him being a stand out playing against us then again I didn't really remember that much about Devine either

1 hour ago, Reid said:

Ajer would be a terrific replacement for Lindsay. Reckon if Celtic are willing to loan him out to a Scottish team it would be Aberdeen or Hibs.

You never know. I seem to remember Rodgers being particularly complimentary about us at points during the season.

Talk of Barton raises the question of what formation will adopt next season? Will we go three at the back with Barton playing sweeper (his best position, imo) or with four at the back with Barton occupying one of the two defensive midfield spots with either Bannigan or Osman missing out?

1 hour ago, professor challenger said:

Caley fans suggesting on the Aberdeen thread that Meekings is looking for a club in England.

Talk of Barton raises the question of what formation will adopt next season? Will we go three at the back with Barton playing sweeper (his best position, imo) or with four at the back with Barton occupying one of the two defensive midfield spots with either Bannigan or Osman missing out?

I think that we'll go a back four with Devine and whoever we bring in (hopefully Keown) with Barton and Osman at the base of the midfield. I could see Bannigan being tried at centre attacking midfield. Similar sort of energy as Edwards but with an end product.
Get the feeling that Barton and Archie are in agreement that ideally Barton would play midfield.
Either way, I reckon we'll go back to a 4-2-3-1.

5 hours ago, cilitbang said:

Classy af from Archie. What a guy.

I hope Lindsay works hard and builds a good career, and stays away from the ching and slappers until after his £7 million move.

1 hour ago, Nizzy said:

c7NJRa2.gif?noredirect

The flexibility that Barton brings means that you should see plenty of both through the season.  I know fans like to compartmentalise these things, but what Barton brings is a pretty unique strategic asset to the team and Archie should continue to go between the two as it suits.

Edited by bunglebonce

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

c7NJRa2.gif?noredirect

The flexibility that Barton brings means that you should see plenty of both through the season.  I know fans like to compartmentalise these things, but what Barton brings is a pretty unique strategic asset to the team and Archie should continue to go between the two as it suits.

This. You could maybe attribute the top 6 in 16/17 vs just missing out in 15/16 to a few things, but for me the main difference was that for the first time since promotion we could change formations during a game if it wasn't going well without everyone being all at sea; the 2-0 vs Hamilton at Firhill being one of the more obvious examples where we were dog shit in the first half, took Amoo off for Doolan at HT, went 3-5-2 and dominated the second half.

If I was rating Barton's positions, I'd say sweeper in a 3 -> centre mid -> CB in a back 4 -> left mid (vs Hearts, but it sort of worked). So I'd be looking for enough players to allow us to play a 3-5-2 and a 4-2-3-1. On the assumption Lindsay is gone, in the 3-5-2 we would need a LCB, a RCB for cover and probably another CF to back up Doolan and Azeez (assume one or both of McLaughlin and Nisbet will be away on loan). In the 4-2-3-1 we would need the LCB anyway, and probably another option on the wing - we sort of replaced McDaid with Banton in that both were in squads but contributed little / literally nothing so there's a gap in the squad there.

So that leaves us with 2 CBs, ideally one left and one right, another winger and a CF. Which is probably what I said a couple of days ago in a few hundred less words.

I'd certainly take Meekings but I'd have thought he'd be bound for England, and there's not many occasions when a player more or less the whole bottom 8 would want ends up at Firhill, and when they do they tend to be Ryan Stevenson or Ziggy Gordon...

cb90d1b31b41fdc97c90446ac0fa6cb2.jpg

Looks like it will be one of these 4 templates.

The bottom right is the template being used for the home strip.

Oh, dear. I was hoping it would maybe be a band of colour perhaps?

c3f83bf79c57728ff3a5defdd450d424.jpg

#DavidIckeIsAJagsFan

Oh, well we've broken our Transfer record when/ if this deal goes through. Good luck to LL and hopefully we can find an adequate replacement. 
ETA: I wouldn't be too unhappy if we gazumped KFC and went for Kristoffer Ajer on a season long loan from Celtic.

I don't think Ajer will be put out on loan to a Scottish club next season.

I don't think Ajer will be put out on loan to a Scottish club next season.

Championship down south?
How did he fit into the Lillie team?
Seemed very accomplished for a teenager?

Top league 1 or lower Championship I reckon.... He's got the potential to be good, very composed with the ball at his feet, but I'm not sure he is Celtic class at the moment , his main fault is he gets caught under the ball too much for my liking. If he is going back out on loan to a Scottish club it will be us thou, John Kennedy is very impressed with how we handle the youngsters.