The Partick Thistle thread

To the people that attend the dev games. Does those being offered new deals/being let go make sense or any surprises? 

Makes sense.

Lamont and McLaughlin have really improved the past 12 months, particularly in their fitness and size.

Cullen and Heard were never going to good enough to play at this level. McMullin and McInally is a slight surprises but McMullin didn't have agreat spell at Peterhead and we're well covered for full backs in McInally's case. Doherty hasn't progressed in the 12 months and didn't do much on loan at Queen's Park. Jamie Hall wasn't a footballer.

Ross County and Motherwell (there may be others) put out their lists today including a couple of "player x is out of contract but we've offered him a deal". Just seems strange we'd put out an update about the dev squad but not the main squad.

1 minute ago, Fuctifano said:

Ross County and Motherwell (there may be others) put out their lists today including a couple of "player x is out of contract but we've offered him a deal". Just seems strange we'd put out an update about the dev squad but not the main squad.

The statement tagged on a line saying that the first team details would follow "later in the week". You'd have thought they'd know one way or another though.

Happy with all of that. Wouldn't be too smart to hand out a decent wage to Welsh when we already had Barton, Osman, Bannigan, Edwards and McCarthy signed up for next season. Whereas the Fraser deal makes sense because it's short-term and presumably on much less money. Although I probably would have binned him too.

Welsh was good this season, though. Hope he gets a decent offer elsewhere. Amoo, Wilson, and Ridgers were always going.

Banton didn't even get a mention. Did we release him earlier this season?

Realistically I think we're looking at 2 central defenders (assuming Lindsay leaves), 2 attacking midfielders/wingers and 1 striker over the summer.

4 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Happy with all of that. Wouldn't be too smart to hand out a decent wage to Welsh when we already had Barton, Osman, Bannigan, Edwards and McCarthy signed up for next season. Whereas the Fraser deal makes sense because it's short-term and presumably on much less money. Although I probably would have binned him too.

Welsh was good this season, though. Hope he gets a decent offer elsewhere. Amoo, Wilson, and Ridgers were always going.

Banton didn't even get a mention. Did we release him earlier this season?

Realistically I think we're looking at 2 central defenders (assuming Lindsay leaves), 2 attacking midfielders/wingers and 1 striker over the summer.

He was only on loan, I think, so presumably we're just going to let him go back to Crawley and hope everyone just forgets all about it.

Decent interview with Keown: http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/partick_thistle/15302718.Niall_Keown_would_be_happy_to_return_to_Partick_Thistle_next_season/

Saying if he won't be getting regular games at Reading he'll head out on loan again. If that were to be the case I'd like to get him permanently but either way it would be great to have him back.

1 hour ago, Red 'N Yellow said:

Decent interview with Keown: http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/partick_thistle/15302718.Niall_Keown_would_be_happy_to_return_to_Partick_Thistle_next_season/

Saying if he won't be getting regular games at Reading he'll head out on loan again. If that were to be the case I'd like to get him permanently but either way it would be great to have him back.

His contract runs out end of next season so IF Reading go up.. They might let us get him for cheap/ free since even full asking price for Keown wouldn't even be a fraction of the TV money they will get.

5 hours ago, Griff Sheridan said:

The new shape doesnt suit Amoo at all. He can't cover right back. I liked him, but can see why we've gotten rid if we've someone else lined up.

I was a bit meh about Amoo until those last two games where he put in an apology of a performance both times. Presumably he wasn't playing for a new contract by then. 

You'd think Welsh will easily get a contract somewhere else.
All the best to him.

He will. Falkirk, St Mirren, Morton are all going to be pushing hard again in Championship next season and I'd think he's bring great experience to one of them.

Possibly Accies? As an outside bet. If he stays fit he's a great addition. But that is the issue. 4-5 month in and then out maybe isn't a good investment.