The Partick Thistle thread

1 great game and a bunch of good games in 10 is absolutely fine by me.

Admittedly I'm viewing this on basis of only home games as only made Airdrie and Aberdeen away in the cup. I think he's decent enough as a squad player, but he's massively overrated imho. Alot of games he'll spend alot of time charging about relentlessly without being hugely effective. Also pretty good at winning ball back then losing it shortly after. Don't mind having him, but shouldn't be considered one of our best and I think we should be looking at a more effective/consistent starter next season.

Pretty happy with that, can play numerous positions. I'd not have been arsed about him leaving a couple of years ago, but hes been very solid defensively and has a great engine. Hes gotten better the further back hes played in the team. 

I genuinely don't get people who date rate Edwards.

Not saying he's our best player technically and he doesn't have loads of assists. But the effect he has on the team by all the chasing and closing down he does is massively overlooked. When Rogic game on against Celtic at Park Head Edwards marked out out the game and he didn't get a sniff.

There's a reason he's one so many player of the month awards!

26 minutes ago, ScottyPTFC said:

I genuinely don't get people who date rate Edwards.

Hoping the typo here is for "don't rate' rather than 'date rape'.

Also the reason he's won so many player of the month awards is it's a vote open to anyone on the website, he's the only player who actually seems to care enough to highlight it to his followers on social media to vote. 

I think Edwards is good, but even one of the club tweets saying why he was on the shortlist said something like “he outran every opponent he faced” which is a tremendous endorsement for a 10,000m runner but less so for a footballer.

He’s not as good at breaking up play as Osman, not as good at passing as Welsh or Fraser, and doesn’t create or score anywhere near as much as Erskine. However, his energy and workrate are good in games where we don’t have a lot of the ball (like Azeez’s strength and pace).

Great news regarding Christie, amazing utility and keeps improving. 

Regarding Edwards, he's got great energy which inspires everyone around him to press that bit more. However, once he has the ball it ends up back to opposition as his touch n final ball are usually naff. 

He should be groomed into a shit Kante type midfielder as he is on the same level of composure as Azeez infront of goal...

Edited by cilitbang

I reckon his positivity (on and off the pitch) and his energy every game makes him well liked by the support. I agree that he needs to work on creating/scoring/breaking up play and to nail down a role, but he's still fairly young and he's improved since last season. Don't think he's our PoTY in any case.

I think it says it all that the best clip the club could use in the season ticket promo was Edwards running to catch the ball...

What I would say is that it shows how far we've come from the days of Darren Brady et al when opinion is divided on Edwards. His energy is unbounded but I find him a very frustrating player to watch in a technical sense; poor touch, often poor execution and doesn't contribute enough when we're in possession.

If we're looking to #kickon next season, he could find himself under a bit of pressure. Interested to see what kind of midfielder Archie brings in.

3 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

Interested to see what kind of midfielder Archie brings in.

If you're specifically meaning CM, probably none. Could potentially go into next season with Osman, Barton, Bannigan, Welsh, Edwards and Fraser at the position.

12 hours ago, Nightmare said:

If you're specifically meaning CM, probably none. Could potentially go into next season with Osman, Barton, Bannigan, Welsh, Edwards and Fraser at the position.

Yeah, if he's confident enough with their fitness, I wouldn't think we'd need someone brought in.  Maybe one if he believes that Bannigan/Welsh/Fraser may end up fucked at some point.  

Priority will be the same as it was this year - at least one center back (depending on who stays/leaves) and a forward who can score goals.  I know it's not quite as simple as that, but if we had a third option for when Doolan isn't quite firing and Azeez just bein' Azeez.  That would make a huge difference to us

I agree. A center half and a forward would be ideal. Erskine is a great player but he and Edwards don't score enough goals from midfield. It'd be nice to have a number 10 styled player who can nab 8-12 goals per season. Maybe Erskine will work on that. I thought after the seasons start he'd be that guy but he has been very inconsistent. But no doubt the quality he does bring to the team.

I like Edwards but one of the main reason he's won a few player of the month awards this year is that he retweets every nomination onto his timeline, so all his pals/family etc pile in with the votes.

Allegedly.

1 hour ago, Rednyella said:

Erskine is a great player but he and Edwards don't score enough goals from midfield. It'd be nice to have a number 10 styled player who can nab 8-12 goals per season. Maybe Erskine will work on that. .

Erskine's only one off that total (in the league) this season, to be fair to him.

Hope we get a striker that can do a job out wide rather than a wide player that can do a job as a striker. Nearly every time we start with Doolan n Azeez up front and one tiers it feels like its game over when the replacement up front is Amoo. 

I definitely think we'll be looking for another striker with the amount of times we've either started with or switched to 3-5-2 this season, and as you say one of the strikers has ended up being Amoo or Erskine, neither of whom are suited to it. It'll be interesting to see what the plan is for Nisbet, he hit a bit of a bump in the road this season, by not doing very well at Ayr, and McLaughlin seems to have outperformed him in the dev league as well. He might get a couple of games between now and the end of the season if 4th becomes unattainable though.

Erskine's only one off that total (in the league) this season, to be fair to him.

Fair point. But I think you know what I mean.
Just seems he tailed off in the new year in regards the goals. Be nice to have him or a player be more a goal threat from midfield. That goes for Edwards and rest of those in that area.