The Partick Thistle thread

It's quite nice feeling that there isn't a real standout for POTY, shows how well everyone in the team has played and contributed over the season

Anyhoo..Lindsay for me (but he's only allowed to win the most coveted prize if he stays on for another year!)

1.) Cerny

2.) Doolan

3.) Lindsay

4.) Barton

5.) Booth

6.) Edwards.

A couple of blunders against Celtic and Killie aside, Cerny has once again been the difference between us pushing for top six and being in a relegation scrap. The penalty save at Parkhead is the standout moment of our season for me.

No idea why there's so many shortlisted, and even less idea how Booth and Edwards are ahead of Erskine.

A tad harsh on Edwards. He should produce more and score more goals for the work he does as a midfielder but he fully deserves the several MoM awards and player of the month awards he has won this season. He's one of he most industrious players on our team and covers every blade of grass on the field. The fittest guy on the park in many matches. He deserves the nomination but I don't think he should win it. Booth for me is Mr. Consistent. He is fit, does his job very well and creates for us up and down the line. But I don't think the last month he's been playing much due to injury. It's a tough call but nice to have so many players and there's no reason not to have 6 nominees from a squad of over 20 players.

Feels weird not seeing Osman's name on that list - even weirder when, thinking on it, it's probably fair enough that he's not there as he's been outshone a little bit by Barton in midfield this season! Would probably have had Erskine there ahead of Booth or Edwards but tbh with the season we've had I can't grudge it.

Also odd that on the Top 5 Scorers by season quiz there's no Sean Welsh on any of the lists, could have sworn he bagged a fair few in the 1st division but apparently not.

Sure I read on here that our record with Cerny vs. our record without him this season is strikingly different - he has a pretty demonstrable impact on the results we get. Saying that I'd still just about have Doolan as PotY ahead of him; breaking the 100 goal milestone, consistently bagging as many goals as he does, from open play, for a club our size, in a league as unforgiving as the SPFL Premiership?

I voted Lindsay for my bus vote. Dools, Tomas and Barton all have done well. I also think Devine and Niall Keown have been excellent since the turn of the year.

Anybody wanting a Doolan 100 scarf you can pm me on here. They're a tenner each and can be collected or posted out. They're due to be delivered around 4 May.

Although there are plenty of games left i'm looking forward to this summers transfer activity. How much will we get for Lindsay, 700k - 1 mil?

Preferably i'd like Keown back when Lindsay leaves, apart from that and probably an upgrade on Amoo what other positions do we need to strengthen in the summer?

I still hold out hope that Azeez will have a raucous second season and score about 30, but it wouldn't be an outrageous idea to have another striker.

Once Bannigan, Welsh and Osman are back we should have enough central midfielders and i guess Fraser might get one more chance to prove his fitness, who knows he could turn it around like welsh did, albeit his injury seems alot worse.

Edited by Maine

Squad under contract for next season assuming we don’t get Keown back and we sell Lindsay- both of which are more likely than not.

Cerny, Scully

Dumbuya, Booth, Penrice, Devine, Elliott

Osman, Barton, Bannigan

Edwards, Erskine, Lawless

Doolan, Azeez, Nisbet

Out of contract:

Elliott, Welsh, Fraser, Amoo, Wilson, Ridgers

I think the last 3 will go and don’t think there’ll be much uproar about that. I’d like Elliott to stay (edit: I'd like a soapy titwank off Alison Brie if this is how we're getting things done) and I’d offer Welsh a deal though he might look elsewhere if he’s wanting guaranteed games. Fraser might get a similar deal to Welsh 2 years ago til the end of August, but he’s also got the additional problem of the competition for places in midfield… this is of course assuming Bannigan is the player he was before his injury.

I think we’d need 2 centre halves, one left sided, to allow Barton to maybe flit between midfield and defence, and at least 2 attacking players- someone who could play up front and out wide would be ideal as it would help when we switch between 3-5-2 and 4-2-3-1 during games. Plus Elliott as general cover and another centre mid if neither Welsh nor Fraser stay.

Of those only under contract for 2018 (everyone bar Doolan, Barton, and Erskine) I’d –obviously- like to see Cerny extend his stay in the summer but there’s question marks over most of the rest in terms of injury, or form shading slightly this season.

Edited by Fuctifano
Elliott signing extension within 2 hours of post

1. Barton

2. Lindsay

3. Cerny

4. Doolan

5. Edwards

6. Booth

Barton walks it for me. Been outstanding near enough every week, and I don't think its much of a coincidence that our form got significantly better once he started playing regularly. Lindsay has improved week on week and he and Cerny ran Barton very close for my vote. Thought Dools would walk this because of the milestones, but it appears the results are fairly widely spread. I predicted at the end of last season that Edwards would be our POTY this year, so I'm glad I was almost right with his nomination, no idea why Booth is there. Consistent, yes, standout, no.

Great news. Been one of our most reliable performers over the last few years, and his ability to play equally well in just about every position on the pitch is a very rare quality to have in football. Probably saves us a few quid in having to sign a bunch of individual backups as well.

Good to see Christie sign on again. His dependability and versatility are clearly highly valued by Archie, and rightly so. Might not seem like praise but he's the exact sort of player that St Johnstone have built their teams on in recent years, and they've not done too badly. 

Remarkable to think that this contract will almost take him to his testimonial year. 

32 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:

Barton every damn day. Booth and Edwards shouldn't be on the list. Edwards I still don't rate as he has one great game in about ten.

Careful now - you'll offend the fan club.