The Partick Thistle thread

Players, with a few notable exceptions, aren't fans. A few thin-skinned souls have to come to terms with that. 

It looks to me as if Ziggy's been honest with the club and vice-versa. He saw his future elsewhere and we viewed him as a stopgap. It's proved to be a mutually-beneficial arrangement that's come to a natural end. Good luck to the lad.

Can't remember seeing him give more than a 6/10 performance to be honest.

Good move for him though. He's in a foreign league now so might have that whole Barry Douglas thing going on where people want him in the Scotland team purely because of that.

At the end of the day he never seemed comfortable in the defence. Whether that's because he didn't play with the others enough or if he has just been on a huge bad patch of form, I don't know. My two standout memories of him at Thistle were him backing off his man for about ten steps allowing County to equalise late at Firhill and him criminally missing a chance at Celtic Park where he could have squared it or at least shot on target. Good luck to him, however. I don't understand how anyone could criticise his attitude. Always made the extra effort to applaud the fans after the game which I appreciated.

1 hour ago, Reid said:

Most of the negativity is because he was honest in the media (which footballers get criticised for not doing). He said we were a stepping-stone to bigger things. About 90% of our players will think they same thing about us.

He did a job and left to further his career. Good luck to him.

I think the negativity was justified since he was largely shite for us. I need no reality check that footballers want to be playing for better teams than us, so I do actively like when they come out and say they are using us as a stepping stone, as it ultimately means that they're confident in their own ability and they'll play out their skin for a move which ultimately benefits us (albeit short-term). Gordon's performances were nowhere near good enough for him to justify his comments.

3 hours ago, Partick Monkey said:

I think it worked out fine. He was never going to be here long term and was always just an expensive cover until Muzzy and Elliot were fit again...

I don't get some of the negativity towards Ziggy. I thought he was pretty good for us, he's got a great attitude and decent ability. Good luck to him...

Absolutely no problem with the attitude he displayed, but on the pitch he didn't reach the level I was expecting of him. For Hamilton he was always a reliable performer against us, but I thought he was pretty poor for us in general, with a few decent games mixed in.

Edited by Nightmare

Only saw a handful of games he played in, but wouldn't have ever given him more than 4/10 in any of them.

It's nothing personal, just don't think he fitted in to our system very well.

Good luck to him elsewhere - at least he's not going to haunt us this season!

He started to play better the last 2/3 games actually, getting to about where he was at Hamilton. But can only agree with comments before, that often he was no where near the level he should have been. Will always remember the County game as well when he backed off, there was a mistake by Booth before that, but blame will lie with Ziggy unfortunately. Other than that, nice guy, hope he does well at the Polish Jags. 

In other news I saw Archie saying in the ET that Keown is likely to start on Saturday. Could be an interesting back line and wonder if Barton will move to centre mid. 

Edited by thistledo

I think the team will probably be -

Cerny
Elliott
Keown
Lindsay
Booth
Barton
Edwards
Welsh
Lawless
Erskine
Doolan

I think he'll want three centre mids with Osman being out and Amoo was pretty average last week, so he can't really complain if he drops out. Dumbuya isn't ready to start yet I don't think and Archie said as much on the Jagzone.

18 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

I think the negativity was justified since he was largely shite for us. I need no reality check that footballers want to be playing for better teams than us, so I do actively like when they come out and say they are using us as a stepping stone, as it ultimately means that they're confident in their own ability and they'll play out their skin for a move which ultimately benefits us (albeit short-term). Gordon's performances were nowhere near good enough for him to justify his comments.

Yet he's now moving to a team contending for Champions League football, suggesting his comments were justified. He did OK for us, came in late in the summer, was shunted around a few positions and his style wasn't an ideal fit for us. He was held to an unreasonably high standard by large sections of the support purely on the basis of his comments. He was average, not great but certainly not as crap as some people were determined to believe. 

The Arch's team is a stick on to start.

I like Amoo but he was poor last week and has been this season. He should have stuck out wide and bullied there full back. He was getting in Dumbuya's way when he came on. Wouldn't be surprised to see him leave this window tbh.

With Amoo you can see there is ability and he's got the physicality but again his head gets in the way of him developing. So many times you want him to take a risk and best his opponent, use his pace or we see something in the crowd and he chooses not to act or he doesn't see it. It could be he's just not intelligent enough to. I feel like Ade is in the same boat. Amazing ability. We all see it but he just doesn't have the confidence or maybe intelligence to see that final part. If he did he'd be one of the top goal scorers in the league. Both great lads with great attitudes. I hope this half of the season proves us all wrong.

Gordon was a good enough full back. But you could tell we are better all around squad than Accies and he was found out a touch when there was competition for places. Booth, Muzzy and even Elliott are all at same level or better so whilst a solid professional and good attitude Weve got the players back now and my residing memory will be earlier this season at home v Accies when he and Imrie got in each other's faces. Ziggy played well in that game and I agree he wasn't as bad as all made him out to be. All the best Ziggy.

27 minutes ago, Griff Sheridan said:

Amoo won't be leaving. I thought he got in Christie's way more than Dumbuya's. Him, Dumbuya and Osman link up really well. Though he definitely missed the opportunity to run rings round the Formartine left back last week. But then, Christie struggled to get by them too.

I don't know the jury is out for me as to whether amoo should get a new contract in the summer. With sat Azeez I can see the potential that why he's not been fantastic he's only 22 still learning and it's  his first year at the club so still settling in. David Amoo however is about 25/26, second year at the club and not kicked on as much as I had hoped.  Still need to see more from him before he should be given a new deal IMO

How many assists has Amoo got?

Like others have said, he doesn't tend to utilise his pace to beat a man then quickly ping a cross in. 

He is very stop start with the ball and floats a cross in - which doesn't really suit Doolan + opposing defence has time to get back. 

Falls into the "meh" category for me, confident we can find a better winger but won't lose sleep if Amoo stays

Edited by cilitbang

I heard earlier in the season that Archibald feels he doesn't follow the instructions set out for him and that's why he's been a bit part player this season.

Nice guy by all accounts and there is a player there. Let's hope he shows that to earn a new contract or a decent move.