The Partick Thistle thread

13 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Graeme McGarry in Evening Times saying Keown on loan will be confirmed today. Assume with a view to a permanent move in the summer, though he is under contract at Reading for another year. Lack of first team experience a bit of a worry though we have at least had a good look at him rather than taking a punt.

Has there been any mention that we would be looking to make Keowns move permanent? Don't get me wrong if he is really good I'd be delighted but can't see how we could compete with Reading 

3 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Has there been any mention that we would be looking to make Keowns move permanent? Don't get me wrong if he is really good I'd be delighted but can't see how we could compete with Reading 

He's 21 and has played about 2 league games in his career. I think if it was a stop-gap signing for 4 months we'd maybe have looked for a more experienced defender who was out of favour like a Lee Mair 3 years ago type signing. 

Plus, in case you'd forgotten, Weir minted now.

Was talking to a Reading fan on Twitter and he was saying to me that Keown is "a good utility player to bring on when defending a lead".

That can only be positive, especially if we're going to use Edwards as a guide. Wait and see I suppose.

Took a nosey on a Reading forum and only came across the following:

" He's a very good defender who should do well in the SPL. I think if he hadn't had such terrible luck with injuries then he would have played a significant role for us.

A few years ago he did really well in pre-season when three of the four defenders ahead of him were injured. Unfortunately he got injured himself shortly afterwards.

Strengths at centre back: reading the game, concentration, playing out from the back
Weaknesses at centre back: physicality - he's "only" six foot and of similarly ordinary pace. But he's a good threat at set pieces.

Strengths at right back: defending, height, crossing
Weaknesses at right back: overlapping "

If that is accurate my only concern is the lack of pace if he is paired with Lindsay/Barton

Keown in his Jagzone interview sounds intelligent, with a head on his shoulders and very confident. I like that Archie seems to recruit lads who clearly have some smarts. He doesn't seem dissimilar to Barton in that sense which doesn't necessarily mean he's a good footballer but certainly helps. Plus he has said he now has 2 weeks with us under his belt. Also pleasing. With Muzzy back running riot down the wing and Gordon's wages available, if we can get a touch more competition up front we'll be in great shape.

4 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Can't play for 3 different teams in a football season though?

As far as I can see he's only played for Oldham in competitive fixtures this season. He signed on loan with them on 9th July, so before the season had started.