The Partick Thistle thread

2 rumours on twitter 

the first is absolute nonsense we have Calvin zola on trial - someone with obviously too much time on their hands 

the second we are trying to sign Nathan Colgan from Drumbar United in Donegal - I don't know anything about this lad so know idea whether it's happening or another just made up one

The fans bit in Grasping the Thistle were filmed in the Royalty for some reason.

Haven't watched it for a long time so can't remember if there's more than one fans bit but if you're referring to the 3 guys sitting talking about the rivalry with Airdrie etc I think it was in Munn's lounge.

The Jackie Husband bus ran from the Royalty from (about) 1994 to when it stopped running in the early 2000s, after a falling out with the then landlord at the Woodside who had painted over all the Thistle stuff after taking over from the previous landlady.

The Royalty at that time was obviously more aligned to the other arse cheek but the staff were excellent, welcomed Thistle fans and put up Thistle memorabilia on the walls etc, they got right into it to the extent that for the cup semi final in 2002 the owners were in the Thistle end. Again, following a change of owner the pendulum swung back the other way and it is now uber-*** while the Woody is (reasonably) Thistle-friendly.

Although I was of the same opinion as H Wragg that the interviews in GTT were in Munn's, think there's footage of a player of the year night in the Polish club round the corner from the Royalty, which I was at but thankfully avoided the cameras.

29 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

The Jackie Husband bus ran from the Royalty from (about) 1994 to when it stopped running in the early 2000s, after a falling out with the then landlord at the Woodside who had painted over all the Thistle stuff after taking over from the previous landlady.

The Royalty at that time was obviously more aligned to the other arse cheek but the staff were excellent, welcomed Thistle fans and put up Thistle memorabilia on the walls etc, they got right into it to the extent that for the cup semi final in 2002 the owners were in the Thistle end. Again, following a change of owner the pendulum swung back the other way and it is now uber-*** while the Woody is (reasonably) Thistle-friendly.

Although I was of the same opinion as H Wragg that the interviews in GTT were in Munn's, think there's footage of a player of the year night in the Polish club round the corner from the Royalty, which I was at but thankfully avoided the cameras.

The Royalty opened at 11 am on the morning of the Scottish Cup semi against Rangers. It's not a pub you'd set foot in now though.

Some nice footage on Jagzone of the lads training in La Manga. Hopefully it's good for the soul and whilst they work hard out there it will also give them some much needed battery recharge. Certainly looks like a nice resort and sports facility.

Excellent time to go for Dumbayh and Ridgers so they can get up to speed and hopefully Azeez comes back with his scoring boots well and truly glued to his feet. Dumbayh back will be like a new signing for us!

I'm in the middle on the opinion of Ade. I'm not as gun ho as the lad on Jag cast and the match commentary who thinks he will start scoring and mature into a great player but I don't think he is thick as mince and a waste of space. I think he offers an athletic physicality and something to make opposition defenders think but if he doesn't start scoring the odd goal here and there soon I don't see how we can defend him. If Dools keeps scoring, which I'm sure he will, this lad will find it tough to play minutes a striker needs.

At the end of he day as a forward in this league not being able to score at all is a problem especially when the players around him are of the quality they are. Edwards, Erskine, Doolan, Lawless, Booth, Welsh are all there around him. He's being given plenty of chances. I expect 4-6 goals return 2nd half season or I may change my mind. Plus is not fair on the young lads watching on who may think they deserve a chance to prove their abilities above him. It is a shocking stat based on his opportunities.

Lastly at this point it's ludicrous to suggest he is better than Lyle Taylor. Numbers and figures show that is definitely not the case. He's starts scoring and who knows he could turn into a valuable asset as he seems a nice young bloke and he does work hard. No doubt in that.

Don't think there's a massive difference in ability between Taylor and Ade tbf, but one massive difference is that Taylor had no lack of confidence. As mentioned earlier, Taylor used to just wallop the ball towards goal which nabbed him a few goals. Could argue that Azeez should be doing the same to avoid overthinking it when he has a chance to shoot.

I remember seeing ade in the first match of the season at airdrie and texting my old man saying he looked like another striker who didn't score many goals. I haven't seen anything yet to change my mind, however, I think he brings something different and as I keep telling my mates, if he was strong, quick, big and scored goals he wouldn't be at Firhill so one of those is bound to be missing

6 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

What pub/location did the JH bus run from before the Woodside? I travelled on it for a couple of years in the mid 80's, if I remember correctly would have been om St. George's Road just up from the Bank of Scotland, roughly where the Prego takeaway is nowadays.

Edited by German Jag

4 minutes ago, German Jag said:

What pub/location did the JH bus run from before the Woodside? I travelled on it for a couple of years in the mid 80's, if I remember correctly would have been om St. George's Road just up from the Bank of Scotland, roughly where the Prego takeaway is nowadays.

I'm not that old and my dad is no longer with us to ask. I know it was the St George's cross bus in the 80s, maybe Castle Vaults? Maybe wasn't even a pub but seems unlikely.