The Partick Thistle thread

I don't understand why any Scottish manager would drop to League One, filled with brutal teams all deluding themselves into thinking because the EPL is massive so are they, while you're fucked with the fans from day one due to coming from the "jock league", despite the resounding success most successful managers up here have when they go down south (Neil), as they judge it on the fucking shite managers who somehow got a move down there (McInnes, Lomas, Stubbs etc.)

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't understand why any Scottish manager would drop to League One, filled with brutal teams all deluding themselves into thinking because the EPL is massive so are they, while you're fucked with the fans from day one due to coming from the "jock league", despite the resounding success most successful managers up here have when they go down south (Neil), as they judge it on the fucking shite managers who somehow got a move down there (McInnes, Lomas, Stubbs etc.)

If it makes financial sense for his family then you can't really blame him tbh

McInnes and Lomas were hardly "shite"
managers were they? Lomas wasn't very likeable but he had a successful season with us. McInnes was also successful at Saints and since his spell down south has sorted Aberdeen out.

I don't disagree with the sentiment but apart from the obvious financial reasons I think it probably depends on how the manager sees his career developing.

If he has genuine aspirations of managing in England and all that brings with it then there may well be a feeling that he has to start somewhere. Even more so if he has no real profile in the English game or experience of their league.

I'd say Neil has probably been the exception rather than the rule in terms of relative success moving from this league to Championship and even then he saw his side relegated last season.

Having said that I'd be quite surprised if Archibald swapped the relative security he seems to have at Thistle, unless of course he feels he's taken things as far as he can and this is an opportunity that benefits all parties. Thistle get some money and he gets to move with his CV showing he consolidated his side as a top flight club.

Our two relegations from the top division in my lifetime have come the season after the manager who got us promoted (Lambie on both occasions, obvs) left. So that would be ominous never mind the potential for appointing an absolute clown.

I wouldn’t blame him if he left as he might reckon this is as far as he can take Thistle and he’ll leave the club on his own terms with legend status.

11 hours ago, Highlandmagyar said:

Knowing our board it will be Barry Ferguson of Donald Trump.

Unlikely, as we already have a squad that folds up when it's within 20 feet of a team called 'Rangers'.

A quick glance at the Shrewsbury Town fans' forum reminded me of the pomposity that permeates English football.

Archibald's already being derided as some no-mark Jock who won't be able to handle Shrewbury's superstars - Ian Black, Ryan McGivern, Jim O'Brien and Jack Grimmer among them - and doesn't have the nous needed to manage at their level.

They seem to be basing their opinions on the 'fact' that Lee Clarke has been a success(!) in Scotland, so our league must be sh*t. Oh, and Colin McMenamin was one of the top strikers in Scotland, apparently.

It's almost enough to make me hope he does leave and is a success down there.

5 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

A quick glance at the Shrewsbury Town fans' forum reminded me of the pomposity that permeates English football.

Archibald's already being derided as some no-mark Jock who won't be able to handle Shrewbury's superstars - Ian Black, Ryan McGivern, Jim O'Brien and Jack Grimmer among them - and doesn't have the nous needed to manage at their level.

They seem to be basing their opinions on the 'fact' that Lee Clarke has been a success(!) in Scotland, so our league must be sh*t. Oh, and Colin McMenamin was one of the top strikers in Scotland, apparently.

Lucas Akins was one of the best players in a team promoted from League One last season. That's enough to put them back in their box.

You only need to look at what Graham Carey is doing in league one to see how piss poor the standard is.  No doubt the salaries given to manager are just as ludicrous as the salaries given to players.  I can quite see the attraction if you have very little ambition.

27 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

It's not a league that I've ever given much attention to but I've been keeping an eye on League 1 this season purely on account of Johnson having ended up at Oxford and Stephen Robinson taking the Oldham manager's job (with Baraclough as his assistant!) and taking guys like Josh Law with him along with bringing in Connor Ripley and Lee Erwin on loan.

There's such a weird delusional entitlement around quite a few of the fanbases, particularly Oxford who seem to take a bizarre moral high ground and have a far higher opinion of themselves than they actually warrant. I watched their game against Wimbledon the other week when it was on the telly and it was absolutely dire. Proper throwback hoofball stuff. For all the talk of the attraction of the game in England, their lower leagues seem to be utterly soul destroying; empty stands and generally poor fare with managers getting binned left, right and centre.

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It's not a league that I've ever given much attention to but I've been keeping an eye on League 1 this season purely on account of Johnson having ended up at Oxford and Stephen Robinson taking the Oldham manager's job (with Baraclough as his assistant!) and taking guys like Josh Law with him along with bringing in Connor Ripley and Lee Erwin on loan.

There's such a weird delusional entitlement around quite a few of the fanbases, particularly Oxford who seem to take a bizarre moral high ground and have a far higher opinion of themselves than they actually warrant. I watched their game against Wimbledon the other week when it was on the telly and it was absolutely dire. Proper throwback hoofball stuff. For all the talk of the attraction of the game in England, their lower leagues seem to be utterly soul destroying; empty stands and generally poor fare with managers getting binned left, right and centre.

I watched the Oxford v Wimbledon game too and the standard was laughable.  Guys looking the part with their pink boots, top-knots and sleeve tattoos who cannot control a ball, others who pass it 10 yards either side of the intended recipient, and big brute central defenders who spend the entire game launching it into the corners, usually out for a goal kick.

Eye-bleeding stuff.

I've quickly pulled together a list of those Scots/players who've played north of the Border who are currently playing with/attached to League One clubs.

It's a collection of names that would strike fear into the heart of any prospective Shrewsbury manager...

Sean Kelly

Lyle Taylor

Nicky Law

Filipe Morais

Chris Robertson

Mark McChrystal

Josh Magennis

Paul McGinn

Thomas Grant

Declan McManus

Jack Hendry

Gregg Wylde

Zander Diamond

Connor Ripley

Josh Law

Jamie Reckord

Ryan Flynn

Billy McKay

Lee Croft

Lee Erwin

Chris Maguire

Alex MacDonald

Kane Hemmings

Marvin Johnson

George Moncur

Conrad Logan

Murray Wallace

Jamie Ness

George Long

John Fleck

Stefan Scougall

Mark McNulty

Ryan McGivern

Ian Black

Jim O’Brien

Jack Grimmer

Isaiah Osbourne

Honestly, just who the f*ck do these Shropshire bumpkins think they are?

19 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

Sean Kelly

Mark McChrystal

Josh Magennis

Declan McManus

Gregg Wylde

Josh Law

Conrad Logan

John Fleck

Ryan McGivern

Ian Black

Isaiah Osbourne