The Partick Thistle thread

29 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

We've got a big fucking German!

Now just to keep Welsh out the team and I'll be somewhat positive of us picking up points

Is he Thistle's first German?

On the upside, and judging by the match videos I have watched, he's quite good at digging chicken-headed defences out of deep dooh-dooh. I wonder how good a coach he is.

The decision not to offer Gallacher a dual player/coach role seems even more strange now, if we had kept him on we wouldn't have had to sign another GK coach and 2 other keepers since then. If he's half decent and keeps Scully out (although I think Scully will start tomorrow) then good.

32 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Yeah, I saw he was signed till January, but JF is spot on with what I mean. Seems like Uncle Psychosis has answered that from the meet the manager answer. Smart move to get someone else in so that we aren't rushing Cerny back and relying on Scully.

I was specifically referring to your "judging by".  I meant that January was the shortest-term date that he could sign until, implying that it doesn't mean Cerny is out until Christmas.  My comment was unintentionally opaque there, sorry.

Edited by bunglebonce

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

I was specifically referring to your "judging by".  I meant that January was the shortest-term date that he could sign until, implying that it doesn't mean Cerny is out until Christmas.  My comment was unintentionally opaque there, sorry.

Ah, I get you now. Hopefully now that there is less pressure/reliance on him to get fit, he can allow himself ample recovery time in order for this not to flare up again or as frequently.

4 hours ago, Red 'N Yellow said:

The decision not to offer Gallacher a dual player/coach role seems even more strange now, if we had kept him on we wouldn't have had to sign another GK coach and 2 other keepers since then. If he's half decent and keeps Scully out (although I think Scully will start tomorrow) then good.

I thought we did offer Gallacher a player/coach role, but as a result of him knowing that he'd be 3rd choice keeper with us and not realistically having many opportunities to play, he took the same role (with an obviously higher wage) at Hearts.

I'd say he's a sideways step from Gary Miller. Doesn't offer much going forward; acceptable enough defensively. A more attacking minded full back like Dumbuya is probably better suited to us than Gordon.

I suspect we signed him with a view to being able to fill in at centre half aswell when necessary, but seeing as he's our only available right back just now it'll be a while until we might see him there.

58 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

How's Ziggy getting on?

Despite him being a bit of a hero at Accies, I often felt this was more down to his length of time at the club and his never say die attitude and commitment rather than actual footballing ability.

Footballing ability is clearly very minimal, and he's definitely the poorest RB we've had on the ball in years. He's very good off the ball in terms of marking/tracking his man, tackling and positioning, though, which obviously are required as a defender. But so far he's not living up to expectations, I'd say, mainly as a result of how bad he's been with dallying on the ball, poor distribution, etc.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Footballing ability is clearly very minimal, and he's definitely the poorest RB we've had on the ball in years. He's very good off the ball in terms of marking/tracking his man, tackling and positioning, though, which obviously are required as a defender. But so far he's not living up to expectations, I'd say, mainly as a result of how bad he's been with dallying on the ball, poor distribution, etc.

Wasn't at the Killie game but I thought Gordon wasn't any great shakes defensively or at covering his centre-back either in the Hearts and St Johnstone games.

7 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Wasn't at the Killie game but I thought Gordon wasn't any great shakes defensively or at covering his centre-back either in the Hearts and St Johnstone games.

The whole team was awful against St Johnstone, although I don't remember him doing anything wrong in the Hearts game. He had a tough job yesterday, as Coulibaly often drifted out to his wing and is a nifty wee b*****d, and there was the occasional lapse between him & Devine where neither seemed to know whose job it was to pick him up, but I thought he actually contained him pretty well for the most part when Coulibaly was drifting out wide. Whether or not he did enough to cover Devine inside is again up for debate, though.

I do think Ziggy will be solid enough for us, but he's never going to provide the kind of threat O'Donnell or Dumbuya did/do, which is unfortunate as it's obvious having attacking FBs add a lot to our style of play.