The Partick Thistle thread

The great Thistle curse strikes again.

He's into his tenth senior club and he's only 27. That tells you all you need to know.

He'll play out of his skin once in every dozen or so games for Dunfermline. The Pars fans will talk him up, Higgy will get carried away with all the hype and he'll skulk away to another average club at the end of the season. That's how it works with him.

The great Thistle curse strikes again.

He's into his tenth senior club and he's only 27. That tells you all you need to know.

He'll play out of his skin once in every dozen or so games for Dunfermline. The Pars fans will talk him up, Higgy will get carried away with all the hype and he'll skulk away to another average club at the end of the season. That's how it works with him.

Yeah but could Sevco afford him?

Fond memories of his goal against Hibs, but fk me, players leaving us for brighter things don't often end up doing well.

Off the top of my head, in recent seasons:

Marc Twaddle (back to Falkirk for £75k, may have been the league above us). Paddy Boyle (went to Dunfermline who were in the SPL at that time, league above us), Liam Buchanan (also to Dunfermline, injury problems wrecked his career, I'm still quite fond of him + his beastin' Aston Martin), Conrad Balatoni, Higgy, Erskine (thankfully saw the light and came home!), Jonny Tuffey (who went from getting involved in NI squads with us to.... whatever he's doing now), Paul Paton (move to Dundee Utd undoubtedly ended in disaster for him and his club on account of the Zaluska stuff, the WATP nonsense at Rangers-Celtic last season as club captain of a rival SPFL side, and getting relegated)

Harkins did well for himself but he's the only one coming to mind that left us and didn't spiral into oblivion shortly thereafter. ATS and O'Donnell I've admittedly not followed much but perhaps the jury is still out on whether they made the right call since it's only been a season. Lyle Taylor far and away a better player for coming here and then going back down to England but he was never permanently our player anyway!

edit: and of course on the managerial side of things Jackie McNamara has had a hilarious crash-and-burn after leaving Firhill.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Isn't dunfermline also a plastic pitch? I liked Higgy but it looks like we were just the purple patch of his career. 

Bloody hell, where have you been? The SPL told us to get rid of it in 2005.

ATS has been away for two seasons, played one game for Wigan, got stuck in the reserves, got injured, got relegated to league 1, moved to Doncaster, hated by fans, got relegated to league 2, got another bad injury. Not my definition of a roaring success. SOD seemed to spend a fair bit of time injured last season as well.

It has only been one season but the guy who unquestionably has had success since leaving is Scott Fox...

Yeah I was surprised to see that ATS is really disliked at Doncaster, although he's part of a team that got them relegated. SOD to Luton was always a strange move, he's now stuck with a midtable League 2 side. In terms of loanees, Moncur and Taylor have undoubtedly done well since leaving.

14 minutes ago, Griff Sheridan said:

ATS or Booth. Who would you rather have?

Booth, definitely. Never really got the hype about Taylor-Sinclair and didn't think he was ever a standout. Felt the same about Booth when he first joined but he's grown into one of the most consistent performers in our squad.

Not much in it for me, pretty much as above. Booth has been on a fairly steady upward curve since he signed which is encouraging. Mind when we had Jake Carroll or a coked-up Jordan McMillan or Stuart Bannigan at LB for half a season (in Bannigan's case half an hour at this level)? lol.

Same question for RB then, Dumbuya or SOD? If Muzzy didn't miss so many games he'd be streets ahead but in addition to that SOD chipped in with more goals and assists and had superior hair.