Berwick Rangers 2016/17

A fantastic win yesterday and great to see fans getting behind the team and the players responding to that. There seems to be growing feel-good factor certainly on the pitch at BRFC but it also seems to get to January/February before it feels this way.

Our past 4 seasons by calendar year read:

2015/16 (points/games)

2016: 28/18 - 1.56 points per game
2015: 21/18 - 1.16

2014/15

2015: 23/19 - 1.21
2014: 20/17 - 1.18

2013/14

2014: 30/18 - 1.66
2013: 22/18 - 1.22

2012/13

2013: 30/20 - 1.50
2012: 19/16 - 1.19

With the exception of 14/15, there has been a vast improvement in the second half of each season and 16/17 looks well on the way to following that trend.

If this continues right until the end of the season, chat will be optimistic in the summer, there'll be loads of excitement surrounding new signings in the summer and this cycle will begin again: 'Doom and gloom by Sept/Oct, no chance of promotion by Nov/Dec, calls fo sack the manager Dec/Jan, a few signings and bang, everything's rosy again'.

While all is well at the moment, this summer is vital for Coff now with a full year in the full-time role under his belt, and the board, to get a competitive team on the pitch right from the word go on 2017/18.

Some of the recent permanent signings e.g. Phillips, Scullion, would suggest we're on our way to that.

If not, and the cycle continues year after year after year, then it's going to get to the stage where what's the point?

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sending off aside, how did David Verlaque get on for you lads on Saturday?? Must admit, for the large part, I liked him at Stirling, sure his crossing was suspect but when he was playing regular and enjoying his football then he was dangerous going forward. Comes across as a good bloke as well so I wish him well.

Sending off aside, how did David Verlaque get on for you lads on Saturday?? Must admit, for the large part, I liked him at Stirling, sure his crossing was suspect but when he was playing regular and enjoying his football then he was dangerous going forward. Comes across as a good bloke as well so I wish him well.

I thought he was decent to be fair. Was never a fucking red either so not looking into that.

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

He did well enough to warrant another look - his introduction and insistence on hugging the touchline really helped us take advantage of the spare man at that moment in time. But although he made a decent impact I'd be waiting for the ban to expire and have another look before offering him anything if I were Cough. While it was a nice change adding that width to the side and it did certainly add to our momentum on the day, I'd wanna see how he does against 11 when things are a bit tougher and he's not simply being 'allowed' that space out wide as a result of circumstance.

It's like how the Scottish Cup used to work.

Lowland and EOS league clubs play in the EOS Qualifying Cup... and those who reach a certain stage qualify for the East of Scotland Cup (which is colloquially called 'the City Cup' for reasons no-one seems to fully understand) - to make a round number alongside SPFL clubs.

Hearts and Hibs play in the EOS Shield - it's them specifically, not to do with being in the Premiership.

Ever since Livingston quit the EOSFA it's been Berwick + Qualifying Cup winner = Final. Now it's Berwick + Edinburgh City + Qualifying Cup finalists = Semi-finals. So if Hawick reach the EOS Qualifying Cup Final tonight they also qualify to the City Cup.

If say Cowdenbeath go down and East Kilbride come up, it'd be Berwick + Ed City + EK + Qualifying Cup winner = 4.

Though it hasn't happened since the 1930s - I think 4 (or 5) SPFL clubs would mean 2 City Cup QFs; not all 4 Qualifying Cup Semi-Finalists (or the finalists and winner of a 3rd/4th place play-off) coming through into a full set of QFs.

To put that into more tangible terms...

Spartans beat East Kilbride in the EOS Qualifying Cup Semi-Final last month and the other Semi-Final between Hawick and Lothian Thistle was delayed (it was then postponed a fortnight ago and they try again tonight). Spartans v Hawick/LTHV in the EOS Qualifying Cup Final is on Sunday 19th March.

Meanwhile by reaching that showpiece they qualified for the EOS Cup aka 'City Cup'. Spartans drew Edinburgh City (Tuesday 28th March) and Hawick/LTHV drew Berwick (was Wednesday 29th March but according to EOSFA website it's been brought forward to Wednesday 8th March).

I'm sure it has happened in the past - but one of the oddities of that date change is that Hawick or LTHV could actually be eliminated from the East of Scotland Cup, before they finish playing the EOS Qualifying Cup, i.e. if they lose to Berwick in a fortnight.

Indeed (or the other way around - article about SFs draw doesn't say who would be home in the Final). Could be:

Berwick & Edinburgh City
Berwick & Spartans
Hawick & Edinburgh City
Hawick & Spartans
LTHV & Edinburgh City
LTHV & Spartans

Very seldom if ever have both non-league clubs made the City Cup Final. If that happened you'd have Spartans v Hawick/LTHV in a Final on March 19th and then again the following month!

Traditionally the Scottish League clubs were always kept apart in Sfs and drawn at home - though on a few occasions we've given-up home advantage, e.g. v LTHV about 10yrs ago and v Gretna a few years ago - but everyone has proper grounds and lights now.

From our perspective it's not a particularly encouraging potential field of opponents given we were spanked 3-0 at home by Spartans in August; went down 3-2 at home to Hawick in October; and drew 0-0 with LTHV last season. Moreso as Coughlin has traditionally mixed the first XI with some subs/U20s.

So to summarise, the winner will play a final v Spartans for the Qualifying cup, and both are semi finalists with us and Edinburgh in the City cup?

We're home to Clyde on the 7th so if it's the 8th it'll be a reserve/20's squad. Still, probably do better than last time we met.

20 hours ago, The Voytek said:

Kebab Cup forum for this pish please.

LTHV spanked Hawick 4-0 last night. So it's a trip to Saughton Enclosure in a fortnight. Last time there goals from Horne and Little won us a City Cup, it must've been around 2008.

So verlaque has signed with us despite the red card last saturday. Dunnoy if we really needed him, squad getting a bit bloated like this.

I heard it was an unwarranted red, and that otherwise he did well on Saturday. Showed (me at least) last night in the 20's match that he's got a lot to offer in skill, desire and physicality to be worth a punt as a valuable member of the squad. We'll need strength in depth. Works for me; but depends I guess what we're paying him to assess value for money.

Showed (me at least) last night in the 20's match that he's got a lot to offer in skill, desire and physicality to be worth a punt as a valuable member of the squad.

Would agree with this, as I've said elsewhere, he could be a good player for you.

Archived