Berwick Rangers 2016/17

No playoff excitement for us so time to look ahead to July. Coff building the core of a good squad very early, and based on the last 11 games there is an excitement building. Its been our target year on year but this time surely we'll be playoffs minimum.

Current Squad:

Keepers: Walker

Defenders: Fairbairn, Wilson, Bev, Bauld

Midfielders: McKenna, Hogg

Strikers: Lavery, Helm

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get Notman and Henderson signed and I'll buy into the "core of a good squad" case. Surprised Notman hasn't signed yet. I

know East Fife are after him, but I understand he's been offered a 2 year deal, a testimonial and a coaching role. Maybe he just got bored playing in pish lower-middle league teams and fancied a change of scene. Henderson has also been offered a 2 year deal but has a number of other offers on the table.

Crane and McGregor were instrumental in our fine conclusion to the season. With McNeil apparently off to Broadwood next

season, Coff is going to have to find two good attacking full backs. We also need a midfield playmaker. So lots to be done

yet before we have a squad capable of contesting the top four.

Can't see us getting either loanee back but it'd be good if Cough can utlise the good relations and work he's done with the youngsters from Hibs to secure us more.

Glad to see Jonny signed on for 2 years. Tough start for him this season but Cough knows how to play to his strengths and he's been superb since his arrival. Beveridge looks fairly solid but think year is the right decision - still plenty to prove yet.

Pleased to see Walker kept on too despite a bit of a horror in his first 4-5 months. Was brilliant in the last 4-5 home games especially, made some key saves and of course recorded plenty of clean sheets. Lot of potential and still a lot of work to do but hoping confidence to come off his line more often will come with experience. Unlike Dominic, I can't claim that I made him the player he is as it was clearly Cough going out and signing Billy Bald to put the pressure on him that got a reaction. World class management. However, with Walker signed it leaves a dilemma  - despite doing nothing in particular wrong I find it hard to have confidence in Wally should he get injured or dip again and need protected.

Wouldn't label the squad as play-off making yet, way too early. I would however say he has an awful lot of work to do - whilst I'm not against anyone signed up so far for me he's signed up only 2 players who are proven...

Brian Martin in the press today saying he's turned down a new deal at Shielfield because he's "too old for this game". Odd. Thought he'd signed an 18 month deal when he joined us?

Well done Coff - League 2 manager of the month for April. Just rewards for an excellent climax to an otherwise disappointingseason.

The hard work starts now though, putting together a team capable of finishing higher than 6th. Hearing Stirling Albion stillafter Notman.

Sulk over.

Bizarre news about Martin. If true, it means we are currently back to the defence that got us into deep poo up to last Xmas. Probably Minus Mcneil.

And why would Notman sign for Stirling? That's just mad.

One thing for sure though, Coff's signings will be better than Cameron's

By the way, anyone know if Coultress and Drummond have actually been released?

Feel the squad is shaping up nicely. Heard that Bri Martin has now all but agreed a deal. If we can then tie down blair and Notman we are looking quite strong, coupled with whatever signings Coff was up his sleeve

• 4 weeks later...

Archived