Albion Rovers FC: Season 2016 - 2017

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For Football Manager doing the Scottish teams squads for there best ever season.

Ah I see.

A few of my Rovers colleagues on this board are a little older than me (sorry Bold and Snuffy [emoji12]) and may have a different view from their own experiences

You set out the argument nicely, Sam, and each of the three teams you cite has a case for the best Rovers team of my time. Davie Provan's team won the old second division with some style in 89. It was a fourteen team division and we were unbeaten at home - winning nearly all of our games - until the league was just about secured. We came close to surviving in the division above, taking the scalps of Accies, Thistle, Falkirk, Ayr and others that season.

You set out the argument nicely, Sam, and each of the three teams you cite has a case for the best Rovers team of my time. Davie Provan's team won the old second division with some style in 89. It was a fourteen team division and we were unbeaten at home - winning nearly all of our games - until the league was just about secured. We came close to surviving in the division above, taking the scalps of Accies, Thistle, Falkirk, Ayr and others that season.

And of course there isn't much media around for me to look back at from that time. I did however see a clip from the old Scotsport that appeared from that year featuring Rovers v Clydebank (I think) played at the old Broomfield stadium. Finishing I think 5-4 to Clydebank and I think Archie McPherson was commentating.

That was the single season in which we were in the first division. We lost that game 3-4. In the 88-89 Championship season, we were frequently on Sportscene as they featured brief footage from the lower divisions. Specifically, I remember watching on TV the goals from a 3-2 home win v Alloa, and the clincher, a 2-0 defeat of Dumbarton.

That was the single season in which we were in the first division. We lost that game 3-4. In the 88-89 Championship season, we were frequently on Sportscene as they featured brief footage from the lower divisions. Specifically, I remember watching on TV the goals from a 3-2 home win v Alloa, and the clincher, a 2-0 defeat of Dumbarton.

Do you know why the game I posted the link for was played at Broomfield?

We played several home games at the start of 89-90 at Broomfield while work went on at Cliftonhill to upgrade for division 1. That included our opener agains Ayr - a 3-1 win which left us proudly atop the division for one week! I think it was well into September before we hosted Clyde at Cliftonhill and unfurled the flag. Unfortunately that was only our second win of the season and, despite a few fine results along the way, we didn't quite have enough for that division.

22 hours ago, sam2304 said:

Ah I see.

A few of my Rovers colleagues on this board are a little older than me (sorry Bold and Snuffy emoji12.png) and may have a different view from their own experiences

I'm nowhere near as old as Eddie; he remembers the 1920 cup final :P

Paul Martin's team was the bigger achievement for me and one the fans were more involved in (that night in the Georgian was unbeleiveable). The night we won the league at Broadwood, Darren took the team for a meal in Glasgow and Michael Savage was dispatched to the Georgian to break the news and get his wallet out to keep us happy. 

7 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

I'm nowhere near as old as Eddie; he remembers the 1920 cup final :P

Paul Martin's team was the bigger achievement for me and one the fans were more involved in (that night in the Georgian was unbeleiveable). The night we won the league at Broadwood, Darren took the team for a meal in Glasgow and Michael Savage was dispatched to the Georgian to break the news and get his wallet out to keep us happy. 

You and Mr Savage were very close!

On 25/06/2017 at 20:56, Bold Rover said:

We played several home games at the start of 89-90 at Broomfield while work went on at Cliftonhill to upgrade for division 1. That included our opener agains Ayr - a 3-1 win which left us proudly atop the division for one week! I think it was well into September before we hosted Clyde at Cliftonhill and unfurled the flag. Unfortunately that was only our second win of the season and, despite a few fine results along the way, we didn't quite have enough for that division.

I'm very torn between the '89 Championship team and Paul Martin's play off 2010 Champs. Both very similar teams with the 89 team just pipping it.

Thoroughly enjoyed my wee jaunt to Cliftonhill this afternoon, mainly down to big Joao Victoria making Clyde look like the Lowland League!

Thought you guys looked pretty decent throughout the team and, if the game had been a competitive affair, would probably have ran out even more comfortable visitors. It was big rebuilding job for Kerr, but to put in that sort of showing without some first team starters was pretty impressive.

Your big 'keeper looked assured, and dealt with everything with an air of confidence. I couldn't quite explain why, I just didn't ever feel in any doubt that he wouldn't be making a mistake. The two young lads at centre-back did well to deal with a guy of Goodwillie's ability, and Gormley's physicality, and the fact that he had to resort to chucking himself on the ground at every opportunity was testament to their work. Graeme Holmes looked a bit rusty, but still showed glimpses of the player he was at Alloa. He's a lovely passer of the ball, and played himself really calmly out of trouble a few times. He made a few mistakes, but I'm sure they'll disappear with game time.

Up top though Joao was the absolute man. He had it all. Pace, power, some lovely quick footwork that left the Clyde defence all at sea (especially in the first half), an aerial presence, strong hold up player and, above all else, two smashing goals. I've only seen him play twice for league teams (and the last time was in a friendly against us just after he joined Queen's Park) and both times I've been impressed, despite him struggling for form in the SPFL. Getting him to produce anything near that level of performance today consistently would make him a huge asset indeed.

All the best guys, I enjoyed it so much today I think I'll be back next week... ;)

Archived