Albion Rovers FC: Season 2016 - 2017

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 16:28, airdrieman said:

You guys must be pretty disappointed losing Steven Boyd. Been your best and most threatening player and tore us apart on Monday. Any chance of bringing someone else in or replacing him?

They've signed Theo Archibald on loan from Celtic, dunno how good he is, he was an unused sub in the 5-1 defeat to us in the Irn Bru cup. He's in the squad for our game tomorrow though, so maybe see him play then.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/7/2017 at 10:31, Vodka Vic said:

Paul Martin is the best manager Rovers had IMO.

Got the club promoted on the lowest budget in the league- produced and built a team of quality and character. To boot he kept the club up the following season with the last kick of the ball. The first post war Rovers team to go up and stay up. Got involved in numerous dust ups with match officials and coaches from opposing clubs- always had plenty of time for the fans. What's not to like.

If, God forbid, Gus went, I'd have Paul Martin back in a minute at Queen's Park.  Always impressed with him, particularly when he was in joint control of the first team briefly, ....bust ups with officials aside!

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

If, God forbid, Gus went, I'd have Paul Martin back in a minute at Queen's Park.  Always impressed with him, particularly when he was in joint control of the first team briefly, ....bust ups with officials aside!

As much as I have a great deal of time for Paul Martin, I'd be straight on the phone to Rovers current assistant manager when Gus gets the Barca job.

2 hours ago, an86 said:

As much as I have a great deal of time for Paul Martin, I'd be straight on the phone to Rovers current assistant manager when Gus gets the Barca job.

I live in the hope that Billy Stark likes life at the Rovers and doesn't want to be in the front line again. So when Darren Young gets a full time job, Billy stays behind to assist the next incumbent.

30 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

I live in the hope that Billy Stark likes life at the Rovers and doesn't want to be in the front line again. So when Darren Young gets a full time job, Billy stays behind to assist the next incumbent.

I find it unlikely that Billy would turn down the chance to manage a massive club. 

• 3 months later...

Well next Saturday sees the end of Darren Young`s three season tenure as manager of Rovers. Any ideas who will follow him into the `hot` seat given that Rovers will have probably the smallest playing budget in the League and season`s end may see an exodus of all out of contract players ?

1 hour ago, The Pastmaster said:

Well next Saturday sees the end of Darren Young`s three season tenure as manager of Rovers. Any ideas who will follow him into the `hot` seat given that Rovers will have probably the smallest playing budget in the League and season`s end may see an exodus of all out of contract players ?

Mark Wilson 

Brian Kerr

Brian Kerr appointed manager to succeed Darren Young. During his career, Kerr played as a  midfielder for Newcastle United, Coventry City, Livingston, Motherwell, Hibs, Inverness CT, Dundee and Arbroath. Kerr represented Scotland at senior international level, earning three  caps during Beri Vogts' reign as national team manager.

He was in charge of Rovers Development squad last season

Craig Malcolm linked with you guys and Wallace to us.
Malcom has been offered a deal with Stranraer. Usual, for this time of year, all hear say.
I love Malky and his work rate is top notch but if Faz plays the same tactics next season he's probably not the answer.
Don't know much about Wallace.

Craig Malcolm nearly signed with us few years ago but Todd Lumsden apparently pulled the plug at the last minute.

Player I really like seems to get linked with us every window

Wallace is a great player however constantly injured dare say we would have been alot higher up the league had he and Ross Stewart stayed fit all season

Craig Malcolm nearly signed with us few years ago but Todd Lumsden apparently pulled the plug at the last minute.

Based in East Kilbride it would be convenient, heard Arbroath have also offered him a deal.
Think he's only got one or two seasons in him.
250 appearances and over 100 goals for Stranraer. Great servant if you forgive his spell up the road. Hoping we still have next season.

11 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:

We've probably missed the best of him. Resigning Ross Stewart should be our priority. Far better than Mark McGuigan.

2 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

He has both st mirren and Kilmarnock chasing him. St mirren were coming in with a bid in January but he got injured

Thanks. Don't suppose there's any risk of him considering another year with us to get fit and more game time? Can't imagine he'd see much competitive football at rugby park at least.

17 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Thanks. Don't suppose there's any risk of him considering another year with us to get fit and more game time? Can't imagine he'd see much competitive football at rugby park at least.

Pretty sure Ryan was one if not our top earner, so If he wants to take a wage cut.... would absolutely love him to stay. When he was fit he was was superb. MOTM every week. 

2 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

Sorry - I thought we were talking about Ross Stewart.

ahhh sorry my bad...  agree would love him to stay. If he does move at least we may be due some compo as he is under 23. 

Archived