Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah well as long as no one was called a *** I suppose it's just harmless fun really.

Can't wait for this season to be over, don't want to make the play offs as it will give those in charge enough evidence to make sure the current structure stays in place for another season. 

What players would you keep if we don't go up ? 

What players would you let go?

I would like us to keep, Stewart, McIntosh, Gorman, Conroy, Leitch, fitzpatrick Ryan, Russell, Hutton if possible.

Undecided -McDonald, Brown, Rohan, 

Wouldn't look to keep- Mensing, Boetang, McKay, McGregor.

What players would you like us to sign if available and realistic ?

1 hour ago, Cooper81 said:

I would like us to keep, Leitch, 

Undecided -Brown,  

I know that Brown isn't highly regarded on here, but do you seriously suggest Leitch has done more for us this season than Brown?

I don't mind the idea to keep Fumbleson, but under no circumstances should he be our first choice keeper next season. That would be unthinkable!

Different types of players. Brown could be a very good player if he didn't bottle out of challenges. 

Leitch I believe is a decent centre mid he is a bit lightweight granted but that can be worked on and he does put himself about.

What players would you keep if we don't go up ? 
What players would you let go?
I would like us to keep, Stewart, McIntosh, Gorman, Conroy, Leitch, fitzpatrick Ryan, Russell, Hutton if possible.
Undecided -McDonald, Brown, Rohan, 
Wouldn't look to keep- Mensing, Boetang, McKay, McGregor.
What players would you like us to sign if available and realistic ?

Ferguson Stewart McDonald McIntosh Gorman Conroy Fitzpatrick Ryan and Russell are on 2yr deals.

McKay and McGregor will go back to there respective clubs.

Hutton if released by st mirren would be worth a contract

Would keep leitch.

But let go mensing Brown and boateng

3 minutes ago, carlukediamond said:

Ferguson Stewart McDonald McIntosh Gorman Conroy Fitzpatrick Ryan and Russell are on 2yr deals.

McKay and McGregor will go back to there respective clubs.

Hutton if released by st mirren would be worth a contract

Would keep leitch.

But let go mensing Brown and boateng

Can't make my mind up about Leitch; worry about Brown's physicality tho he has a talent for a pass and shot. Mensing and Boateng -ta ta. Need a back up/real goalie.

Can't make my mind up about Leitch; worry about Brown's physicality tho he has a talent for a pass and shot. Mensing and Boateng -ta ta. Need a back up/real goalie.

Leitch on occasion has been very good but not consistent enough. If Brown could put a challenge in now and again that would possibly sway opinion in his favour but it doesn't seem to be in his nature to put in a tackle. Mensing for all his experience is just average and we could sign better. I think everyone had high hopes for boateng but sadly it just didn't work out.

5 minutes ago, carlukediamond said:

Leitch on occasion has been very good but not consistent enough. If Brown could put a challenge in now and again that would possibly sway opinion in his favour but it doesn't seem to be in his nature to put in a tackle. Mensing for all his experience is just average and we could sign better. I think everyone had high hopes for boateng but sadly it just didn't work out.

I agree as Leitch seems to think he can play as he chooses; throws up his hands when someone else cant recover his poor pass/wanders abut an area without really marking anyone/the occasional good pass/dreadful Red card at Ochilview. Still can't decide.

Interesting question about who we'd keep...

Ferguson  - Hung out to dry a bit this year. Maybe the makings of a good 'keeper in there but certainly not a number 1 at this stage. Even with his awful distribution, I'd have Parry ahead of him any day.

McDonald - I just don't think he's a defender. Much better going forward than defending but probably not good enough with the final ball to be a winger. Reminds me a bit of Jamie Bain, without the diving and the goals.

Gorman - has a little pedigree from the younger days and I guess that's why he was took on. One of our "damaged goods" signings we hope to turn around and sell on for a profit. Aint going to happen. He's been very poor every time I've seen him. His problems seem to stem from a lack of confidence or mental fortitude. Either way I'd not be bothered if we let him go.

Mensing - Boy at the football said to me "he was pish 15 years ago and he's got worse". Enough said. Tattie-bye.

McIntosh - Sometimes gets lost, sometimes plays really well. Raw but probably done enough to outshine the shite that he's played alongside. Keep. 

Boateng - Another damaged goods signing. Another who clearly wont make it. Though I doubt he lacks confidence, just ability. Sadly for him, you don't make it in this game just by being big and black.

Fitzpatrick - would have been glad to see hi go last year. Nothing has changed. Sounds harsh with the injury and all, but let's be truthful, he's not a stand out.

Hutton - Will get released and we'll probably get him. Totally unconvinced. If Fitzpatrick comes back they're the same player. Nah, not for me.

Conroy - Has some ability occasionaly. Has no confidence in himself and that's been the mark of his career. If you go into a fight without believing you can win, then you've lost. Too often a passenger. Squad player for me, only to see if we can eek something out of him.

Brown - There's possibly a player in there - has his coaching sideline outside football and desperate to stay injury free, hence his shiteing every tackle. If we had a decent squad of grafters who could boss the midfield then he's the type of player you'd have as a sub who might be able to change things. First team regular - no way.

Leitch - Passenger. He's been that anonymous I couldn't tell you what he looks like. I'm in the game more often than him. Not good enough.

Stewart - Hmmmm. Languid running style can be off putting but has a decent engine. Prone to mistakes and not sure if he has found his correct position. Again, squad player. Might be knocking at the door but he's nowhere near the any of our better midfield players of the last 5 years. I'd keep him, but I'd still be looking to bring in better.

McKay - Won't be staying, won't be missed. Maybe our style never suited him. I saw flashes, but no more.

McGregor - Unconvincing. Bye.

Russell - So disappointing. His demeanor has been poor. Bad attitude towards refs, diving about all over the shop. Still....has a decent return of goals (overlooking the PK tally). I'd keep him as a squad player. Has experience to pass on. Not a first team regular IMO.

Ryan - 5 year deal. 

Dalziel and Wilson - Taken to the top of the Holehills flats and fired out a canon towards the moon.

Now, some will say I'm overly harsh here. But that's my honest appraisal. That's borne out by how far we are behind the other F/T team in the league. Most of our players wouldn't start for some of the P/T teams. Unfortunately, after last summers turmoil, another similar approach is needed, only this time without the chairman's "mates" pulling the strings.

Not overly harsh at all. We have been appalling all season so how on earth can anyone say that they'd keep most of our team? We'd be in the exact same position next year as we are now if we did.

We aren't a couple of players short of a good team- we are lucky if we have a couple of good players.

Archived