Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

It seems only the irreplaceable are replaceable.....

Indeed!  Well put.

2 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

George Galloway would be astounded by Copper18's indefatigability.

Oh, can we please get them locked away in a cell together somewhere. 

Bold statement time:   Daniel Boateng is far superior to Simon Mensing!!!

A story of our league season I guess,  Boateng came on board for game 2, missed one game after his meltdown v. Stenny.   He was directly replaced by Mensing who's been in the team ever since.

When Bo was replaced by Mensing it was to improve our defensive record.   With Boateng in defence we were losing goals at a rate of 1.74 goals per game over that 19 game spell.   That said, Boateng was visibly unravelling and the league as a whole were targetting the poor fella but that's another story.    The target figure for us should have been 1 goal conceded or less per game average so clearly we still had a long way to go to be acceptable.   When partnered by Gorman our defence, and with Fitzpatrick back in midfield we seemed to be going in the right direction.  Till Boateng's unravelling and sending off against Stenny we'd gone on a great run of 7 wins in 8 league games with that pairing conceding 13 goals in the process.  Not perfect, but definitely improving.   2.6 points per game,  still a hefty 1.6 goals per game conceded though.    

Fitzy's injury has definitely hurt us, the downgrade in form from Fitz to Hutton has been fairly obvious as well (only 6 wins and 2 draws in 17 games Hutton has played).  It's hard to tell if that though is due to the players or to the tactics and form of the management.

Since the vastly more experienced Mensing has arrived there were concerns that at 34years old and a few years removed from Scottish football it was considered whether we'd be able to tighten up our shaky defence.    IT'S BEEN FAR WORSE.   So far in 12 league games with Mensing we've conceded a whopping 27 goals.  That's 2.25 goals per game against when Mensing has played.   Even with 3 clean sheets in the last 3 games,  Mensing's goals conceded total won't be lower than Boateng's!    We're winning half a point per game less with Mensing instead of Boateng too.   It's a small sample size but things have improved slightly since going 3 at the back but nowhere near where we should be.

Moral of the story... MENSING is so bad he makes Boateng seem decent by comparison.

On 17/04/2017 at 23:18, Cooper81 said:

If Ryan was to leave what kind of fee should we look for ?

It would be exceptionally difficult to replace Ryan.

£1m + their best centre half and for them to pay Johnny Martin's goalkeeping coach wages

1 hour ago, Airdrie♢Diamond said:

I thought Boateng's second yellow in the Stenny game was a bit harsh.

But I totally think he should return to the fold. Mensing has had a fair chance now and it hasn't worked.

I wasn't being nice to Boateng earlier tbh, cruelly used him as a stick to beat Mensing with. 

I saw Boateng play CDM for the 20s last week and he was just awful.   Gave away a cheap penalty,  constantly misjudged challenges and was a danger to other players. He did score a fortuitous tap in from a corner.

Someone needs to put the poor guy out of his misery and tell him he'll never be a footballer.    Having watched a lot of levels of Scottish fitba this year I'd think he's thrive at league 1 or 2 of the juniors at best.

But I'd suggest that's Hugo Mensing's level too.   Walking football for him.

See to be perfectly honest all this crap about our defence is getting boring now. It's been well documented that our back four isn't great. We have tried various permutations on occasion it's worked on occasion it hasn't. And what I mean it's worked we've conceded one less goal than the previous week. There's not one of our central defenders any better than the other. Let's just hope whoever plays between now and the rest of the season doesn't mess up to bad and we can score one more than we concede.

Lets face it despite some of our fans protestations that we have decent players......we really don't.

Comfortably the worst F/T team in Scotland.

One of the worst defences in the UK.

Amateur teams breathing down our neck.

Attendances dropping as the football gets worse.

There are no positives(Apart from Ryan). And I hate to say, there is no manager in the world that could make a leather purse from this sow's ear.

This will be the most underperforming F/T team in history. 

Anyone who attends a "POTY" should be immediately ejected from a Lancaster bomber from 30,000ft onto a bed of broken buckie bottles and jaggy nettles. A hex upon you happy clapping c***s. A hex.

Lets face it despite some of our fans protestations that we have decent players......we really don't.

Comfortably the worst F/T team in Scotland.

One of the worst defences in the UK.

Amateur teams breathing down our neck.

Attendances dropping as the football gets worse.

There are no positives(Apart from Ryan). And I hate to say, there is no manager in the world that could make a leather purse from this sow's ear.

This will be the most underperforming F/T team in history. 

Anyone who attends a "POTY" should be immediately ejected from a Lancaster bomber from 30,000ft onto a bed of broken buckie bottles and jaggy nettles. A hex upon you happy clapping c***s. A hex.

POTY - you must be joking. Cancel the damn thing and donate the ticket money to the sensory room.

But I agree - there will always be a brigade willing to put up whatever s***e they're fed because quite frankly being pals and on the right side of the club is more important. As long as that happens the rest of us will continue to dwindle away because no one is listening.

18 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

POTY - you must be joking. Cancel the damn think and donate the ticket money to the sensory room.

But I agree - there will always be a brigade willing to put up whatever s***e they're fed because quite frankly being pals and on the right side of the club is more important. As long as that happens the rest of us will continue to dwindle away because no one is listening.

Pity the POTY thing is a top fundraiser for the Trust.  Wouldnt give an award out this year.

I have tried to remain hopeful against the evidence of my own eyes but yesterday was as depressing as anything this season. A big game but no atmosphere. Alloa strolled around going through the motions and all we could do was run around like headless chickens chasing shadows in the first half. Maybe on the balance of play we might have got a draw eventually but what does it matter? Promotion with this lot and the present management team would be an embarrassment. Is it too much to hope that TW is getting a new manager in place for an overhaul next season?

Archived