Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Fair enough on Conroy, he is actually ok, not the league's best but light years ahead of the rest for us. Russell and Brown though? Waste of a shirt. I just don't get the people who back Brown. He has no heart, no fight, he is the epitome of the lazy modern footballer. I'm not saying he can't play, I'm saying he's a luxury and a passenger which is something we don't need. Russell is our captain and most experienced player and he's a complete immature passenger also, needless bookings, questionable workrate etc

It's a balancing act though, you can't have 11 players who try hard but have no ability, equally you can't have 11 players who can play but don't want to get stuck in. Brown is one of the very few players we have who has the ability to create or score out of nothing, so has to play, we'd be far worse if not for him this season.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It's a balancing act though, you can't have 11 players who try hard but have no ability, equally you can't have 11 players who can play but don't want to get stuck in. Brown is one of the very few players we have who has the ability to create or score out of nothing, so has to play, we'd be far worse if not for him this season.

If you remember the Doddieism:  "If you've got skill, you've got skill.   If you've got skill and effort, you've got a player".

Brown has a lot of technique and can strike a ball but he pulls out of challenges,  won't go by a man, doesn't track runners, etc.   

DBM brings back memories of a REAL Manager oor Doddie

Our current lot have their great sayings too 'we are working on it' 'Oh yes! we are working on it' ' We are still working on it' etc

Don't put all the blame on the players! would you be at your best managed by these muppets?

I don't think so...................................................................................

I wonder how our current team would cope with MacDonald's man marking system. They'd probably end up trying to cover each other instead! 

Happy memories. I remember the day at Fir Park when Davie Cooper was so fed up with Sandy Stewart's presence over 85 minutes that he turned and kicked him. He then waved to the ref and ran off the park without waiting for the inevitable red card!

Doddie was a visionary and very much misunderstood or under rated.   He knew that football was a game of 1v1s and 2v2s all over the park and he organised his team to suit that philosophy.  His tactics were simple and very common sense.

The "Beastie Boys" period was hilarious.   I remember at the point of crescendo we'd had 16 players sent off (many for retaliation) but our opponents had 23!!!

10 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Can I quickly check was this your formation for Saturday? Just doing my starting animation just now.

Ferguson

McIntosh Mensing McGregor

Stewart      Hutton    MacDonald     Brown

Leitch

Russell Ryan

I would have said it was a straight 4-4-2 with MacDonald at LB and Leitch in midfield four. It worked ok in first half after losing 2 goals but Alloa stopped it in 2nd half.

4 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I would have said it was a straight 4-4-2 with MacDonald at LB and Leitch in midfield four. It worked ok in first half after losing 2 goals but Alloa stopped it in 2nd half.

You're right just been watching it back. Thanks.

51 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

You're right just been watching it back. Thanks.

I think you play East Fife tomorrow? Hope it is a home win so we can stay third! They have the best form of the teams ( and defence) over the last ten games so it will be a well matched game. Did Barry Smith not manage you recently?

Just now, Chapelhall chap said:

I think you play East Fife tomorrow? Hope it is a home win so we can stay third! They have the best form of the teams ( and defence) over the last ten games so it will be a well matched game. Did Barry Smith not manage you recently?

Aye he's a nice guy. Didn't have much luck improving us in the championship though and resigned after a year. I would say the game has draw written all over it. I called it at the start of the season that they would finish in the play-offs so I'm surprised they haven't been up challenging all along.

35 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

It really is shite being an Airdrie supporter.

At this point last season we had 34 points from 25 games. This season 36 points from 25 games. Negative goal difference both seasons. We took 15 points from next 11 games and finished 5th yet again. I honestly wonder if we can manage to get another 15 points this season or even reduce our negative gd. Watched the highlights(!) and Hutton lost McKeown initially and McGregor let Graham peal away, so training clearly works! Still think the whole defence is responsible whilst last year we struggled to score, the defence was a bit more solid. Without our goal scorers this season we'd be in real bother. As for the manager's usual "we're working on it training" spin, I should maybe not bother listening to him.  

At this point last season we had 34 points from 25 games. This season 36 points from 25 games. Negative goal difference both seasons. We took 15 points from next 11 games and finished 5th yet again. I honestly wonder if we can manage to get another 15 points this season or even reduce our negative gd. Watched the highlights(!) and Hutton lost McKeown initially and McGregor let Graham peal away, so training clearly works! Still think the whole defence is responsible whilst last year we struggled to score, the defence was a bit more solid. Without our goal scorers this season we'd be in real bother. As for the manager's usual "we're working on it training" spin, I should maybe not bother listening to him.  

Without checking (so this may be nonsense) but I feel like we were rarely beaten "comfortably" in the last couple of seasons.

This season it's either a tight game, where we either draw or sneak a win, or we are well and truly bodied (a la Stenny, Livi, Rovers etc.)

We played some real rubbish last year as well. Lost 4-0 at Stranraer. We also had some overly defensive set-ups. I remember losing 1-0 at home to Ayr when notwithstanding the score we played with only Lister up front and nobody else crossing the half way line. I had rarely been so depressed at my team.

The difference this year I suppose is that going full time we expected better. I believe that we might have got it if management issues had been handled competently.

23 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Without checking (so this may be nonsense) but I feel like we were rarely beaten "comfortably" in the last couple of seasons.

This season it's either a tight game, where we either draw or sneak a win, or we are well and truly bodied (a la Stenny, Livi, Rovers etc.)

We had some really dour spells under Bollan.   Remember back to back horsings from Dungfermline and A*r last season where we didn't look like scoring and just indulging in pure hoofball.

I don't care what anyone else says, we were just as shit with Dizzy and Dosey from open play, credit to those 2 donkeys though, they were certainly better at defending set pieces though, tbf, had a better goalie coming for crosses behind them.

Half the goals we've lost this season have been utterly preventable by a merely competent team and coach.

There lies all of our problems.

Just imagine if we had the equivalent of a Cammy McDonald/Lamie,  Buchanan/Stefan,  Gasparotto/Lindsay (BRE),  McManus/McGowan centrehalf  pairing of recent years?     We'd certainly be challenging.

McGregor looks not bad tbf, Mensing has experience but has the mobility of an arthritic carthorse.    Not ideal but if we could tighten up the rest of the team we could actually do ok if we build around them.

We need to immediately sort out our set piece organisation and get everyone briefed on their defensive duties.

We do not defend the left side of our defence well.   I said last week that Gorman should be left back if we're goimg 442 (which unfortunately we're stuck with under dinosaur Dalziel).  McDonald and Stewart could be the wide mids.  

A 442 of Rohan; McIntosh, McGregor, Mensing, Gorman; Stewart, Hutton, Conroy, McDonald; Russell and Ryan would be pretty compact, enough height for defending set pieces and certainly capable of scoring.

They just need organised and motivated.

Archived