Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

No chance they'll be bumped, even if they lose every game from now til the end. As others have said it would be like TW admitting the mistakes. If they're going to go down the director of football route next year again, surely it should be someone with at least half a clue and turning up to games, not a has been charlatan dinosaur off the radio.
The plus side is, their contracts are up in may, so at least the option to start a fresh (again) is there.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plus side is, their contracts are up in may, so at least the option to start a fresh (again) is there.

This continual mass change of personnel each season is what's contributing massively to the fall in attendances we see year on year. Over the last 10 years- how many players have came and hung around long enough that anyone could have any affinity towards them or identify with? Lister, Prunty? Struggling to think of many more (won't include Bain as he was a pussy).

To get fans at games they need to feel an emotional attachment with those around them (increasingly difficult personally with some of the rockets that support us) and they need to feel an attachment to what is on the pitch.

You can not build an attachment to what is on the pitch when it is just a series of individuals passing through to pick up a wage for a season. None of them have any loyalty or affinity for airdrie because they ain't here long enough to have one- so how are fans supposed to have loyalty or affinity in return? They can't have- you can't manufacture it, it needs time to develop.

So we end up in a situation where folk are apathetic and don't go to games and our circle of decline is perpetuated.

5 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

This continual mass change of personnel each season is what's contributing massively to the fall in attendances we see year on year. Over the last 10 years- how many players have came and hung around long enough that anyone could have any affinity towards them or identify with? Lister, Prunty? Struggling to think of many more (won't include Bain as he was a pussy).

To get fans at games they need to feel an emotional attachment with those around them (increasingly difficult personally with some of the rockets that support us) and they need to feel an attachment to what is on the pitch.

You can not build an attachment to what is on the pitch when it is just a series of individuals passing through to pick up a wage for a season. None of them have any loyalty or affinity for airdrie because they ain't here long enough to have one- so how are fans supposed to have loyalty or affinity in return? They can't have- you can't manufacture it, it needs time to develop.

So we end up in a situation where folk are apathetic and don't go to games and our circle of decline is perpetuated.

Whilst I broadly agree with your point....I don't think there's anyone, Andy Ryan excepted, that I'd be desperate to keep.

I think that apart from Ryan there are a few good players worth keeping. At the start of the season we looked like a good  attacking team which was held back by a bad defence. Thinks have disintegrated since then because of the management goings on. When this happens players (particularly young ones) lose confidence and instead of playing nice football a lot of the players treat the ball like a hot potato. I am concerned that we might slip back into the relegation fight but as I have posted elsewhere I don't think we'll get rid of the management team this season. Depressing times.

Next weeks match is now a massive game for us. If we lose Stranraer will only be 4 points behind us. At the moment there's more chance of us getting dragged into a battle to avoid the relegation play off. They way we are playing there is no chance of a top 4 finish. 

I don't have any faith in the current management duo turning things around. This season has been an absolute disaster and results have been terrible apart from our winning run back in the autumn. I think we all knew before the season started that there would be some bad results due to our young squad but we would have expected to have seen improvement as the season progressed. We haven't improved at all since Wilson came in and have probably went backwards. As some have said TW probably won't sack Wilson or Dalziel but for me something has to change before we get dragged into a relegation battle.

5 minutes ago, waysider said:

I think that apart from Ryan there are a few good players worth keeping. At the start of the season we looked like a good  attacking team which was held by a bad defence. Thinks have disintegrated since then because of the management goings on. When this happens players (particularly young ones) lose confidence and instead of playing nice football a lot of the players treat the ball like a hot potato. I am concerned that we might slip back into the relegation fight but as I have posted elsewhere I don't think we'll get rid of the management team this season. Depressing times.

Don't really recognise this. In fact it's more of a revision of history than anything else. At the start of the season, before September was out, we'd been beaten by Brechin and Rovers and smashed by Livvy. 

There was a brief point under McBride and at the start of Wilson's tenure when we looked good in patches. Ultimately though, we've never looked a class above anyone in this league, which you'd think we would be when we're full time. Our much lauded midfielders, who many people think are good footballers, have failed to control pretty much any game I've watched this season. If it wasn't for Andy Ryan we'd be in serious relegation trouble, and that's no exaggeration. As it stands we're only 7 points clear of a relegation play off with no idea where the next point is coming from.

If there are players apart from Ryan you'd like to keep I'd love to hear their names. 

I'd also keep no one except Ryan, although I suspect he won't be here longer than he needs to be. It's a terrible mess and our league position is a complete false indication of the standard we are at currently.

Edit to add: I can't be the only one who'd rather be at the top end of the part time food chain than the utter Bo/Adam Brown end of the full time food chain.

27 minutes ago, Hugh Jarss said:

. I think we all knew before the season started that there would be some bad results due to our young squad but we would have expected to have seen improvement as the season progressed. 

Again, this "young squad" line is a misnomer. Stenny and Livvy have squads equally as young as ours. QP have a younger sqaud. 

It's about the quality rather than the age. Livvy have it. For their budget QP do too.

Us and Stenny don't.

I'd also keep no one except Ryan, although I suspect he won't be here longer than he needs to be. It's a terrible mess and our league position is a complete false indication of the standard we are at currently.
Edit to add: I can't be the only one who'd rather be at the top end of the part time food chain than the utter Bo/Adam Brown end of the full time food chain.

I have to disagree there Conroy is the best centre mid in the league by far,Adam brown is the best Technical player we've got and Iain Russell plays well when you play him in his position not shunted out wide for some on loan c**t

5 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Or you can have a scouting system that isn't limited to Scotland. It is what you make of it.

2 minutes ago, Redandwhitearmy78 said:

I have to disagree there Conroy is the best centre mid in the league by far,Adam brown is the best Technical player we've got and Iain Russell plays well when you play him in his position not shunted out wide for some on loan c**t

On the booze early today, aye?

5 minutes ago, Redandwhitearmy78 said:

Fair enough on Conroy, he is actually ok, not the league's best but light years ahead of the rest for us. Russell and Brown though? Waste of a shirt. I just don't get the people who back Brown. He has no heart, no fight, he is the epitome of the lazy modern footballer. I'm not saying he can't play, I'm saying he's a luxury and a passenger which is something we don't need. Russell is our captain and most experienced player and he's a complete immature passenger also, needless bookings, questionable workrate etc

Fair enough on Conroy, he is actually ok, not the league's best but light years ahead of the rest for us. Russell and Brown though? Waste of a shirt. I just don't get the people who back Brown. He has no heart, no fight, he is the epitome of the lazy modern footballer. I'm not saying he can't play, I'm saying he's a luxury and a passenger which is something we don't need. Russell is our captain and most experienced player and he's a complete immature passenger also, needless bookings, questionable workrate etc

You don't like brown because he won't fly into a tackle there's a big difference between heart and getting stuck in

3 minutes ago, Redandwhitearmy78 said:

You don't like brown because he won't fly into a tackle there's a big difference between heart and getting stuck in

No it's not to do with tackling (although he is a complete shitebag in that respect). I don't expect him to be Evan Balfour. I expect some kind of effort. Any kind of effort. He floats in and out (more out than in) of games. He pings the odd nice ball, the odd assist or nice long range goal and contributes almost nothing else. There's nothing to him. The vast majority of the time he's an empty jersey.

I'm in a minority and will get slated but I'm entitled to my opinion. I'd keep Ryan, Russell, Brown, Conroy, Leitch, Stewart and McIntosh. Possibly Mac Donald if he could learn to tackle. Between them Ryan, Russell and Brown have scored 39 goals this season which is exceptional. Russell may have scored a lot of penalties but he would have scored even more goals is he wasn't played constantly out of position. Brown has scored 8 with about 10 assists and is the best passer of a ball in the team. Sure he craps out of tackles but why can't folk see the good points in his game? Conroy is excellent, Leitch good in patches and worth persevering with. McIntosh and Stewart are promising.

Out of step with most people I know, but I'm entitled to my view. One thing I do agree with everyone is that we won't get anywhere until we get rid of Dalziel.

A lot are on 2 year contracts and are unlikely to be going anywhere. (Russell, Ryan, Fitzpatrick, Conroy, MacDonald, McIntosh & Ferguson)

A bigger issue has been the signings of the likes of Daly, Schmidt, Boateng and add the loan signings Scullion, Hutton & McKay who haven't really contributed much.

Archived