Stirling Albion Thread

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

Another honest interview by Mackay, well done dafcburty, good work and an interesting read. Interesting to read where he felt he went wrong last season, it's not often you hear that from managers.

It's also interesting to see that he only intends to sign another 3 players before the season starts. Assuming 1 of those is a keeper (as per a recent Stirling Observer interview) that means only 2 outfield players will be brought in, one of which is sure to be a Right Back.

Thanks, appreciate the compliments. 

I conducted this interview last week, before Mackay went over to Poland but I don't think there's been any more signings since Peter MacDonald so if that's the case, then the quote of three more players is accurate. 

I was very impressed with Mackay, he came across very well when I spoke to him and I suspect he will have a great managerial career if he continues developing as he has done so far. 

All the best for the season. I'll post any further Stitling articles on here as and when they become available. 

32 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

Surely a Centre Back and a Centre Midfielder and a winger needed.

He has been saying for a while that we're looking to sign a keeper, a right back and a winger, so 1 out of 3 in your wish list Jake. He does though suggest in the interview that he'd be open to bringing in a couple of quality loans, so we'll see where they might fit in.

Just now, dafcburty said:

Thanks, appreciate the compliments. 

I conducted this interview last week, before Mackay went over to Poland but I don't think there's been any more signings since Peter MacDonald so if that's the case, then the quote of three more players is accurate. 

I was very impressed with Mackay, he came across very well when I spoke to him and I suspect he will have a great managerial career if he continues developing as he has done so far. 

All the best for the season. I'll post any further Stitling articles on here as and when they become available. 

Cheers, very much appreciated. Liked both this one and the Andy Little interview. They gave more insight than you usually get.

He has been saying for a while that we're looking to sign a keeper, a right back and a winger, so 1 out of 3 in your wish list Jake. He does though suggest in the interview that he'd be open to bringing in a couple of quality loans, so we'll see where they might fit in.

Never meant to say Centre Back, meant to say Right back.

Cammy Binnie will obviously be our first choice keeper, so I imagine the new keeper will be someone to give him a bit of a challenge.

18 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

Never meant to say Centre Back, meant to say Right back.

Cammy Binnie will obviously be our first choice keeper, so I imagine the new keeper will be someone to give him a bit of a challenge.

Personally think we need another 4 players at least to give us a squad of 18. Maybe a couple of loan signing coming in as well depending on how things pan out. The 4 positions I would be looking to fill would be right back, Centre back as at least cover should Ross Smith or Ross MaGeachie get injured, maybe a couple of wingers for width. 

Agree with Dave MacKays comments re not getting in the playoffs would be failure, an honest assessment of how things turned out last season. Think the coming season will be a lot more difficult than last season, don't see much between the teams expect Peterhead, Stenny, Montrose and ourselves to fight it out for the title. 

Think the coming season will be a lot more difficult than last season, don't see much between the teams expect Peterhead, Stenny, Montrose and ourselves to fight it out for the title. 

Can see most teams being in a title/play off fight, apart from Berwick, Edinburgh City & Cowden.

2 hours ago, rhliston said:

Personally think we need another 4 players at least to give us a squad of 18. Maybe a couple of loan signing coming in as well depending on how things pan out. The 4 positions I would be looking to fill would be right back, Centre back as at least cover should Ross Smith or Ross MaGeachie get injured, maybe a couple of wingers for width. 

Agree with Dave MacKays comments re not getting in the playoffs would be failure, an honest assessment of how things turned out last season. Think the coming season will be a lot more difficult than last season, don't see much between the teams expect Peterhead, Stenny, Montrose and ourselves to fight it out for the title. 

Scott Davidson has signed up for next season, giving us 3 recognised central defenders. Wouldn't mind anther one, but seems unlikely given the squad size we're apparently running with. I believe Steve Noble has also played centre back in his time.

I would have liked us to sign Ewan McNeill from Clyde, mostly because he's a decent player, but he's also able to play anywhere across the back 4. 

Hardly earth shattering stuff from Mackay.

Earth shattering no, but very steady I would say. Looking through the squad he has retained well and has signed players who have a good reputation at this level. Will we push for the title? I'm not to sure and it's far to early to say who will win the league with any real certainty, but you're right, anything less than a Play Off place is failure for Mackay, but I think there are probably 10 teams going into the season with this mentality.

Hardly earth shattering stuff from Mackay. Obviously anything less than the play offs for Stirling is a failure as they have a decent team assembled.

It's the same generic pish managers come out with. I'm sure Coughlin said anything less than playoffs is a failure. Shows how irrelevant it is.

It's the same generic pish managers come out with. I'm sure Coughlin said anything less than playoffs is a failure. Shows how irrelevant it is.

I'm fairly certain Berwick will be competing for a playoff spot, not at the business end of the table though.

Ive always meant to go to scribblers picnic but never seemed to get round to it. Any reason why they changed it from the rugby club?

Honestly couldn't recommend it high enough, the bands that I heard were really good and wide ranging in music types.

The rugby club withdrew the use of the facilities because their pitch was being destroyed apparently.

Drawn at home to Montrose in the Mockery Cup

Oh how wonderful, just can't wait for this game, fancy our chances to making it to the second round and a draw to somewhere we haven't played before i.e. Wales, Northern Ireland or the Republic.