Montrose manager Paul Hegarty declared to the Montrose Review last week that fans should be "proud" of their efforts this season:

“We were in the situation last year and I’ve said on many occasions, people from Arbroath, Brechin and Forfar came to support us in that game.

“I think we’re quite unique in this area. We have four clubs in this area who are vying for the bragging rights, but when push comes to shove everyone else wants to see them doing okay.

“There is camaraderie there and it’s unique. I definitely see it. Even when I played at Dundee United, you were very welcome at the Angus clubs.

“It doesn’t happen too often in the football world and we should be happy and proud of the group of clubs we’ve got.â€

But should this be extended? Are the Angus clubs the underappreciated heroes that Scottish football should really be thanking? Does Scottish Football need a strong Angus?

Let's analyse their performance this season and I'm sure you join me in BEAMING with pride. For the sake of fairness, lets use the five clubs Hegarty mentions.

Dundee United - 12th

Brechin City - 7th

Forfar Athletic - 10th

Montrose - 8th

Arbroath - 9th

That gives an average of 9.2, being generous we'll round it to an average of a 9th placed finish.

Well done, Angus. You're simply the best.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Montrose manager Paul Hegarty declared to the Montrose Review last week that fans should be "proud" of their efforts this season:

But should this be extended? Are the Angus clubs the underappreciated heroes that Scottish football should really be anking? Does Scottish Football need a strong Angus?

Let's analyse their performance this season and I'm sure you join me in BEAMING with pride. For the sake of fairness, lets use the five clubs Hegarty mentions.

Dundee United - 12th

Brechin City - 7th

Forfar Athletic - 10th

Montrose - 8th

Arbroath - 9th

That gives an average of 9.2, being generous we'll round it to an average of a 9th placed finish.

Scottish football needs a good anking.

post-31698-0-47431300-1462141318.jpg

Does Scottish football need a strong Northumberland?

You'll be pleased to know I've done the calculations and it seems that clubs from Northumberland average a 6th placed finish this season. It does appear that those pesky Northumberland clubs are stealing the limelight from Angus.

It's clear Northumberland is hogging the success and there is little wonder Scotland won't be attending Euro 2016 this Summer. Indeed I think we need a petition to boot them pesky Northumberlanders out.

Pairing Scotland's international disappointment with the utterly incredible performance of Northumberland-based sides in comparision with those from Angus this season, I think it's clear the answer to your question is no. If anything, the presence of Northumberland appears to be halting the conveyor belt of national talents to bolster Scotland's international hopes.

To prove this, I have been in the lab again. Imagining a 9 team league to account for no presence of Northumberland sides, the Angus average postition would already be boosted to an incredible 8.8! Imagine that. It leaves you...

BEAMING

WITH PRIDE

With 3 of Angus' 4 clubs set to be in the same division next season, surely there's never been a better time for the much-vaunted Angus Amalgam to happen? Monbroathfarchin has a certain ring to it. Dick Campbell as manager, of course.

If this were to happen, I think I'd eclipse the stage where I'd BEAM with pride, and potentially even EXPLODE with pride.

As a man of huge Monbrofarchin experience, I agree Dick is the man to take them on. I believe that Forfar would have the largest capacity and thus its suitability for hosting such large volumes of the Monbrofarchin Beamers will surely make it the home of the Angus merger club? This would also allow Montrose fans to calm their nerves with by injecting bridies directly into their veins, rather than battering their children as they currently face doing at Links Park.

given the fact that the Northumberland team finished highest in their respected division than any Angus team, I'd say yes.

Newcastle & Sunderland ( Tyne & Wear I know) but basically still Northumberland & look at the nick o them,fighting relegation !

Angus - I just think o Aberdeen Angus burgers.

Forfar - the Plough -great pub

Arbroath - Tutties Neuk - brand new boozer

Berwick - Leaping Salmon - good too.

And i'very just lost the plot wi this thread.

Sorry i'm pished

But should this be extended? Are the Angus clubs the underappreciated heroes that Scottish football should really be thanking? Does Scottish Football need a strong Angus?

Dundee United - 12th

Brechin City - 7th

Forfar Athletic - 10th

Montrose - 8th

Arbroath - 9th

Conveniently misses out Dundee!

Dundee United - 12th

Brechin City - 7th

Forfar Athletic - 10th

Montrose - 8th

Arbroath - 9th

Obsessed

Conveniently misses out Dundee!

I once mentioned Dundee and Dundee United in the context of Angus clubs, only to be informed Dundee isn't in Angus.

I once mentioned Dundee and Dundee United in the context of Angus clubs, only to be informed Dundee isn't in Angus.

Correct.

Angus ends at Monifieth, although Monifieth is classed as Dundee East in UK elections and Angus South in Scottish elections.

Archived