The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

Looks likely that Wimbldon are signing ex-buddie, Sean Kelly. I've read the thread on Black & White Army but wondered what the SM fans on here reckon? 

I'm not sure if he will cut it at L1 level but there again AFCW have just been promoted so not sure what to expect at that level either. What's his best position, Left sided central defender, left side midfield or traditional left back? I'm thinking that he might be brought in as cover due to his versatility. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really wanted him to succeed, but I just don't think he's good enough. Him and Naismith both have limited ability (imho) but Naismith is an athlete, and can bomb up and down the line all day long. Kelly doesnt have that unfortunately. I really do wish him the best, I go to Wimbledon's games occasionally so will def go and see how he's getting on. I hope he proves me wrong!

I rated Kelly. In the few times he played as a central defender he was excellent. Last season he had not played for a while and was brought in for cover in that position and was MoM but wasn't picked the following week! We played him as an attacking left back where he was excellent at the attacking bit but not so good defensively. However he rarely had anyone in front of him covering for him when he went forward from the pool of rubbish that we had as a squad under Murray. The lad was left out to dry time and again. Would have made a good left sided midfielder in my opinion. He is big and strong and at his age will improve physically. I reckon he will do ok down there. Wish we still had him though.

I rated Kelly. In the few times he played as a central defender he was excellent. Last season he had not played for a while and was brought in for cover in that position and was MoM but wasn't picked the following week! We played him as an attacking left back where he was excellent at the attacking bit but not so good defensively. However he rarely had anyone in front of him covering for him when he went forward from the pool of rubbish that we had as a squad under Murray. The lad was left out to dry time and again. Would have made a good left sided midfielder in my opinion. He is big and strong and at his age will improve physically. I reckon he will do ok down there. Wish we still had him though.

I never particularly rated him, the few goals he chipped in disguised how poor he generally was. Not a left back nor a left mid.

I wouldn't describe Kelly as big or strong either. For his height, he appeared to make him self as small as possible. If anything he lacked the athleticism to make him look decent. Definietly lacked fitness and was easily bullied by players.

His main failing was his positioning just never improved throughout his time with us, albeit he has played I'm some horrid teams and with inept managers.

I'm rather surprised he's got a move down south, it'll be interesting to see how he gets on. Maybe a different regime will see him improve.

I think St Mirren have a really handy squad for the Championship this year and could surprise a few folk. Experienced spine to the team supplemented by potential match-winners like Mallan and Hardie.

Has Rae brought the pitch in?

7 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

I think St Mirren have a really handy squad for the Championship this year and could surprise a few folk. Experienced spine to the team supplemented by potential match-winners like Mallan and Hardie.

Hope not. We got 99 problems, but the pitch... appears to be in good order.

1 hour ago, Armand 2 said:

He wanted to pretty shortly after he arrived but said at a Q&A at the start of the year he was told he couldn't as the pitch would then be too narrow for the Scotland games we host.

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

He wanted to pretty shortly after he arrived but said at a Q&A at the start of the year he was told he couldn't as the pitch would then be too narrow for the Scotland games we host.

So he's gone the alternative route of signing mostly really big players to make the pitch look smaller.

I don't know what's Kelly's best position.

He came into the first team and out performed Danny Grainger at left back. We lost too many goals from crossed into the back posts though and Sean and Naisy are not small in height.

He'd be a decent defensive option for left midfield, he's not got the pace or skill to trouble defenders but he's decent enough on the ball and has a decent engine on him.

I'd have said centre half would be his best position but he'd need a dominating centre half beside him who'd be able to organise the back line, don't think Sean is vocal or physical enough but is very comfortable with the ball at his feet.

I thought Kelly was heading to Partick Thistle? 

He was excellent when he first broke through, but he just didn't progress at the rate he probably should have. I do think he was hung out to dry to avcertain degree by being asked to play at left back. He is clearly a centre half. 

15 hours ago, thepundit said:

9 points from 12 and not even a 2nd place finish. Unlucky.

Did Hardie and Walsh at least play well today?

Walsh looked okay. Scored a very decent goal, Hardie got last 25 mins and had a chance that got cleared off the lime with the keeper beaten. 

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Lewis Morgan signs a new contract keeping him at the club for the next 3 years, superb piece of business. 

That's excellent news!

Had a few good games last season, and has looked as though he has come on loads over the summer.

My only worry is that he'll be a target for the hammer throwers.

He made our pitch as tight as possible to 'hide the lack of ability' amongst the squad when he was in charge of us.

He made our pitch as tight as possible to 'hide the lack of ability' amongst the squad when he was in charge of us.

I'm all for a manager doing whatever it takes to get results, but that seems like a singularly demotivational way to go about it!

Archived