The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

It was always going to happen. Pretty poor deal if it is only £225k

How much can you expect to get for an 18 year old Championship player who has played less than 20 first-team games? That's an excellent transfer fee.

26 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

How much can you expect to get for an 18 year old Championship player who has played less than 20 first-team games? That's an excellent transfer fee.

The rumoured fee going about was 500k so a lot of fans are disappointed.

Shame we won't get to see much of him in a Saints shirt, been hearing for years he is an excellent prospect.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

:lol:

If Aberdeen got an outright 500 for Hayes he'd be off ffs.

I thought Aberdeen have already knocked back 500k :P albeit I don't think it was 500k up front.

Rumours are rumours, a player is only worth what someone is willing to pay for him. We'd be due a fair bit next summer anyway, maybe the club think they can cash in on him now and get lucky with the add-ons. 

It's up to the guys at the top to make the tough decisions, we sold our best asset in January in our last relegation season. The boy will be tough to replace.

£225k is an awful figure if true when considering his ability,  age and importance to us at the moment. Unless there's about a 40% sell on. 

He's certainly a player I'd be confident that if he stays injury free, a sell on would be worth far more than the initial fee. 

23 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

He could sign for anyone in the summer as his contract runs out next Jan, and we would get nowt. Allegedly the deal is worth £400k with add-ons and a percentage sell on clause.

We wouldn't get nowt, but we'd get a lot less than that. 

Board has to be pragmatic and if he is not signing a longer deal, we cannot knock back that amount of money. 

5 minutes ago, Bambino7 said:

That figure should be creeping up, with any luck, to at least include add-ons. Word coming in of rival bids, too. If we get £300k plus a sell-on for him, we've done very well (he's free to sign a PCA in the summer).

On a related note, looks like Mallan could be staying until at least the summer now; Barnsley aren't meeting our valuation and nobody else appears to be in for him. 

29 minutes ago, Bambino7 said:

He only has 12 months left on his contract and not 18. And reports here are £225k up front with add-ons to potentially £400k and a sell-on percentage.

22 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

He only has 12 months left on his contract and not 18. And reports here are £225k up front with add-ons to potentially £400k and a sell-on percentage.

We offered the player a 3 and a half year contract on his 16th birthday (January 2015) which was accepted but the SFA vetoed under rules that say a 16 year old can't sign a contract for more than 3 years.

As a result, it runs from January 2015 to January 2018. We tried to rectify this earlier on in the season by offering him an extension but by then he and his agent had made it clear that they weren't interested in renewing and haven't been since.

In light of that, I'm not really sure what else we can do, really. We risk losing him for peanuts or a development fee (which would be significantly smaller than our dues for other youth players as he's only been here about 4 years) in the summer.

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

We wouldn't get nowt, but we'd get a lot less than that. 

Board has to be pragmatic and if he is not signing a longer deal, we cannot knock back that amount of money. 

Good luck trying to explain that one to the numbnuts on the black and white army site, who seem to think every promising kid is worth a million quid. He's 18 and played 20 odd games and his mind has been made up to go. 

It's good business when you consider our current plight. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I had read he was leaving Dundee United for game time, why would he go to St Mirren and have Sutton and Loy in front of him. 

Presumably as we're in the market for someone who can operate on the wings or up front. If this is true, Smith fits that bill.

Presumably as we're in the market for someone who can operate on the wings or up front. If this is true, Smith fits that bill.

Aye, from what I've seen, Smith can play anywhere in the 'attacking 4', in a 4-2-3-1 which is Ross' preferred system.

8 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Aye, from what I've seen, Smith can play anywhere in the 'attacking 4', in a 4-2-3-1 which is Ross' preferred system.

Fair enough, just frustrating as we need two wide players and a couple of strikers :lol:

Imagine you will be overtaking us relatively soon. 

Archived