The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

Connor Newton has been let go by Cambridge. Imagine our centre mid options being McGinn, Mallan, Magennis, and Newton. :wub:

Did he get an injury at some point? I thought he was a smashing player, but his career seems to have gone nowhere.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baird is a decent young player and he's got all the attributes to be a good defender at this level. He's strong, reasonably quick, and good in the air. His lack of composure is what holds him back, hopefully he'll continue to improve.

You can have Loy. We'll happily take Mallan in return.

K.

Thx.

Bye.

Think you can completely give up on the fantasy of Mallan going to Dundee, should've done so years ago. It would be as much of a waste of time now as it when when you put in that pathetic bid.

I've seen a few St. Mirren fans saying a figure around £200K would be far too low for Mallan, that you should be looking for around £500K, and there were similar complaints when McAllister was sold as well. If you can get more out of them than good on you, but I really don't think those figures are realistic for a Championship club.

I mean, Greg Stewart was one of the players of the season in the Premiership and only went for £500K when he left Dundee. Although Stewart's a few years older, the point stands. When you're operating at this level you're simply not going to make that kind of money on transfer fees unless you're extremely good at creating a bidding war or the buying club are extremely stupid.

It seems we are going down the route of piss poor upfront money with the promise of more to come in add ons and sell on fees. 

Looks like it could come to fruition with John McGinn and I suppose if Mallan does well with Barnsley the sell on fee could be lucrative. 

Hard to escape the initial feeling that it's too low though. During the 90s we sold guys like Lavety and Ricky Gillies for more than that.

Archived