The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

As I said, that was after his injuries.
Before that he was head and shoulders above his brother [Paul] , as evidenced by his transfer to Watford, based on the generally high quality performances for us in the SPL.
Given that Paul McGinn doesn't seem to be getting a game for league 1 Chesterfield, then that would appear to suggest he's a struggling league 1 defender.
Although if he's injured, it will be interesting to see if he can retain his place in the side or ends up back in Scotland.

He was playing regularly until he got injured. I can only assume he's either still injured or just returning from said injury.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

He was completely anonymous and couldn't lace Paul's boots whilst at Dens. Paul McGinn was turning into one of the best RB's in the country but like the three of them - he valued money more than career progression which is fair enough.

Bit harsh on Paul I think. He was offered a deal at St. Mirren but refused it and came part time with us in order to play every week. I'm not convinced his transfer from you was only driven by money, maybe he fancied playing English football to have that experience under his belt? His actions early in his career don't suggest he only values money, maybe he made the wrong decision this time but I don't think its based on money.

11 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Guys Tom Walsh worth a punt?

Divided opinion somewhat. The fact he could not get a start in a team at the bottom of the League and 7 points adrift kind of sums up his usefulness to me. He can show some skill and shooting but lacks workrate and attitude. A bit of a luxury in my opinion for any club.

2 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Divided opinion somewhat. The fact he could not get a start in a team at the bottom of the League and 7 points adrift kind of sums up his usefulness to me. He can show some skill and shooting but lacks workrate and attitude. A bit of a luxury in my opinion for any club.

Given the fact you* have little pace, and (from what I can see) few options going forward I think he'd be a decent addition. Liked him a lot when he was with us, and he seems to have added a cutting edge to his game with a few goals for Sint Murn.

I have heard that $tranraer (Stinlar) are keen however, given their megabucks I wouldn't be shocked to see him there.

*My apologies, I thought you were an Ayr fan. That should of course read "the fact Ayr have little pace"

13 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Clearly? I'd disagree with you there, I don't think staying in the Championship was the best move ignoring the Scottish Cup win which wasn't accounted for at the time of his decision, but fair enough.

Where else could he have gone? He was out of contract but whoever signed him had to pay compensation. Hibs were the only club that came to an agreement with us, so his options were go to Hibs, sign a new deal at Saints or continue to be frozen out of football until someone else came along. Going to Hibs seemed fair enough - although it did amuse me after him claiming there was no way he'd be playing in the Championship as we lurched towards relegation.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Bit harsh on Paul I think. He was offered a deal at St. Mirren but refused it and came part time with us in order to play every week. I'm not convinced his transfer from you was only driven by money, maybe he fancied playing English football to have that experience under his belt? His actions early in his career don't suggest he only values money, maybe he made the wrong decision this time but I don't think its based on money.

Quite a few of our fans moaned about him doing that but I felt it was the right move. At the time, David van Zanten was our established rightback so he was going to be on the bench at best. By dropping down he was going to be playing regularly every week and if he was good enough he'd get a move back to the top flight - and that's exactly what happened.

As it turns out, Vanzy got dropped a couple of months into the season and there was an opening so he may have got a run anyway but it was absolutely the right decision.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He was playing regularly until he got injured. I can only assume he's either still injured or just returning from said injury.

Much like Stephen was for Watford.

14 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Where have I said he's not done well for Hibs and saying that it's not worked out for him or Hibs? When the likes of Jay Fulton, Scott Arfield and Stephen Kingsley (Admittedly a different position) have made appearances in the Prem this season I don't think it's too controversial to say that McGinn could have done better than plump for another side in the Scottish Championship? It's not a slight on Hibs, so I don't know why you lot are so defensive. If anything, it's praising the talents that he has.

Having watched the three players you mention on a regular basis ( & not just picking them out the air to suit my argument) my opinion is that mcginn is better than jay Fulton but nowhere near as good as Kingsley & Arfield...however I would happily enter into a discussion about the merits of say ...Stephen Kingsley...what's his main attributes? I'll doff my cap & let you go first

Having watched the three players you mention on a regular basis ( & not just picking them out the air to suit my argument) my opinion is that mcginn is better than jay Fulton but nowhere near as good as Kingsley & Arfield...however I would happily enter into a discussion about the merits of say ...Stephen Kingsley...what's his main attributes? I'll doff my cap & let you go first

[emoji38]

At least it didn't bother you.

Having seen all 3 players on a semi-regular basis through various differing means I have no wish to try and justify my knowledge on them to a guy that thinks Arfield is better than McGinn.

We have different opinions, you don't need to be mad about it.

I reckon that the downtrodden, losing aura that surrounded the squad has been lifted somewhat with the guys we've shifted moving out and six new faces coming in (and presumably more to come). Most of us wrote today off as a learning experience to get some of the new lads to gel and up to match fit pace. To have won the match and kept a rare clean sheet is a double bonus.

Of course in the grand scheme of things, a cup win means heehaw in terms of survival but it's a timely confidence booster against superior opposition and gives guys like O'Brien and Fjelde a solid start to their tenures here. With Loy and the Demetriou coming in next week as well, we'll hopefully only look stronger.

Losing Mallan and/or McAllister will be a hammer blow but if we replace well (Stephen McGinn for Mallan) and negotiate well (get McAllister back on loan for rest of season) then we can minimise the damage in those areas as well.

1 hour ago, Gert.T.Fock said:

We will stay up as i've been saying all along. Our form has been good since December, bar a couple of blips. The new additions well help us climb to safety.

I agree with the point about our form and particularly with regards to performances. Unfortunately though, the 'blips' haven't so much been blips as they have been complete and utter screaming meltdowns that threaten to unravel any of the good work that's been done since JR took charge.

It's worth bearing in mind that Ayr haven't won since October and we are still 7 points behind them, so we can't get too excited just yet.

Agree with this just need to take it a game at a time. Concentrate on improving week In week out and just see what happens.

1 hour ago, geo87 said:

Anyone know what each round is worth in terms of prize £££? Every little will help regardless of what league were playing in next year!

Not a massive amount. You would have got £9k for playing yesterday and £12k for making the next round I think. Its the gates and potential tv money that make the Scottish Cup valuable. Even being a main highlight game on Sportscene is worth a fair bit.

Archived