The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

8 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I do find it weird how in football management the general rule seems to be that the less experience you have the more desirable you are, the total opposite of every other profession. Don't mean that against Jack Ross, seems a guy who is pretty sharp and 'highly rated', to use an overused, slightly meaningless phrase. I suppose the little experience he does have is of taking charge of a side at the bottom of the league, low on confidence, which helps him slightly. He'll probably be a good appointment if he is given time, just depends whether St Mirren hold their nerve if they are still down there around February/March time.

Well, it depends on the nature of your experience. You're right that some clubs will consistently pick those with little or no experience over experienced managers, but being experienced doesn't make you good.

For example, John Robertson is an experienced manager, but he's shown no signs throughout his career that he's actually learned from  his experience and became a better manager because of it, therefore he doesn't get jobs despite his experience. There's a point that some managers never work again after just one bad job having done well previously when they may have learned from their failure and gone on to be better managers as a result - Alan Kernaghan springs to mind and Ian Murray could find himself in that position - but when you've failed again and again like John Robertson or failed in every step to a higher level like Dick Campbell, your experience shouldn't and doesn't count for anything.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best of luck to Jack. I think he'll do OK, maybe even very well.

Can't see him coming for any of our players except Waters and possibly Flannigan.

Calum been that good? I would've liked to see us take a punt on him permanently, he didn't get a lot of game time with us due to Sparky's form at LB - but I thought he could be a pretty handy winger or wing-back.

He's got an absolute wand of a left foot as well

I (jokingly) suggested Potter a couple of weeks back but if he ends up as assistant it would probably be a good move all round. Potter is clearly a really popular guy with the Pars players so providing Jack Ross is in charge of running the team, Potter would be ideal in the Bez role. 

On 10/3/2016 at 11:11, Coventry Saint said:

f**k knows! In all honesty, I'm not that inspired by any of them.

Ross, I guess, mainly because of how divisive Gus would be.

In order: Ross > Gus > Mixu > Fullarton.

Pleased with Ross as my preferred option from the shortlist, but as I said above, I'm not going to pretend I was overly enamoured with the idea of any of them.

He has a hell of a job on his hands here.

Any Alloa fans reading this - what formation have you been playing? Has he been flexible in his approach?

Of course our lack of motivation, team spirit, defensive organisation and attacking verve all need fixing, too, but it'd be good to know he's not a rigid 4-4-2 merchant :unsure:

Would agree about Rae. Harsh to let him go so soon, but there's been virtually no sign of improvement since the start of the Season. I went to Dunfermline and our defense was an utter shambles. We were only in the game because Dunfermline's backline was so poor.

I can see why he was let go. We persevered with Craig and Murray, and all it did was give less time to the new manager to right the ship. This time we're taking the chance earlier.

Rae had 9 months not six games. Last season the football was dire but points against lower teams kept us up. This season he had a good budget and a chance to completely rebuild the squad. The football has been worse with his non-working 4-4-2 and hoofball tactics with absolutely no sign of change of improvement. Every game was Groundhog Day. McManus has improved things in just 2 games.  Rae was getting us nowhere except relegation.

Why on earth is he taking charge of Alloa on Saturday but being paraded by St. Mirren today, given that Saints are playing Hibs on Saturday? [emoji23]

Are Saints fans happy with this? Are Alloa fans?

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Last season the football was dire but points against lower teams kept us up.

This. Remember it almost became a standing joke last season that we were still utter shite, but picking enough points to get by? 

1 minute ago, H Wragg said:

Why on earth is he taking charge of Alloa on Saturday but being paraded by St. Mirren today, given that Saints are playing Hibs on Saturday? emoji23.png

Are Saints fans happy with this? Are Alloa fans?

Just part of the deal, so Alloa weren't left totally in the lurch, I guess. The fact is, any sane Saints fan is not thinking about any of the cup competitions this season. It's not idea, but it really doesn't bother me, and at least the uncertainty is gone now.

Just part of the deal, so Alloa weren't left totally in the lurch, I guess. The fact is, any sane Saints fan is not thinking about any of the cup competitions this season. It's not idea, but it really doesn't bother me, and at least the uncertainty is gone now.

I take your point regarding cup comps being very low priority this year but are Saints not playing Hibs again in the league in a couple of weeks?

This Sat would be the perfect chance to measure up against them surely?

That said, if both parties are happy then hee haw to do with me I suppose.

Extremely unusual all the same.

Alloa are playing their diddy cup game in Wales on Saturday and did not want to lose their Manager before the game. He is working his notice before joining us and the diddy cup is the least of our worries. No problem with him joining us on Monday.

5 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

I take your point regarding cup comps being very low priority this year but are Saints not playing Hibs again in the league in a couple of weeks?

This Sat would be the perfect chance to measure up against them surely?

That said, if both parties are happy then hee haw to do with me I suppose.

Extremely unusual all the same.

I'm with you. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

This apparently 'meaningless' cup game would give Jack Ross a free week to evaluate the squad against a good opposition and thus prepare him further for when the games get meaningful again and points are available. I'd like to see Saints do well in any competition regardless of it's diddiness. I think given the circumstances allowing Jack Ross to evaluate the team and start to implement his own ideas/ways of working in a competitive environment prior to a league match would have been the perfect scenario.

Jack was under contract with Alloa so they dictate the terms of his release.

Fair enough.

I think it's probably the parading of the new boss before he's done his last game elsewhere that makes this particularly odd.

I know it would probably be very difficult to keep the whole deal under wraps until Sunday but maybe holding off on the press conference until next Monday would have made everything a bit more 'normal'?

Archived