The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Hopefully the rumours of John Potter are true and we see a return of the trademark Potter hoof up the park & headers going out of play despite the defender motioning to head it forward!

There won't be a safe pumpkin in Paisley.

Just now, Capitão said:

Where are you seeing this?

Alloa website. May be part of the compensation deal or something he wanted to do. I'm not fussed about the diddy cup and it's a pretty tough game so not too bothered.

Not as bad as Dunfermline letting Stephen Kenny go off to manage his Irish team in a cup final that was two months after he moved to Scotland!

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Alloa website. May be part of the compensation deal or something he wanted to do. I'm not fussed about the diddy cup and it's a pretty tough game so not too bothered.

Not as bad as Dunfermline letting Stephen Kenny go off to manage his Irish team in a cup final that was two months after he moved to Scotland!

Hmm whilst I agree about the diddy cup it would still have been good to get him in as soon as possible and the fact it is the challenge cup, away to the biggest team in the competition, would have taken the pressure off a little bit for his first game.

If it's part of the compensation agreement fair enough but it is quite strange. Will he not start taking training with us until next week then? I'd hope that isn't the case.

I hadn't heard that about Stephen Kenny before; it's completely bizarre!  :lol:

17 minutes ago, Capitão said:

Hmm whilst I agree about the diddy cup it would still have been good to get him in as soon as possible and the fact it is the challenge cup, away to the biggest team in the competition, would have taken the pressure off a little bit for his first game.

If it's part of the compensation agreement fair enough but it is quite strange. Will he not start taking training with us until next week then? I'd hope that isn't the case.

I hadn't heard that about Stephen Kenny before; it's completely bizarre!  :lol:

I exaggerated a wee bit, it was a few weeks later but still insane!

The way our fixtures have fallen gives Ross a bit of time to get his feet under the table. We'd have been struggling against Hibs and Dundee United if we'd been doing well, then the Morton game is off so he has a fortnight to focus on the crucial game against Dumbarton.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I see Rae has started his usual, 'it was unfair I was sacked shtick'. Farrell will be along shortly or you'll feature in his next book. 623ca65fc9177e49dc9138ad80be2a5a.jpg

Was reading that earlier, have you seen the whole article?

Rae, speaking to Ladbrokes News, said: “Six games into a season is not a particularly long time. I think I was the first guy to be sacked in the whole of the UK and from that point of view it was really disappointing.

“We did a decent job at St Mirren, with the win rate we had it was the most successful in recent times.

Jack Ross inherited a shambles from Danny Lennon. Squad was weak and had no confidence. He got them believing in him and themselves and made them hard to beat. Given the mess he started with, then reaching 20 points (drawing with Rangers twice and beating Hibs) was something of a triumph.

He then very quickly identified who he wanted for the new season and had his squad almost ready by the end of May. That new team has been playing terrific football, full of confidence. Two Premiership scalps in the League Cup and almost took Celtic to extra-time at Parkhead. Ross was able to get the best out of a very limited group last season, then change his tactics totally with a better squad, but also able to make that attacking team into a very organised defensive unit when required. He also communicates very well with fans. I think he should have given us a full season, and given he is a young manager there are bound to be mistakes, but he is very very good. 

I got my  nephew a St Mirren top for his birthday. Just away to set it on fire. 

I saw that claim somewhere else - something like best win rate with us in the last 35 years. He fails to omit for about half that time we were in the SPL/Premiership and he achieved that feat in the Championship.

I don't really see how anyone can have a problem with what Alex Rae has said since leaving St Mirren. 6 games into a season isn't a long time, he wasn't given a chance to turn it around as the board didn't think he was capable of doing so. I think he can count himself slightly unfortunate. The football was pretty turgid and his tactics were questionable (mainly not allowing full backs to contribute past the halfway line) however I personally would've given him the first quarter of fixtures, I think he deserved more time based on the improvement he made when he took over from Ian Murray. Since leaving he has only has good things to say about the club in a time where he could have slated us and revealed all there is to know about St Mirren. 

I'm happy enough with Jack Ross, think I said earlier in the thread he wasn't the answer however after it transpired that John Hughes wasn't interested I don't think there was any other option really. I certainly hope that fans won't be calling for his head after 6 games regardless of form. Here's hoping he turns out to be a great appointment and I'm looking forward to his first match. 

I do find it weird how in football management the general rule seems to be that the less experience you have the more desirable you are, the total opposite of every other profession. Don't mean that against Jack Ross, seems a guy who is pretty sharp and 'highly rated', to use an overused, slightly meaningless phrase. I suppose the little experience he does have is of taking charge of a side at the bottom of the league, low on confidence, which helps him slightly. He'll probably be a good appointment if he is given time, just depends whether St Mirren hold their nerve if they are still down there around February/March time.

Archived