The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

Too hasty a decision in my eyes. 6 games in & 4 managers in 2 years is ridiculous. I can't see the likes of John Hughes considering the job.

St Mirren fans treatment of Rae has been completely shoddy. Imagine the seethe if a new manager comes in and plays 4-4-2.

Might be an idea to give any prospective managers a 1 year deal from now on, might save us a fair amount of money.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If only we could rewind two and a half years and not appoint Tommy Fucking Craig. Fucking snowball effect from one lazy decision, right there. Except the snowball is made of shite.

I still remember the 'huge' list of CVs Gilmour claimed to have on his desk. f**k wasting time reading them!

GIVE IT TO THE SNAKE

I'd be delighted to see St. Mirren having a slight revival over the next couple of games if it was enough to get the snake the job permanently. Given the season to slither around snaking people and generally being a reptile he'd take you down.

11 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Here is Jim Delahunt (yes, I know I thought he died years ago too) comparing Alex Rae to Sir Alex Ferguson. Sensational scenes.

I do feel for Rae, he wasn't at all like I expected when I met him last year. Plenty of time to chat to a bunch of first year journos and a guy that you just felt comfortable talking with. Probably the right decision based on the fact you failed to beat us though. Any St Mirren manager who fails to beat us is sacked fairly swiftly. 

Yes Jim, because St. Mirren obviously sacked Ferguson for not being good enough rather than breach of contract after being tapped up by Aberdeen. Delahunt :lol:

If only we could rewind two and a half years and not appoint Tommy Fucking Craig. Fucking snowball effect from one lazy decision, right there. Except the snowball is made of shite.

I still remember the 'huge' list of CVs Gilmour claimed to have on his desk. f**k wasting time reading them!

Even at that appointing Teale after they realised Craig was a mistake was just as fatal. Ross County and Motherwell were always going to spend in January to avoid relegation though so maybe the board just accepted our fate early.

Ruud Gullit?  :whistle

Going by wasps1's lack of an #itk certainty I'd say it's gonna be Jack Ross. 

Yogi would be a decent shout for this season but things seem to go off the boil into his second season for whatever reasons.

Too soon for Thommohawk? 

9 hours ago, Lex said:

I wouldn't mind Yogi for what it's worth. He will at least be entertaining and you can't argue with the job he done at Falkirk and Inverness.

Doubt he would be interested though. He left ICT cause they weren't matching his ambition or some nonsense and he was on the radio the other week saying he wanted his next job to be in the English Championship (lol).

Assuming he isn't interested, it's got to be Gus.

He left the Falkirk and Inverness sides in a hell of a state.  Falkirk were relegated the season after he left, and Foran is having to do his own rebuilding job after Hughes failed to rebuild Butcher's fantastic side, turning it basically into a squad of central midfielders and right backs.

I'd stay well clear.

2 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Too soon for Thommohawk? 

Doesn't want it, apparently. And nor should he get it. I'm not sure he's management material.

Same goes for Goodwin. If Alloa want to warm Goodwin up for a couple of seasons after Ross leaves, then maybe we'll consider him then.

Honestly, I'll be gutted if we take on another relatively unproven manager (the flip side of which, of course, is wondering who the hell with any sort of track record would actually touch us).

Fake edit: just seen The Scarf's post. Interesting. I'd favoured Hughes, but clubs of our size need structure and succession planning.

It's a test of Gordon Scott's business sense here as well - the logical thing would be to give the new manager until the end of this season. If he makes the mistake of giving a two year deal to a manager he ends up having to sack in the summer then it's a seriously bad start.

14 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

If he makes the mistake of giving a two year deal to a manager he ends up having to sack in the summer then it's a seriously bad start.

Or: absolutely par for the course. :rolleyes:

You're right, though: people have been praising Scott for acting quickly, but it's probably quite easy to sack a guy you didn't appoint. The true test will come, as you say, when you're having to admit the guy you picked is getting it wrong.

He left the Falkirk and Inverness sides in a hell of a state.  Falkirk were relegated the season after he left, and Foran is having to do his own rebuilding job after Hughes failed to rebuild Butcher's fantastic side, turning it basically into a squad of central midfielders and right backs.

I'd stay well clear.

I don't want to be subjected to his great style of football (which was similar to Danny's) and him ramming it down our throat week in week out.

Anyway if the left ICT because the board wouldn't match his ambitions I can't see him dropping down for a relegation scrap in the Championship.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Part of me goes 'uggghhh', part of me actually seriously considers it as viable given he's proven.

That's how desperate it's gotten, I'd probably accept Jimmy Calderwood.

He'd bring stability I think, which you've been lacking recently. Definitely need someone proven, to steady the ship as it were.

Just now, Rugster said:

He'd bring stability I think, which you've been lacking recently. Definitely need someone proven, to steady the ship as it were.

Quite. 

Make no mistake, this is a huge appointment for us and one that Gordon Scott has to get right. The job has gone from one of the most stable in Scotland under Gus and Danny to a never ending merry go round of shite from Tommy Craig onwards. That has to stop and stop now. Calderwood has never been spectacular but been almost always consistently decent. 

Of course the allegations of being a disgusting bully have hampered his managerial opportunites greatly.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Quite. 

Make no mistake, this is a huge appointment for us and one that Gordon Scott has to get right. The job has gone from one of the most stable in Scotland under Gus and Danny to a never ending merry go round of shite from Tommy Craig onwards. That has to stop and stop now. Calderwood has never been spectacular but been almost always consistently decent. 

Of course the allegations of being a disgusting bully have hampered his managerial opportunites greatly.

What about Bobby Williamson? I don't even know where he is these days, last I heard he was in Uganda or somewhere.

3 minutes ago, Rugster said:

What about Bobby Williamson? I don't even know where he is these days, last I heard he was in Uganda or somewhere.

He's still in Africa. Last I heard he was in Botswana or Zimbabwe at club level doing a decent job in the African Champions League. That was about a year ago though.

Just checked - It was Kenya and was 2 years ago. He left his club to manage the national team and then left the Kenya job in February.

Folk were sceptical when McCall was announced as our new manager. However you know what you're getting with him and he's done exactly what he said he would with the club. That's the sort of figure St Mirren need. Is that Jimmy Calderwood? Possibly, a Jack Ross/Ian Murray type of appointment would be silly again. What's Billy Reid upto these days?

Archived