The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

9 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Would that style of play suit the type of players you have signed? I know Sutton is good in the air but mot sure about the rest.

It only suits Sutton if the likes of Morgan and Walsh are flying down the wings, with a decent delivery for him to get on the end of.

Shankland looks like he can link the play better working with Clarkson, but certainly gives us good options to change things if it's not working.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sutton as a ball into the box and attack it type player is good. 

Sutton as a drop deep, win headers and play as a target man type player isn't. That's they he and Mehmet were always decent together. Mehmet dropping deep to allow Sutton more freedom ahead wasn't bad.

Anyway, Hardie is a very good signing. If that's the end of our business then so be it and I'm happy. I genuinely can't see another player coming in but I suppose another midfielder would be nice. 

I don't agree with those losing their shit over our defence. We have two centre halves who have yet to play, one in the shape of Mackenzie who has good pedigree. 

Anybody know what the script is with Gordon & McKenzie? As far as i'm aware Rae has went with Webster & Baird at the back for all the pre-season/cup games so far (correct me if i'm wrong, I haven't checked fully) are we going with Webster & Baird again this season? My understanding was McKenzie at least was a bit of a player.

35 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Think Mckenzie has been injured

Yeah, got injured against Stirling and don't think he's fully fit yet (despite popping up on the bench against Ayr).

Hardie deal isn't quite finished yet going by Rae: "No deal has been done yet but we're hoping to get something sorted soon."

Will be interesting to see if he gives Gordon a run out against Edinburgh, if not I reckon he's going to be warming the bench this season. Seems daft to bring them in and not get a proper look at them before the serious stuff starts, fair enough re McKenzie.

Yeah, got injured against Stirling and don't think he's fully fit yet (despite popping up on the bench against Ayr).

Hardie deal isn't quite finished yet going by Rae: "No deal has been done yet but we're hoping to get something sorted soon."

Surely it must be pretty much done. There's a photo of him with both strips! The only thing I can think of is that they're making it a season long loan, rather than until January.

12 hours ago, Mordecai said:

Surely it must be pretty much done. There's a photo of him with both strips! The only thing I can think of is that they're making it a season long loan, rather than until January.

Just waiting on confirmation from the SPFL.

Al the other stuff is done.

Paul McGowan was arguing with our fans last night after our embarrassing start to the season. Apparently he was saying that some boys in our dressing room are in fear of doing anything with the ball as their scared of the fans giving them abuse if they misplace a pass etc. He then went on to say 'we need to stick together'. He finally followed this up with, 'Just look at St. Mirren, we can't end up like that'. I'm sure you're all extremely interested in this post but felt it was worth sharing.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Paul McGowan was arguing with our fans last night after our embarrassing start to the season. Apparently he was saying that some boys in our dressing room are in fear of doing anything with the ball as their scared of the fans giving them abuse if they misplace a pass etc. He then went on to say 'we need to stick together'. He finally followed this up with, 'Just look at St. Mirren, we can't end up like that'. I'm sure you're all extremely interested in this post but felt it was worth sharing.

Thommo once described Gowser as a cracking wee player, but he acts like the village idiot.

15 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Poor little souls.

Maybe they should be more worried about trying to sort out why they keep misplacing passes.

Although I suppose he's correct about our league status, albeit off the park we're in a pretty good place, at present. Any one of about 7 or 8 SPL clubs could end up in our league position, if they have a bad season.

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Can see what he means, some of our fans were too quick to get on the players backs and it effected them, especially the younger guys.

It only really went tits up after he was released though and that was down to an awful managerial appointment. That would be my advice for any Dundee fan turning on Hartley, he's a 3-4 just now? Dundee could roll a 6 but could easily roll a 1 and appoint a Tommy Craig and all the hard work of the last 3 seasons goes to shit.

40 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Hope none of them are policemen.

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

I, for one, could not give a f**k what Paul McGowan says at any point of any day anywhere.

Naw, I've got time for him. He was MotM on 17/3/13, and we should never, ever have let him go. Even though he is a daft c**t.

On the general point, I personally can never see the point in getting players' backs. It's quite clearly not going to help matters. I guess Dundee fans would do well to remember where they've come from over the past few seasons. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Having seen the video, he wasn't exactly arguing. The supporters were spitting horrible, vitriolic abuse at him and the team and he was trying to calm them down. 

Yeah - We have a local journo who likes to slate our players and spout nonsense at every available opportunity, so that's where I got that term before having watched the actual video.

Archived