League Cup 16/17 Draw

harry94

It's surely pretty obvious why the fixtures haven't been set. BT Sport are chucking a lot of money at this competition, so they're going to have the right to choose which fixtures they want to show.

If you chuck out a bunch of fixtures without that consultation then you might end up with three or four of their preferred games being held on the same matchday (eg 1st seeds v 2nd seeds). You'd then be either forced to move around the entire fixture list, or be stuck with 3 or 4 matchdays with no games on the TV.

The SPFL said the fixtures would be out within a week. A week hasn't passed yet. I'm not sure why that would mark them out as not being professional.

Well no - they can set up the vast majority of fixtures now and should have had a general schedule for fixtures before the draw was even made, while leaving notice that BT can reschedule the Sevco games and any other ties. The SPFL doesn't delay scheduling the league fixtures until the TV company picks every match they want to televise over the season.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't expect the fixtures to be drawn under this system, but rather to be predetermined - ie A v B, B v C1, C1 v A and so on.

Indeed. That would appear to be a simple and fair enough way of doing it. The actual combinations for each group could have been pre-drawn. Wouldn't have been that difficult to set up the process.

The delay is ridiculous.

Well no - they can set up the vast majority of fixtures now and should have had a general schedule for fixtures before the draw was even made, while leaving notice that BT can reschedule the Sevco games and any other ties. The SPFL doesn't delay scheduling the league fixtures until the TV company picks every match they want to televise over the season.

The SPFL take their time to schedule the league fixtures though - it's not just a case of plugging teams into a formula.  They wouldn't generally schedule 3 high profile fixtures on the same weekend.

This is more similar to the post-split fixture list, where they agree the fixtures in conjunction with broadcasters.

Indeed. That would appear to be a simple and fair enough way of doing it. The actual combinations for each group could have been pre-drawn. Wouldn't have been that difficult to set up the process.

The delay is ridiculous.

I think they are doing it that way.  I'd imagine the delay is more down to them deciding which actual matchdays the games are being played on.  For example, they wouldn't want top seed v second seed to be played on the same date in every group, because those games are most likely to be the ones BT want to televise (Rangers aside).

I wouldn't expect the fixtures to be drawn under this system, but rather to be predetermined - ie A v B, B v C1, C1 v A and so on.

The delay is ridiculous.

There's a pretty standard and straightforward set of pairing tables for round-robin events:

http://www.tournamentdirector.co.uk/berger_pairings.html

Generally, to complete a draw you'd also draw each team a number (1 to 5 in this case - with 6 being the bye) to determine who plays who home and away. It doesn't stop you moving the fixtures around to determine exactly when they're going to be played, but it does complete the draw in respect of what the fixtures are going to be. I'd not be happy about it if it transpires that bit is not being done randomly.

If that's the case why don't they say so on the website?

There's a pretty standard and straightforward set of pairing tables for round-robin events:

http://www.tournamentdirector.co.uk/berger_pairings.html

Generally, to complete a draw you'd also draw each team a number (1 to 5 in this case - with 6 being the bye) to determine who plays who home and away. It doesn't stop you moving the fixtures around to determine exactly when they're going to be played, but it does complete the draw in respect of what the fixtures are going to be. I'd not be happy about it if it transpires that bit is not being done randomly.

Surely the teams were drawn into these positions implicitly as part of the draw though?  The top seeds could be 1, then second seeds 2 and then 3, 4 and 5 would come down to the order in which the sides were drawn out.

Surely the teams were drawn into these positions implicitly as part of the draw though?  The top seeds could be 1, then second seeds 2 and then 3, 4 and 5 would come down to the order in which the sides were drawn out.

No, because that would mean the draw wasn't random, at least with respect to the first and second seeds.

In every group those two teams would know what their fixture pattern was automatically, and in particular which of the two of them was at home in their game against one another.

There can only be 3 ways of deciding who plays who home or away. (It is a separate matter as to what order that ultimate set of fixtures are played in).

(1) ... a pre-determined roster, into which teams are placed according to their seeding, or - in the case of the unseeded teams - the order in which they were drawn

(2) ... a random draw performed after the groups are known

(3) ... a committee of some kind

I can't imagine that (3) is how it's being done. You'd have thought they'd have done (2) as part of the TV draw rather than behind closed doors. Equally if it's (1) you'd think they would have published the roster beforehand.

So it is rather puzzling.

No, because that would mean the draw wasn't random, at least with respect to the first and second seeds.

In every group those two teams would know what their fixture pattern was automatically, and in particular which of the two of them was at home in their game against one another.

The draw is already not fully random as a result of it being seeded.

Even if the teams do know who they're playing, they don't necessarily know exactly when, which could be the delay.

The draw is already not fully random as a result of it being seeded.

Even if the teams do know who they're playing, they don't necessarily know exactly when, which could be the delay.

Well fair point, I'm not a big fan of seeded draws either, though it's not quite the same thing.

Only in scottish football do we know the teams that are in our group for a cup draw,but then have to wait a week to find out the fixtures,The spfl are useless w***s.

This has got disaster written all over it.

I've been away from Scotland for a few years now, can someone explain how/when Dumbarton relocated?

I can only think we had collective amnesia when it was moved, brick by brick, over to the North of the Clyde.

Archived