Brechin City Season 2016 / 2017

Buchan - what happened to him?

Everything else all ok but would Like Thommo - not sure why he'd opt for another part time club. Stay with us another year bang in 20 and get a move to a full time club. Simple. No?

Maybe because the team is a league higher. Is he good enough to step up?

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything else all ok but would Like Thommo - not sure why he'd opt for another part time club. Stay with us another year bang in 20 and get a move to a full time club. Simple. No?

Take any one of:

More money

Playing for a better side than Brechin

Playing at a higher level than he currently is

More exposure for getting aforementioned full-time move

Where is he studying at the moment?

went on loan to Broughty athletic they were playing him as a striker was banging the goals in. Agree about thommo aplenty dosent want full time and he's happy at brechin but wouldn't blame him for taking the chance at playing at a higher level

Take any one of:

More money..............................................................Possibly slightly more basic wage at Sons but potential of getting more goals and bonus money at Brechin . Can't see him scoring many at Sons . It took him long enough to form a partnership with Jackson. To start it all again with another forward might put him back to the extent that he doesn't get games. 

Playing for a better side than Brechin........................Debatable . :P  

Playing at a higher level than he currently is...............................The only possible reason he would move. 

More exposure for getting aforementioned full-time move..............How do you make that one out ?  I don't see Sons getting any more exposure than Brechin. 

Take any one of:

More money..............................................................Possibly slightly more basic wage at Sons but potential of getting more goals and bonus money at Brechin . Can't see him scoring many at Sons . It took him long enough to form a partnership with Jackson. To start it all again with another forward might put him back to the extent that he doesn't get games. 

Playing for a better side than Brechin........................Debatable . :P  

Playing at a higher level than he currently is...............................The only possible reason he would move. 

More exposure for getting aforementioned full-time move..............How do you make that one out ?  I don't see Sons getting any more exposure than Brechin. 

Possibly slightly more basic wage?  Come on, I'm not saying we're spending megabucks but with the away supports we've been pulling in for the last 4 years and with the increased prize money over the last 2 years I have no doubt in my mind that we can pay a good bit more than Brechin.  The rumour was last year that our top earner would've been on close to £450 a week (with bonus on top of that), do you really believe Brechin are able to pay that?

You agree that playing at a higher level is a reason he could move but disagree that he'd get more exposure in doing so?  It's blatantly obvious that you'll get more exposure in the Championship playing (and beating) teams like Hibs than you will playing teams like Albion Rovers in League 1, not quite sure why you're arguing against that - it's not a slight on Brechin.  If he tests himself against full-time opposition and is good, then full-time clubs don't need to worry about him making the step up, plus the majority of the likely ones he'd sign for will have directly seen him play.  

Possibly slightly more basic wage? Come on, I'm not saying we're spending megabucks but with the away supports we've been pulling in for the last 4 years and with the increased prize money over the last 2 years I have no doubt in my mind that we can pay a good bit more than Brechin. The rumour was last year that our top earner would've been on close to £450 a week (with bonus on top of that), do you really believe Brechin are able to pay that?

You agree that playing at a higher level is a reason he could move but disagree that he'd get more exposure in doing so? It's blatantly obvious that you'll get more exposure in the Championship playing (and beating) teams like Hibs than you will playing teams like Albion Rovers in League 1, not quite sure why you're arguing against that - it's not a slight on Brechin. If he tests himself against full-time opposition and is good, then full-time clubs don't need to worry about him making the step up, plus the majority of the likely ones he'd sign for will have directly seen him play.

See the SPFL prize money you c***s have gobbled up because of Stephen Grindlay man. You owe that man a statue. £160k you'll get this year for your league finish.

See the SPFL prize money you c***s have gobbled up because of Stephen Grindlay man. You owe that man a statue. £160k you'll get this year for your league finish.

Indeed we will, I'd happily see a big Shay statue erected down the Rock.  Although I think we owe most of our prize money to Ian Murray and now Stevie Aitken.

Da worry about Hedgie he takes every reply to heart ha ha , means well club at heart ! I agree Dumbarton are in a slightly better place than us just now but are always gonna be fighting to stay in that league . I d love to see you s do better don t get me wrong but I feel Thommo should stay another season and see how things pan out club stuck by him last year and start of this season when he was woeful tbh , so a wee bit respect back and I'm sure his chance would come ....

We will always be fighting relegation, aye, I just don't see that as a reason for a part-time player in this league not to try and play at the highest level available to them.

Appreciate that Brechin may have given the lad more time to settle in and find his feet and that may well impact his decision, but loyalty is rare in football these days, especially at lower league level where the turnover of players and managers is huge.  Anyway, we'll see what comes of it, if anything.

Possibly slightly more basic wage?  Come on, I'm not saying we're spending megabucks but with the away supports we've been pulling in for the last 4 years and with the increased prize money over the last 2 years I have no doubt in my mind that we can pay a good bit more than Brechin.  The rumour was last year that our top earner would've been on close to £450 a week (with bonus on top of that), do you really believe Brechin are able to pay that?

You agree that playing at a higher level is a reason he could move but disagree that he'd get more exposure in doing so?  It's blatantly obvious that you'll get more exposure in the Championship playing (and beating) teams like Hibs than you will playing teams like Albion Rovers in League 1, not quite sure why you're arguing against that - it's not a slight on Brechin.  If he tests himself against full-time opposition and is good, then full-time clubs don't need to worry about him making the step up, plus the majority of the likely ones he'd sign for will have directly seen him play.  

Aye you are probably right  although I can't see Thomo being a top earner straight away at Sons .  Also the exposure part is a bit questionable IMO as the media seem to concentrate on the bigger teams failures rather than the smaller teams strengths..

As you say though we will just have to wait and see what pans out. Obviously we would be gutted to lose him but hopefully the way he has been treated at Brechin might just sway his decision.  

Aye you are probably right  although I can't see Thomo being a top earner straight away at Sons .  Also the exposure part is a bit questionable IMO as the media seem to concentrate on the bigger teams failures rather than the smaller teams strengths..

As you say though we will just have to wait and see what pans out. Obviously we would be gutted to lose him but hopefully the way he has been treated at Brechin might just sway his decision.

You do realise that there are other media outlets beyond The Courier and The Brechin Advertiser?

You do realise that there are other media outlets beyond The Courier and The Brechin Advertiser?

It is the other media outlets I am on about.  The tabloids are notorious for this style of reporting and now that Sevco are out of the Championship the TV companies won't be bothered at all.   Just an observation . 

The Moonster is spot on here in everything he's saying not sure why people are getting defensive about it it's not a pop at Brechin.

I agree with most of what he is saying as well. Just throwing in a few " what ifs "  just in case Thomo is reading this !   ;)   

The media exposure we have received in this league has been night and day compared to League 1/2nd division (as it was known when we were last here). That has obviously been enhanced with Rangers, Hibs and Hearts being in the league but either way there has been a large difference.

You also have more chance of getting noticed playing against the bigger teams.

It may come to nothing, we may not even be in for him but I think if we offered him a deal bettering what Brechin have offered he'll sign it. Players will more often than not want to play at the higher level against bigger teams and that's absolutely not a dig at Brechin who have done a tremendous job in turning around what was looking like a dire season. Jimmy Lister was an exception to that rule mind you due to where he lives (apparently) so I suppose you never know. Is Thomson Glasgow based?

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Dumbarton. Whilst they might never win the league they are in they are now what could probably described as an established Championship team with it being their third(?) season in there.

Would be a no brainer for me where I'd go next season, especially if they offered a couple of hundred quid a week more if that's what is likely to happen.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Dumbarton. Whilst they might never win the league they are in they are now what could probably described as an established Championship team with it being their third(?) season in there.

Would be a no brainer for me where I'd go next season, especially if they offered a couple of hundred quid a week more if that's what is likely to happen.

Our next season will be our 5th :)

The reality is that if Dumbarton do indeed make a move for Thomson then he will be away. Higher level, more local, more money. I'm not convinced he's ready for the Championship yet, let's not forget that outwith the last two months he has been poor this season, but that can be said for just about every player. Can't really argue with his scoring record for us though. All the best to him if he ends up there.

Thomson is based in Houston, so Dumbarton would be much better from a travelling point of view.

I agree. Much closer to Glasgow airport after the weekly long haul flight.

Archived