Best late night albums

sidofthesouth

Lying on the couch in the dark with a bottle of wine listening to Hats by The Blue Nile, just after Solid Air by John Martyn.

Other fav late night albums:

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Nick Cave - Nocturama

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

Damien Rice - O

Justin Currie - What is Love For

Richard Hawley - Lady's Bridge

I Am Kloot - Northern Skies

Portishead - Dummy

KT Tunstall - invisible Empire

The Verve - Forth

Any other suggestions?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago.

'Blindsided' for the melancholy, and 'Re:Stacks' - ''l'll keep throwing down 200 at a time'' for the ah-f**k-it!

The Album Leaf - In A Safe Place.

Just very nice electronic music that'll help see in the early hours.

Owen - No Good for No One.

Single, married, divorced, scorned - whatever you are ; this album will break your heart. Great melodies, folk singing, and some amazing lyrics - "I never asked to be nobody's nothing'', and the song 'Poor Souls' perfectly sums up being utterly hopeless, drunk, and lonely "Long night, last call, bloodshot eyes from drinks' too tall..... which one of you poor souls is going to drive me home''.

Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister.

A perfect album. And an even better album for a long, late night - studying, or working to.

Sun Kil Moon - Benji.

This a long with Red House Painters - Songs For A Blue Guitar are up there. Although SFABG has a few wanky/loud guitar solos throughout. Benji lyrics, and songs are perfect and you'll get sucked in listening to them.

Youth Lagoon - The Year of Hibernation.

Electronic/piano soundscapes with poppy melodies over it.

Wheat - Hope and Adams.

No idea how this band did not make it any bigger than a very small cult following. 'Don't I Hold You' seems to pop up in the odd Cameron Crow film, or TV series now and again, but nothing really happened. American indie-rock. Some utterly fantastic tunes on here. I'm not selling this at all, but it's a terrific album. Can't believe it's near 17 years old.

Miami Horror - All Possible Futures.

Sounds like everything from College, Toro Y Moi, Beach House to  generic bubblegum pop. You could probably dance to this too if that's your thing, or wanted to chat to someone late in to the night.

Nick Drake, John Martyn, Phil Collins, Jose Gonzalez, Beach House, James Taylor, Neil Halstead (not Slowdive though), and Tom Waits is a great shot for the last whisky/drink of the night. Or the auld folk songs for that too.

Spiritualized- ladies and gentlemen

Mercury Rev - deserters songs

Morcheeba - big calm

Massive attack - mezzanine

Velvet underground and nico

Love - forever changes

Pink Floyd - dark side of the moon

Primal scream - screamadelica

Funkadelic- funkadelic

Rolling Stones - exile on main st

Sam Prekop - Who's Your New Professor

Sam Prekop was the main guy in a well regarded late eighties/early ninties US indie band called Shrimpboat who are all but unknown over here.  Who's Your New Professor was his 2nd solo album and it has a lovely laid back groove ideal for winding down to.

Sonic Youth - EVOL

Probably my favourite album of all time.  Definitely a tripping at 3am in dark room while lying on Persian cushions type LP.  At least for me. Not for falling asleep too, more to go somewhere dark and surreal.  When the guitar comes at 2.12 it just takes me to a secret place in a different dimension....

Archived