Groundshares: The Ultimate List

HibeeJibee

We haven't played at Firhill for two consecutive games so for the purposes of this thread they are irrelevant.

The three games we have played as the home team at Firhill were:

22/08/06, League Cup v Aberdeen, due to Rolling Stones concert.

09/05/07, League 2 Play Off Final 1st Leg v East Fife, due to UEFA Cup Final at Hampden the following week.

04/08/12, League Cup v Airdrie United, due to Olympic football at Hampden.

There's another one to add to your list, Albion Rovers played at Broomfield at the start of 1985/86 season, I think due to safety issues at Cliftonhill,

The Scottish Football League review book of 1986/87 says "Cliftonhill was closed for the start of the league campaign and thanks are once again afforded to the generosity of our good neighbours, Airdrieonians, for allowing Rovers to play their first three home matches at Broomfield Park".

Good to know.

A bit of an O/T question, but is there ever a plan for QP to play some matches at Lesser Hampden, it seems to have had a big face lift recently.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I attended the match between Albion Rovers (3) and Clydebank (4) at Broomfield in September 1989. Were Rovers maybe ground sharing for that whole season?

Pretty sure it was just for the first few games - I remember we played Albion Rovers in the Scottish Cup later that season winning 2-0 with a double from John Davies and the other league game on the last day of the season we won 2-1 with goals from George Rowe and Ken Eadie. Both games were definitely at Cliftonhill.

Here are highlights from that 4-3 Bankies win at Broomfield in September 1989

Clydebank as well as our ground sharing days at Boghead and Cappielow also used other grounds for home games on several occasions

Season 96/97 - League Cup v Rangers and Scottish Cup v Celtic - both played at Firhill

Season 98/99 - we played a "home" Scottish Cup tie v Dundee United at Forthbank

I also vaguely recall us beating East Stirling 1-0 circa 1981/82? in a game played at Brockville - sure Gerry McCabe got the only goal.

We played a home Scottish cup quarter final against Rangers at Tannadice and also a Scottish cup tie against St Johnstone at Victoria Park, Dingwall in January 2005, when our ground was being rebuilt.

Didn't Berwick use Tynecastle when locked out of Shielfield? I may have imaginrd that. Also, didn't Hamilton use Fir Park consecutively in 1997, certain i went to a game there v Ayr, near the end of the season, and it wasn't the only one.

They used Meadowbank for a "home" match and also Tynecastle in the early to mid 1990s but I don't remember the exact circumstances. 

With Shire going down, with Ochilview next season be the first example of a league side sharing with a senior non-league team?

No... currently happens at Forthbank, Broadwood, Palmerston, Galabank and Excelsior (if counting Glasgow Uni as seniors).

Probably some cases back-in-the-day, too.

SOS League club Heston Rovers (ex-Dumfries HSFP). Moved there when QotS put 3G down in 2013.

Yep, Heston Rovers have been using Palmerston since then. Clearly we have first call on the ground. They tend to play home Saturdays when we are away. The South League presumably work their fixtures around ours as far as possible. And they have the odd midweek or Friday night game.

They used Meadowbank for a "home" match and also Tynecastle in the early to mid 1990s but I don't remember the exact circumstances. 

They got chucked out of Shielfield by the guy who ran the greyhound racing and had the lease.

Seem to recall Berwick playing a home Scottish Cup tie at Bayview Park for some reason back in the 80's!!!

• 6 months later...

Hamilton shared with Partick - lasted for 3 seasons ending 1996-97

1997-98

Hamilton shared with Albion Rovers - lasted for 2 seasons ending 1998-99

Hamilton shared with Partick - lasted for 2 seasons ending 2000-01

Hamilton Accies were still at Firhill during the 1998/99 season. That's where Hibs beat them 2-0 to clinch the first division league title

Archived